PDA

View Full Version : Honest opinions needed.

SabrinaJL
04-14-2007, 09:02 PM
I made some stitch markers for a friend. I had a blast making them and I really like them, but once I was done, I started thinking they might not be the most practical things ever. So I'm not really sure if I'm going to actually give them to her.

I want to know if you would use these markers or not. I REALLY want honesty. If you wouldn't use them, please tell me why you wouldn't (and because you think they're ugly is a perfectly valid reason that will NOT hurt my feelings :roflhard:).

Since they're the first ones I've ever made, I tried them out (to see if they'd catch the yarn or if the charms would get in the way, etc...). The good things are they didn't catch, the markers are long enough that the charms don't get in the way and they make kind of a nice jingly sound. The potential bad things are some people might find them a little heavy (didn't bother me) and when you switch needles, you need to give them a little flip so they're back on the right side.

Discuss.

figaro
04-14-2007, 09:05 PM
I like them, I have yet to use stitch markers but I think those are nice. I would think that as long as they are not too heavy and that they don't catch on lace weight they should be fine. :shrug:

Jan in CA
04-14-2007, 09:20 PM
They are beautiful! My only concern is the pointy edges of the charms. I think I'd be afraid they'd catch on the knitting.

KnitClickChick
04-14-2007, 09:29 PM
Those are beautiful! As mentioned above though, I would be afraid they might catch on the yarn. But I would still try them anyhow!

brendajos
04-14-2007, 09:33 PM
my first thought was that they are beautiful but that they would snag a lot.

they would make GREAT charms for purses though!

five_six
04-14-2007, 09:56 PM
I make my markers in a similar way, and I have to give them a little flick sometimes too... the other green ones are on my knitting at the moment. I find the irridescent pink ones really useful too, if you are knitting somewhere with limited light, your markers really stand out. I always end mine with larger beads though, as my concern with charms is that they will snag a bit too.

Sorry bout the blurriness of the pic

hunterjenn
04-14-2007, 10:24 PM
They're cute! I wouldn't use them because I like the ones that open and close, but that's just me. :shrug:

1knittychick
04-14-2007, 10:28 PM
cute
but will they snag the yarn?

SabrinaJL
04-14-2007, 10:38 PM
As I said, I did use them and they didn't catch on the yarn. Perhaps I'll just give them to her and she can try them herself and see if she likes them. If not, no big.

XbelovedXoneX
04-14-2007, 10:59 PM
I have actually made stitch markers with those same charms before! I didn't think they posed any problems. I wouldn't use them with laceweight, but worsted is just fine. All my nice beaded stitch markers always need a little flip to keep them on the right side. There's been more than a few time when the somehow got a bead knitted into the fabric. :oops:

Ingrid
04-14-2007, 11:18 PM
I think they're adorable! I like my hanging stitch markers--they don't fly off like little rings can.

dustinac
04-14-2007, 11:44 PM
Those are cute!!

I've found with the home made stich markers I have that most yarns I can deal with but lace/fingering weight yarn they don't work as well with.. I use mine when I can.. and some I put on these (http://www.joanns.com/catalog.jhtml;$sessionid$5WPXNFIAAG3TUP4SY5KRIHR50 LD3UEPO?CATID=82328&PRODID=139324&source=search) and it helps.. I need to order some jump rings with no split and put them all on those but haven't done it yet... :teehee:

Aquaria
04-15-2007, 12:03 AM
Wow these are gorgeous! :notworthy:

I would use them if they don't catch on the fabric :wink:

ps. I'll have them if she doesn't want them! :eyebrow:
:roflhard:

aineepooh1
04-15-2007, 01:02 AM
I :heart: em.. I :heart: :heart: the butterflies.. they don't LOOK heavy and if they are they would be great with a bulky wt yarn (my :heart: yarn)
I think theyre adorable..
I am with Quairia.. if SHE doesnt' want em .. GIVE EM TO ME~~

I would gladly help you with your little "problem"
:happydance: :cheering:

brokenblossoms
04-15-2007, 01:23 AM
I don't use stitch markers, but if I had a set of yours, I'd use them religiously! They are beautiful!

RiverDaughter
04-15-2007, 04:21 AM
Those are just adorable! I would think they would catch on lace work, but anything else would be fine. I'm finding myself needing to use stitch markers for the first time, and I wish I had a set as beautiful as that. But I make do with bits of off colored yarn tied in knots. :teehee:

bobi1218
04-15-2007, 07:23 AM
I think they're adorable!! Since you said they don't snag, I would give them to her, they are beautiful :)

mwedzi
04-15-2007, 08:58 AM
I think they're really pretty, honestly. butterflies and dragonflies are my favorites. I have a few pretty stitch markers, but I think the rings on mine are too big. Yours look nice and slim. Not my top preference but just because I crochet and you can only use those for knitting. I would love them, though.

SabrinaJL
04-15-2007, 11:21 AM
Thanks for all the nice replies. :muah: I think I'll go ahead and give them to her. Heh, to be perfectly honest, I wouldn't actually use them myself. After trying many different stitch markers, I've found I like these (http://joanns.com/catalog.jhtml;$sessionid$CDDWH1QAASEX4P4SY5NBHOR50 LD3OEPO?CATID=82328&PRODID=108615&source=search) ones the best. Although Ingrid makes a good point about the ones I made not popping off, which the soft ones do all the time.

Knitting_Guy
04-15-2007, 12:20 PM
Very nice.