PDA

View Full Version : options needles untwisting??

3kids1036
04-15-2007, 04:11 PM
They won't stay connected....did I do something wrong?

TIA

kristinw
04-15-2007, 04:15 PM
Are you using the little wrench to tighten them?

3kids1036
04-15-2007, 04:16 PM
what little wrench and how do i do that?

losnana
04-15-2007, 04:32 PM
There is a little metal thingamajig that came with them. It looks like a wire with a loop on one end. Put the straight end into the hole where the cable connects to the needle and use the other end to twist, thus tightening the connection. Twist the opposite way to loosen. That should keep them from disconnecting.

Knitting_Guy
04-15-2007, 04:45 PM
Mine do it too, whether I use the key or not. I've just gotten used to it and just give them a little tighten every time I do a round.

KnittyKitty
04-15-2007, 04:56 PM
I've wondered the same thing... if I was doing something wrong. I've used the little metal key to tighten them but they've unwound themselves twice. So I'm just careful when knitting every couple rows to make sure they are still connected. Ugh.

cristina61
04-15-2007, 06:01 PM
I noticed this also. I got my Options recently and had cast on over 400 stitches for a Mmmmalabrigo scarf when suddenly one of the tips came off in my hand. :grrr:

It wasn't exactly a disaster but being me, I decided to frog the whole thing and try something a little less ambitious -- like maybe it was a sign.

Since then I've been careful to check that everything's staying tight.

kristinw
04-15-2007, 06:40 PM
hmm, I've used mine since last year and have never had a problem. I wonder if they had a bad batch go out.

Knitting_Guy
04-15-2007, 07:29 PM
I suppose it's possible that it's a bad batch. I'll email Knit Picks to see if they're getting complaints.

BostonBecca
04-15-2007, 07:39 PM
The same thing happens with mine! When did everyone who is having this problem get their options?

I got mine in March.

Knitting_Guy
04-15-2007, 07:43 PM
I ordered mine in February.

I just sent them an email making them aware of the fact that it seems several of us are experiencing this problem (until now I thought it was just me). I also let them know that this thread exists here discussing the issue.

Hopefully they'll respond early this week and we can find out what's going on with them.

BostonBecca
04-15-2007, 07:46 PM
Wow, thanks Mason!

I will have to have my boyfriend send an e-mail since he bought my options for me. I still like them, it just gets sorta old having to retighten them all the time.

I also thought it was just me and had something to do with how I knit.

Knitting_Guy
04-15-2007, 07:55 PM
Well I guess this is a good lesson on why one should post and ask instead of assuming "it's just me". :rofl:

HamaLee
04-15-2007, 08:48 PM
This happened to me also (got mine in January). Call them up and tell them, they should replace all the offending parts for free as they did for me.

Of course now, months later, I'm finding the same problem with one of my cables. But that's not such a big deal as when the problem is the tips. I've got plenty of extra cables.

Good luck!

carmabelle1191
04-15-2007, 08:52 PM
I wonder if my Options would have the same problem, as I just got them a few days ago. Maybe it was a bad batch that a few people have. :shrug: I also didn't know what to do with the key and what it was for, so good thing I read this thread. :oops:

losnana
04-15-2007, 09:05 PM
Mine were a christms present, but were ordered in November. I use them constantly, and have NEVER had this problem.

Mommy22alyns
04-15-2007, 09:25 PM
Anxiously awaiting my full set... The small taste I got, I used the key on one side and not the other - the side where I didn't use it loosened up. A quick snug with the key and it's just fine!

momwolf
04-15-2007, 09:29 PM
What's the deal with the Options?You all have had to many problems with them. :!!!: I don't think this is very good for their business. You shouldn't have to keep calling them to get new replacements.Good thing I order only a couple to try them out before I bought the whole set.Will have to wait for them to come in the mail to see if mine ar screwed up too :!!!:

3kids1036
04-15-2007, 09:56 PM
Wow, and here I was thinking I was asking a silly question lol, SO glad I asked now!!!

cristina61
04-15-2007, 10:24 PM
I got mine this month.

I know there was a thread in December about the tips coming off, but no one ever mentioned them actually coming unscrewed, so I thought it might be a slightly different issue. Maybe it's a continuing problem :shrug:

cristina61
04-15-2007, 10:29 PM
I got mine this month.

I searched and found a thread in December about the tips coming off, but no one ever mentioned them actually coming unscrewed, so I thought it might be a slightly different issue. Maybe it's a continuing problem :shrug:

Jan in CA
04-15-2007, 10:36 PM
What's the deal with the Options?You all have had to many problems with them. :!!!: I don't think this is very good for their business. You shouldn't have to keep calling them to get new replacements.Good thing I order only a couple to try them out before I bought the whole set.Will have to wait for them to come in the mail to see if mine ar screwed up too :!!!:

:?? I don't think there has been that many problems considering how many people have them. It won't stop me from getting them. I know Denise needles have occasionally had problems, too. :shrug:

FWIW.. my one circ has been fine..never came unscrewed while using it.

LadyB
04-15-2007, 11:20 PM
I just had to say, I got my Options last week and have just used them to knit a sweater with NO problems. The Options are Wonderful to knit with!

jc4shrx
04-15-2007, 11:30 PM
I got mine a few weeks ago and don't have problems when I use the key. I just finished knitting the back of a tunic on them. I love them. :heart:

five_six
04-16-2007, 12:25 AM
I got mine a couple of weeks ago, and I haven't had this problem. I checked everything over when they arrived, and thank goodness, all seemed to be good with the cables (they all screwed into the tips nicely), and unless there is something I didn't think to check, they are AOK! I seriously doubt mine would have been replaced if I did have any problems though... I'm just glad I seem to have gotten a 'good' set!

boyforpele13
04-16-2007, 12:58 AM
actually, this was one of the things i commented on NOT happening when i first got my Options (don't have a full set, buying piecemeal), I used the size 13s to make 2 pairs of clogs consecutively for Christmas and never had to tighten them and frankly was shocked, but lately i've been noticing a problem every couple rounds on my 10s, but I have not been able to tighten them adequately since I've misplaced the wrenchy thing. :oops: Nothing devastating has happened yet, so I'm going to stick with them, I still love them!

SandraEllen
04-16-2007, 08:17 AM
boyforpele, I think I've used a thumbtack or paper clip to tighten mine in a pinch...

dustinac
04-16-2007, 08:50 AM
I got mine for Christmas and have not had any problems.. my mom got her set prolly in Feb and one did came untwisted on her.. now she checks every so many rows to see if it needs tightened...

I'm sorry so many of you are having problems with them.. I really do love mine and use them all the time..

lauraknits
04-16-2007, 09:22 AM
FWIW, I have had mine since oct or nov last year and have never had this problem when I have tightened them with the key. Sorry some of you have had so much trouble with yours!

carmabelle1191
04-16-2007, 11:36 AM
Is the key supposed to go in the little hole by the place where you screw your needles in? That's the only hole I see that the cable key fits into. The only problem is, the cable key doesn't seem to do a thing. Doesn't really make sense to me. Is it possible it's just my set? :verysad:

3kids1036
04-16-2007, 11:39 AM
It works, keep twisting. I thought the same thing, and yes, that is where it goes.

Mommy22alyns
04-16-2007, 11:42 AM
Is the key supposed to go in the little hole by the place where you screw your needles in? That's the only hole I see that the cable key fits into. The only problem is, the cable key doesn't seem to do a thing. Doesn't really make sense to me. Is it possible it's just my set? :verysad:

Basically what the key actually does is get a better hold on the cable so you can screw the needles in tighter. You don't get as good a grip just holding it with your fingers. :thumbsup:

auburnchick
04-16-2007, 11:43 AM

You use the key as leverage so that when you turn the needles, the cable doesn't turn with it.

I would suggest that those of you who have problems call KP. You may have defective threading. But make sure you tighten them using the key first. Just to be sure. Check all of your cables too.

I haven't had any problems with mine. I've had mine since January. I really put them to the test yesterday when I started making a bathmat. I'm using three strands of double-worsted yarn. The cables have not come unscrewed, and I worked on the mat all day.

KathyinCali
04-16-2007, 12:32 PM
I got mine the same time as Mason and mine are coming apart the same as many of you. Rather annoying really. I'm constantly having to check the tips after a row. I've used the key and even had DH try to tighten them but they loosen up anyway.

CarmenIbanez
04-16-2007, 12:48 PM
Definitely sounds like a bad batch, as I have had mine since, well, since last fall? I can't remember exactly. but I don't have trouble with them at all!

carmabelle1191
04-16-2007, 12:58 PM

Basically what the key actually does is get a better hold on the cable so you can screw the needles in tighter. You don't get as good a grip just holding it with your fingers. :thumbsup:
Oh. I thought the cable key was supposed to somehow turn to make the needles tighter. That now makes more sense. Why didn't I think of that? I have been making some very stupid mistakes lately. :teehee: :oops:

auburnchick
04-16-2007, 01:03 PM
Sarah, I did the same thing too. I thought the key would tighten it until someone here explained exactly how to use it. It's not a stupid mistake. I think the term "key" is a bit misleading.

BostonBecca
04-16-2007, 01:05 PM
I have been using the key as leverage. It helps a little bit but they still unscrew every five to ten rows. It only unscrews enough so there is a small gap but the yarn gets stuck in the gap and then I have to tug on it to get it out which is not good for my yarn, I am always afraid it will snap. I hate having to slide the stitches down onto the cable as well to rescrew the needle tip onto the cable tightly. I just emailed them to see what they say. I had to get the order number from my boyfriend as they were a gift.

mwedzi
04-16-2007, 01:50 PM
Yeah, I've had a few problems, though more with the cable actually coming out of the metal holder. I think this being their first year of production, they haven't worked out all the kinks. But the key does help (assuming it's not actually broken.)

brownishcoat
04-16-2007, 02:52 PM
The Boye interchangeables set comes with a rubber grip to give an extra bit of leverage. The Options set doesn't, so I made my own by cutting out the palm of a rubber glove (as Amy suggested). I use it to grip the needle while using the key for leverage. It definitely makes a difference.

I'd give that a try before contacting Knitpicks.

Paws4Knitting
04-16-2007, 04:19 PM
Well, I am bummed to hear there are so many people who are having a bit of difficulties with their Options, escpecially since I just ordered mine. :shrug: I am hoping I do not run into any trouble with them.

I do believe that some of you are having to do a lot to work with these needles, when the company should probably respond and fix this isue for you. I would imagine it is not that fun for you to constantly check or worry about your needles coming undone, especially with projects.
:eyes:

I look forward to hearing how they respond.

Knitting_Guy
04-16-2007, 07:10 PM
Ok folks. I received a reply from Knit Picks. It seems they don't feel it's a problem. Here's the reply:

Dear Mason,

The way we have designed our interchangeable needles is for the needle tip and cable to screw together. There is nothing to "lock" them together, but we have provided a tightening key to help get the join tight. This does not mean they will not slowly work themselves loose while you are knitting. The natural motion of your hands and the movement of the needles will cause them to come loose. Knitting back and forth will loosen the tips more quickly than when knitting in the round.

Here are some suggestions to help keep your needle tips from completely coming off while knitting:
1) Use the tightening key to make your join tight every time you knit. Some people have used various rubber items to help grip the metal needle tip (large rubber band, finger cots, etc.).

2) Your needle are constantly in front of you while you are knitting. Quickly check the join every couple of rounds/rows to see if they are still tight.

3) When the needles come loose, there is a gap and your join will not be smooth. When your stitches are not sliding smoothly over the join, check it.

Sincerely,

Jasmine
Knit Picks Customer Service
1-800-574-1323

So basically she's saying that if their loosening, there's nothing they can do about it and they consider that to be normal.

I'm thinking hard now about ordering a set of Denise's as they actually lock. Does anyone know of any others that lock in place? I'd much rather have nice smooth metal than resin, but this constantly having to re-tighten them is very annoying.

Knitting_Guy
04-16-2007, 07:13 PM
Here's the reply I sent back:

Thank you for your reply. One of the reasons that I ordered the Options was that in the reviews I had read everyone had said that they don't thread loose during use. Those who have had their's a while don't seem to have this problem, while many of us who have ordered ours during this year do have this problem.

Again, I appreciate your response. Perhaps I just need to order a set of Denise's as they lock together to prevent the annoyance of constantly having to re-tighten.

carmabelle1191
04-16-2007, 07:58 PM
Maybe they'll solve the problem once they realize that you're switching over to Denises (maybe). Then again, once I think about it, they already have your money, so they might not care. I haven't had the problem of untwisting so far, not that I've used the key. But I'm sorry for everyone who does have the problem of untwisting.

BostonBecca
04-16-2007, 08:10 PM
I got the same response word for word as Mason.

It was a form response. That means that they have gotten enough of the same complaint to create a form response letter. There is a problem whether or not they want to admit it and now they have made me a tad angry at how they are handling this.
If I wanted a form response I would have sent off a form complaint.

Time to argue..politely for now....

Knitting_Guy
04-16-2007, 08:15 PM
Hmmm, actually we should create some sort of form complaint letter and start flooding them with them from everyone who's unhappy.

Knitting_Guy
04-16-2007, 08:19 PM
Now I remember the other reason I didn't order the Denise set. No sizes smaller than 5. :pout:

BostonBecca
04-16-2007, 08:21 PM
This won't work as a form letter, but it will probably be my response.

"However, from what I understand this problem does not occur with every set of Options or even the majority of Options. Also, the cables do not slowly come loose. They can come loose during the course of knitting one short row. I chose the Options specifically because every review I read stated that they did not come loose in this way. Even when using the key I have to retighten them very frequently. I don't know if there are separate batches of Options that were manufactured differently or at different times, but they should not require tightening every row or even in the middle of a round or row. This does not happen with all sets of options, but it does with some, and there should be something done about it, as I consider this to be an unusual problem. "

I am waiting to send it out as I always write out emails of this nature and then edit them. It's the English major/law student in me.

BostonBecca
04-16-2007, 08:22 PM
However, I should say that some times I can go multiple rounds or rows and they don't come loose and then I retighten them in the same way and it comes loose within a round. I'm not sure what is going on. I have never been able to knit an entire evening with them without having to retighten.

Knitting_Guy
04-16-2007, 08:26 PM
Mine have to be tightened about every other round. I thought that maybe it was just the extra pressure on them due to knitting Magic Loop or something until I started seeing other people having a similar problem. Funny that everyone having the problem seems to have purchased their Option this year.

Paws4Knitting
04-16-2007, 08:32 PM
Wow!!!! I find this to be a real problem.

I agree that they have now formed an apology based on the fact they have heard from enough people about the problem.

What to do now is to way in your options (no pun intended) and see how they compare to the other sets. I suggest everyone who has circs to respond to that new poll they are doing, and really let the new knitters like us what you prefer more.

I just ordered mine about a week agao, and Iwill be interested to see if they do the same to me- at this point, I would simply send them back.

It seems annoying, that you have to maintain constant care to make sure your projects are not ruined by loosening of the needles.

Bummer!!! :frog:

Rorshach
04-16-2007, 08:38 PM
Well it's certainly possible that while they're sending out form letters to appease those who are complaining, it's also a tactic to find out how many complaints there really are and whether or not it should be fixed. Other companies do the same thing, such as computers. While it's not necessarily a bad thing, it certainly is annoying.

JoeE
04-16-2007, 09:25 PM
I hope I don't tick off the hardcore Denise fans, but if you've been using the Options, the Denises will likely not make you very happy. The Denise cables are not nearly as thin and slippery as the Options. The tips can come detached from a Denise also--with no particular warning in my limited experience. At least with the Options, you do start to notice the stitches not gliding across the join and you know it's time to tighten up the tips.

I like both the Options and Denise, but I gotta say I'm willing to put up with the tips coming loose once in a while to have the luxury of those fantastic cables.

On the other hand, I do have some serious misgivings about the quality control at KP. I'm thrilled that their customer service is top notch, but I'm still disappointed in their quality control. You shouldn't expect to have problems with a product, and clearly enough people do with KPOs to warrant the frequent warnings to new users to check every tip and cable.

My two cents,
Joe

KathyinCali
04-17-2007, 10:12 AM
I received the same "form" response as Mason. I'll be interested to see where this goes.

jmp3775
04-17-2007, 10:29 AM
If you are having problems, is it just with one or a couple of needle tip sizes? There could be an issue with the threads of those particular tips, or it could be the threads of that particular cable. Maybe do some experimenting. If you can isolate the problem, I know KP will replace the offending part.
Just hard to imagine that ALL of the tips and ALL of the cables of a particular set could be faulty.
I had a couple of tips that wuldnt screw tight to one of the cables, but is just fine on the others. Conversely, I had a tip that I couldnt get to screw completely on. It was fine with the other cables. And I did have one tip that wouldnt stay screwed- it was like the threads had been stripped. KP replaced that size, no problem.
And as someone else said, the Denise set doesnt really "lock" inthat its secure. One little twist and your needle is OFF the cable. You do get some warning with the Options.
Oh, I'm sure others will back me up here, but the Boye's Interchangeables do the exact same thing.
Hope you all get your issues resolved!

suzeeq
04-17-2007, 10:58 AM
I have 2 cables and 3 sets of tips from Boye and yes they do come loose. Two of the tip sets behave pretty well once I get them tightened down, but one of them loosens more than the others. I got that one from ebay and it's in a different packaging so it may be older and the threading slightly off. I think it's something that's going to happen because of the nature of threading the tips on the cord.

However, if the people who got the first batch aren't having the same problem, while later ones are, there could be a QC issue with whatever machine shop manufactured them. I worked in one once, and know that it can be tricky to set the machine just right for threading, especially for threads that fine.

sue

boyforpele13
04-17-2007, 11:00 AM
Also not to offend any hardcore Denise fans, I sold my Denise set on Ebay in favor of the Options and I don't regret it. I am a hardcore KP fan, so this might be biased, but I think the quality control thing is a little unfair. Lantern Moon sells $25 circulrs, their first runs had issues and were replaced as people complained. Crystal Palace sells $15 circular needles, first runs had issues and were replaced as people complained. I have had both Susanne's Needles & several Brittanys replaced, and busted a Plymouth Bamboo circular in half by blinking at it. And who can forget the exploding Addi? ;-) You have to remember this is still a fairly new venture for them and only so much testing can be done before marketing them. I personally feel their willingness to replace things, excellent customer service, and the savings involved make up for any shortcomings. Materials-wise, these are essentially a generic Addi interchangeable set with even better cables for half of what you'd pay for each set of Addis, even less if you've already got the cables, and you can't find that anywhere else.

I currently have 6 sets of tips and 3 sets of cables, all bought in separate orders. With the knowledge that I 'manhandle' my needles, I still have not had this problem. As I mentioned earlier the size 13s, which were in the first order I placed for Options, lasted through 2 entire sets of FT Clogs over the holidays without a single tightening. That has been my experience in general with them. I have noticed they are correct in more tightening being necessary when working straight and not in the round, but for me, it hasn't been enough of an issue since you do have time to stop and tighten them with the screw being so long instead of just losing it like happened with my Denise set during a 153-stitch cable row. I will say I am zealous in my tightening when I place the tips on, maybe that has something to do with it too.

The bottom line is, though, a knitter should be happy with their tools regardless of price. My thought there is if you are unhappy enough about them, send them back. While their return policy is typically 30 days, given the circumstances, I would bet money they would be thrilled to refund money. I hate that anyone is having a problem with them because I really do love my KP!

BostonBecca
04-17-2007, 11:07 AM
The thing is, I want an interchangeable set of Options needles. I jsut want ones that don't have this problem and I don't think it is too much to ask when other people who purchased their sets before this year don't have this problem and those of us who purchased their sets this year do have this problem. I really think KnitPicks should replace the sets that do have this problem with ones that do not. I would send all of it back to them at my expense and pay for shipping of a set that does not have this problem. Also, it has happened with every needle tip and cable combo I have used.

BostonBecca
04-17-2007, 11:08 AM
It also happens knitting in the round or knitting flat. Like I said before, I use the key to tighten them and it still happens.

boyforpele13
04-17-2007, 11:15 AM
They have never even asked me to return things when I have needed replacement (the classic circulars and one cable trouble that they admitted to in the beginning.) I would bet if you expressed that to them, BostonBecca, in a similar fashion you did here, they would accommodate you, you have a very valid point. I know you've been in contact with them, but to actually lay it out like that, I mean.

While I do love KP and my Options set, it was not my intention to minimize anyone's problems with them just because I don't have an issue. I know from experience what it is like to be unhappy with my tools, and it really makes me cranky, so I can totally empathize.

I really do hope this is resolved to everyone's satisfaction.

BostonBecca
04-17-2007, 11:32 AM
I'm sorry if my response was grumpy. I'm just getting frustrated with the retightening and am sorry if it came across as frustrated with anyone here. I really have to re-check all of my needles and cords and then send off my response.

I wonder what they would say if I said all of the needles and cords were defective?

boyforpele13
04-17-2007, 11:36 AM
I just came back on to say I didn't mean to insinuate anyone was being cranky in my last apology. ;) I really do feel that the problems you guys are having are valid ones, I just wish it wasn't happening!!! I really do hope they fix it for everyone soon.

I'm just speculating, but I would expect them to try to make you happy, from previous experience with them. I think you made a very good point about people who purchased them earlier not having problems and it seems there's a number of people having issues now... I don't think they would try to refute that, although I could be wearing KP-colored glasses. ;-)

boyforpele13
04-17-2007, 11:42 AM
p.s. has anyone called and talked to them on the phone about it? It's easy to reply with a form letter if they are not hearing or reading everything you are saying and/or requesting, which can be easy to do with electronic correspondence. I have had absolutely lovely experiences with them calling on the phone with every representative I have talked to. I really do think it makes a difference when they can hear your tone, you can hear their's, etc. I remember once I wound up on the phone with the lady for like 20 minutes chatting about yarn and needles after she did the replacement order. :teehee:

BostonBecca
04-17-2007, 11:45 AM
Thank you for the advice. I think I will call them after I test all my needles and cords again. I do like KnitPicks and will continue to order from them, I just want to get this resolved and not have this problem any more. I really like the options needles and how flexible their cords are except for the coming apart thing.

PaperGirl
04-17-2007, 03:58 PM
his whole issue has made me hesitant to order them yet. Thats alot of $$ for me, and Id rather not take the chance of having a problem. :shrug:

I already told DH I wanted some for my bday...but now Im not so sure...

Paws4Knitting
04-17-2007, 04:37 PM
Maybe here is some hope.... :shrug:

I ordered mine, and they have already shipped as of last week, people still really love them, but theyare having this issue, and I feel the same way you do, Papergirl.

I will post as soon as I get mine as to if I plan to keep them. From what I heard they all have their set backs. I guess it is deciding what you can deal with more and how they stand by them.

cristina61
04-17-2007, 07:15 PM
As I posted earlier, I just got my Options a couple of weeks ago.

Today I sat down and checked every one of the tips with the cables, and I found no problems with any of them, with the exception of one tip which seems to have loose threads. I was able to tighten it all the way, but I'm thinking the looser threads might make it more prone to coming unscrewed as I work with it.

I haven't used the whole set enough yet to notice any major problems; as I said before, I've only had a tip fall off once (not the one with the loose threads), and that could have been my own fault for not tightening it enough in the first place.

I know other people here have more experience with this issue, and even though this has been said before, I strongly recommend checking all the pieces.

I still think KP has a very fine product in the Options, and I hope all this doesn't discourage everybody from buying them. It just means you have to pay attention to what you're paying for and to speak up when you have a problem.

And I'm really grateful to have this forum so we're not all sitting around thinking we're the only ones with questions! :cheering:

Paws4Knitting
04-20-2007, 03:04 PM
Hi Everyone....

Okay, I recieved my Options Wed., and took the time to play with them last night- since I promised I would report back- Here I am... :waving:

Everything went fine with the bigger needle sizes, as soon as I moved into the smaller sizes- I had the same exact problem as all of you- they were untwisting and it is annoying. You can feel them loosen and while the cord doesn't fall off- the constant movement will continue to loosen them- I had something rubber and used the key to tighten it- and there was no difference. I maybe completed two rows before I was tightening the needles and the cord once again. :verysad:

My husband asked to see my needles after watching me and then, made his conclusion, which is- he believed it to be a faulty design, his take was anything that is meant to unscrew will- it is a plus and yet I think it is it's flaw. I do believe after reading the other general knitting interchangeable poll that the individual sets by KP might be the best way to go and while you have to buy more- the cord is attached and you don't have to worry about the constant loosening of the cord. :gah:

I am sending them back strictly because I wouldn't be able to get over that- hopefully in time they can find a way to perfect that.

Another annoying thing- was what most of you had said which was the lack of organization for the needles. They have no numbers on them and without that- if they ever get misplaced or something happens to where they fall out- the putting them back in order would not be very fun!

I still think it is a fine product- but I am not in love with the kit, which I am very sad about. :waah:

I am sorry KP fans for posting a bad review. :(

Papergirl, and others, I hope this helps. :heart:

I am also very glad we have this forum to discuss things like this- for me- it makes all the difference to have you here to listen and help out.

Cheers,
K

brendajos
04-20-2007, 03:08 PM
Just so you know the "classic" sets only go up to a size three i believe.... yeah i just looked to be sure i hadn't missed any additions to the line. so if you are looking for the same type of needle without the interchangeable aspect you will probable need to go with Addis for all but the smaller needles.

Limey
04-20-2007, 05:56 PM
Hi

I'm no expert but it sounds very much to me as though the thread on the newer needles isn't 'biting' properly - so it will quickly loosen and then spin.

You can sometimes get this problem with 'barrel' clasps on necklaces - the two ends just don't grip properly and eventually will part company.

Anyway, a suggestion - it might be useful for a watch repairer/jewellery repairer to check the joins of BOTH the new and old needles.

I'm sure that it could be organised between you that someone who knows a good watch-repairer take delivery of both old and new needles and hops to the shop to find out just what's going on here.

It would do no harm at any rate to have these needles checked out - the sooner - the better.

All the Best
[color=green]Limey[/color

dink
04-20-2007, 06:09 PM
I don't own the set, but I did just order one individual to give it a try earlier this week. As I'm reading all the posts about the needles and cords, I'm hoping that some how, this will be relayed back to KP's. Meaning, that they'll see the thoughts and opinions of those that use the needles. An maybe KP's will come out with a remodified version, possibly with the sizes on the needles, and better cords which don't untwist. One can hope right? :shrug: At least for the rest of us who don't own the set, but would like to eventually. (like me!)

momwolf
04-20-2007, 06:56 PM
I got my needle yesterday and it works GREAT(thank god)I'm gonna order some more but I am gonna order singles and not take a chance on the set.I really don't need them all anyway.How come they don't have more needle sizes with 16 inch cords :?? :!!!:

Paws4Knitting
04-20-2007, 07:02 PM
Momwolf,

I think I will do that to. Cute dogs beneath your name!!!!

3kids1036
04-23-2007, 02:11 PM
I called them and they said if you are having trouble CALL and report, do not send an email. But she did email me this, and so far, well since I used the key teh correct way, I have NOT had anymore trouble....

Dear Adrienne,
The way we have designed our interchangeable needles is for the needle tip and cable to screw together. There is nothing to "lock" them together, but we have provided a tightening key to help get the join tight. This does not mean they will not slowly work themselves loose while you are knitting. The natural motion of your hands and the movement of the needles will cause them to come loose. Knitting back and forth will loosen the tips more quickly than when knitting in the round.

Here are some suggestions to help keep your needle tips from completely coming off while knitting:
1) Use the tightening key to make your join tight every time you knit. Some people have used various rubber items to help grip the metal needle tip (large rubber band, finger cots, etc.).

2) Your needle are constantly in front of you while you are knitting. Quickly check the join every couple of rounds/rows to see if they are still tight.

3) When the needles come loose, there is a gap and your join will not be smooth. When your stitches are not sliding smoothly over the join, check it.

If this doesn't help please let us know.
Georgianna
Customer Service

Paws4Knitting
04-23-2007, 05:14 PM
I think that was the same message everyone else recieved online. :shrug:

3kids1036
04-23-2007, 05:15 PM
oh...oops! :doh:

BostonBecca
04-23-2007, 05:15 PM
It was.

3kids1036
04-23-2007, 05:17 PM
sorry.

Paws4Knitting
04-23-2007, 06:50 PM
no need to be sorry- :teehee: , I just thought I had read that before, Iwas hoping they sent you something different. On previous post, we were wondering why they sent out a form letter- thinking why would they even have one- they must be having enough calls and emails to have a letter already formed for complaints. :shrug: :??

3kids1036
04-25-2007, 10:49 AM
Ok, I called them back and they are sending me replacement cords to see if they work. If not they said they will replace my entire kit. So keep calling.

Jessica Cobb
04-25-2007, 01:09 PM
I just got my options last week, for my birthday which is today. (I couldn't wait!) :teehee: I haven't had a problem with them at all, and I've knit with them constantly. I checked them over right when I got them to make sure everything was working fine. Every other round or so I just check anyway to make sure nothing is coming loose, and it never has. So maybe all you poor guys who are having troubles just got a bad batch? It's annoying to have to call KP, but I think that would probably be more effective.