PDA

View Full Version : which yarn for special pair of socks?

tarrentella
04-14-2007, 12:45 PM
My BF is off to treck the Inca Trail in Peru later this year (how else do would you spend your summer!! :rofl: ) and i thought that it would be nice if i could knt him some good sturdy socks. I have neve knitted socks before, and am going to be using Silvers Sock Tutorial because it is brilliant and comes so highly recomended.

The problem is i have no idea which yarn to use. I think traditional sock yarn would be to lightwieght. These socks need to be fairly thick and sturdy to go well inside hiking boots and to survive for weeks slogging through mountains. Unfortunatly my local LYS's arn't exactly overflowing with a variety of yarns, and im not good at judging the weight/texture of yarns online.

What would you suggest?

chiricahuagal
04-14-2007, 02:23 PM
OT:

My BF is off to treck the Inca Trail in Peru later this year (how else do would you spend your summer!! )

I'm so jealous - I have always wanted to do that. I went to Machu Picchu mumbledy some odd years ago (almost 40 yrs??? eeee) and saw people on the trail, and that's been my dream vacation. One day...

I look forward to the answers because I want to make some good hiking socks too!

Krautie
04-14-2007, 02:36 PM
You can take two threads of traditional sock yarn together - that makes the socks more sturdy than only one thread.

Traditional sock yarn would be the best for your project, I think. It is very robust and that is really important for those socks!

Krautie

tarrentella
04-14-2007, 02:38 PM
Actually i have to agree ... im a bit jealous, id love to be doing it myslef! as it is i can't go because i'll have just gotten back from an archaeological dig in the Philippines, I'm just not a 'sun sand and sangria' holiday sort of person! might have to knit myself a knee mat for the dig :teehee:

Mulderknitter
04-14-2007, 07:06 PM
Silver's tutorial has directions for different weights of yarn. I do like the idea of doubling the sock yarn though. If you have a ball winder it would be really easy to just take 2 skeins of yarn and wind them into a cake together, then you only have one source to work from.

XbelovedXoneX
04-14-2007, 07:14 PM
My husband has interest in doing rustic camping, so I've entertained ideas of making him some good study socks also. I just couldn't imagine any thin sock yarn handling his abuse! :teehee:

Jill A.
04-14-2007, 08:13 PM
I'm going to add a question on to this thread. My husband does alot of winter camping (yea, snow). He would like me to knit a custom sized pair of socks for him, but they need to be wool. What wool works well for socks? The socks can be thick as long as they fit length-wise.

Jeremy
04-15-2007, 10:12 AM
I think I would go with some nice washable wool yarn maybe in a worsted weight and I would double up with nylon thread in the heel and toe because those are the areas that will wear out faster. Also, if you go with the worseted it will be easier to knit with if these are your first pair and if all goes well you can knit two pair for him because they will go much faster. Good Luck.

NinaT
04-15-2007, 12:36 PM
KnitPicks has a free pattern download for a wool boot sock (http://www.knitpicks.com/Boot%20Socks_PD50529220.html). The swish superwash they recommend is really soft and can be washed in the machine. I'm making a pair for DH!

tarrentella
04-15-2007, 03:53 PM
i had a look at that and while the idea of getting two socks done in the time of knitting one sock is quite a nice thought ... the pattern intimidates me somewhat ..

2 circualrs? 2 balls aof yarn ... just the bit about casting on gave me a a bit of a nervous twitch!! :?? :pout:

I like the idea of worsted weight yarn and a bit of nylon thread - now can anyone give me a specific brand (sorry for being so useless).

mwedzi
04-16-2007, 08:05 AM
If you don't want the socks to be quite as thick as doubled (maybe they'd make his shoes fit too tight?) or you just don't want to double the yarn (I find using 2 strands at once less comfortable to me for knitting) you can just use heavier weight sock yarn. Regia, for example, is pretty well known for being hard-wearing, and it has the 6-ply version as well, which is a sport weight, I think.

Jeremy
04-16-2007, 11:47 AM
I think you can use any good washable wool eg. Plymouth Encore. The reason I'm so stuck on the wool idea for you is that its going to be in the winter months if its summer here. Cotton, if its wet, gets really cold and stays wet for a long time. Wool is warm even when wet.