PDA

View Full Version : Finally Some Knitting Time!

Knitting_Guy
04-14-2007, 02:48 PM
:cheering:

I'm pulling an oversized load, a fire truck, down to Houston from Wisconsin. Thanks to the Illinois regulations regarding moving oversized loads I have to remain parked between noon Saturday and sunrise Monday so I have plenty of time to do some knitting for a change.

Maybe I can get one of the socks finished.

I have to do some laundry too, and can get some knitting time in while the machines do their magic changing dirty duds into clean ones.

After the past week or so it's nice to finally have a little bit of a break and just sit and knit. I was sitting in the truck stop tv lounge after lunch watching the idiot box and working on my sock when another driver came in, sat down, and asked me what I was doing.

I told him I was knitting a sock. "You can actually knit socks?" was his response.

"Ummm, yeah dude, socks don't grow on trees ya know."

He really seemed fascinated with the idea that a person could actually knit their own socks.

:rofl:

Ingrid
04-14-2007, 03:02 PM
That's what the sailors used to do! :shrug:

tarrentella
04-14-2007, 03:07 PM
my housemate is somthing of an 'end product' knid of guy. HE can't seem to grasp that i can make things like hats from scratch (or dresses when im sewing. .... cooking leaves him baffled and im not sure he has ever realy though about where milk and eggs come from ... Hes a worry realy.

I find myself leaving half finished pieces of knitting just lying around in order to confuse him.

Glad you getting a break over the weekend.

auburnchick
04-14-2007, 03:12 PM
:cheering:

Good for you!

I have four more weeks of school in this term. Then I'll have a brief break before the next one starts. Can you say, "knitting every day?!"

:teehee:

RiverDaughter
04-14-2007, 04:41 PM
Yay for you! I was planning knitting all day today, but my bf is taking me somewhere tomorrow (I have no idea where, he just said that my dress shoes should be able to be comfortable to walk in, so now I have to buy new shoes :teehee: ), so that plan flew out the window. And I just started my Hush-Hush too!

Good luck on the socks! :cheering:

CateKnits
04-14-2007, 05:34 PM
That's what the sailors used to do! :shrug:

Ohhh, maybe there's hope for teaching my brother after all! :teehee:

Mason, I've gotten the same reaction and it's always socks! People can fathom knitting a sweater or mittens or whatever, but not socks for some reason. :shrug:

Jan in CA
04-14-2007, 05:43 PM
Mason, I've gotten the same reaction and it's always socks! People can fathom knitting a sweater or mittens or whatever, but not socks for some reason. :shrug:

I think it's because they know you can buy socks so much cheaper. What they don't get is how enjoyable it is and that makes it worth it. :teehee:

carmabelle1191
04-14-2007, 05:58 PM

I think it's because they know you can buy socks so much cheaper. What they don't get is how enjoyable it is and that makes it worth it. :teehee:
My mom thought the same thing when I started to knit socks. She thought it was a waste of time because A) no one would see them and B) you can buy them cheaper than making them. But then I made her a pair of Bedtime Socks (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewtopic.php?p=420895&highlight=bedtime+socks#420895) for her because she said her feet were always so cold, and she tried on the end product and now she says she uses them almost like slippers! I say she's a convert. Now, if only I could convert my dad. :teehee:
Glad you have more knitting time Mason! I find that I don't get as much knitting time as I'd like when I have more homework and tests. Whenever I have days off, I knit the day away. For February break, I holed myself up for a week sitting in front of the computer and knitting my sock obsessively. I wouldn't even call my friend because I knew I couldn't knit wherever she wanted us to go. :doh: :teehee:

Knitting_Guy
04-14-2007, 07:30 PM
Thanks everyone. I've been busily knitting away in the truck stop.

For me it isn't about whether or not I can buy them cheaper. As has already been said, it's about the doing not the finished product, except of course for that little bit of pride in saying "I made these".

I related it to not being about the destination but rather the journey itself.

Andrea
04-14-2007, 08:44 PM
Where you at in IL? You could have came to our knit together today in Rockford! :teehee:

Knitting_Guy
04-14-2007, 08:59 PM
Actually I'm just a little South of Rockford, in Rochelle.

Petals
04-14-2007, 09:26 PM
You could have had someone pick you up on the way to Rockford! Darn!

No some people just don't get the sock thing.

baronreads
04-14-2007, 10:13 PM
You could have had someone pick you up on the way to Rockford! Darn!

No some people just don't get the sock thing.

Wouldn't THAT have been cool!

Mason - you just crack me up AND I am in AWE of ALL of the guys that knit! I was just telling DH about you guys! Glad you found some quiet time today! Drive safe!