PDA

View Full Version : What is this yarn?

cds11
04-14-2007, 11:42 PM
So, I recently acquired some yarn, but I don't know what it is, what it's made out of, or what I can do with it... So I'm hoping someone has some ideas... So, here's some pictures, and anything you wonderful people can tell me would be awesome!

If you need some kind of different picture to help figure it out.. let me know... Also, is there any way to guess how much there is? :teehee: sorry, I have a lot of questions...

brendajos
04-14-2007, 11:45 PM
they just look like regular boucle's to me....though that blue and purple looks a little like homespun. not sure about that silver either....doesn't look fuzzy like the others do to me.

dustinac
04-14-2007, 11:50 PM
My first thought was Homespun but I could be wrong on that.. I'd prolly hand wash it just in case it is some kinda of wool.. or make a small swatch and see if it felts :shrug:

I found this on how to measure yarn
http://www.spinderellas.com/patterns/yarnchart.html

aineepooh1
04-15-2007, 01:53 AM
YEP>> YOu got youself some BOUCLE yarn ( b/c of the squiggly twists in them) and the blue is a bulky/superbulky wt yarn (sz 5/6) the other 2 look like worsted weight boucle.. they LOOK acrlyic to me .. I dont THINK they are natural fibers.. they look like LIon brand homespun or red heart light and lofty to me..
can you weigh your skeins to find out how much they weigh??

cds11
04-15-2007, 02:09 AM
Unfortunately I don't think I'll be able to weigh them... I have a scale that I weigh myself with, but I don't think it will be able to accurately tell me how much the yarn weighs...

So maybe I'll just have to try the swatch thing and see what happens... does it matter what size of needles? (Sorry, I'm still kinda new... )

nonny2t
04-15-2007, 02:33 AM
I was going to jump in with the Homespun also. I think the other ladies put you on a good track to find out what your yarn weight is etc and I agree that I would handwash or make a swatch and machine wash to see about it's durability. Good luck and hope you find something terrific to make.

KnitClickChick
04-15-2007, 07:53 AM
This might help you figuring out what the yarn is made of. Very nice, btw.

http://www.ditzyprints.com/dpburnchart.html

Linda0902
05-24-2007, 05:10 PM
Sorry, folks. I disagree. Homespun doesn't come like that. It comes in skeins.
Linda

Kaydee
05-24-2007, 05:19 PM
Maybe someone wound it like that.:shrug:

Braden
05-24-2007, 05:31 PM
I would go with Homespun, but I would knit a swatch just to make sure.

brownishcoat
05-24-2007, 08:00 PM
You can try the burn test. If it melts, it's synthetic like acrylic. If it ashes, it's natural like cotton or wool. This should help determine the type of care and blocking needed.

It looks like acrylic to me, also. But some acrylics need to be handwashed and laid flat to dry, so fully laundering the swatch would be a very good idea.

cds11
05-24-2007, 10:28 PM
Thanks everyone! I still have yet to do a swatch, or burn test.. :lol: I will get to it, there's just so much stuff to do.... stupid work, getting in the way of knitting...:roflhard:

suzeeq
05-24-2007, 11:20 PM
The bluish one could be Homespun, but the red and light colored ones look more like boucle.

sue