PDA

View Full Version : OT : not flying with Delta again !!

vaknitter
04-15-2007, 04:35 PM
I was flying home from Atlanta to VA on a direct flight last night. We were scheduled to leave at 8:26...we finally left the airport at 11:30pm. Could have been a weather delay or a plane issue, but NO Delta couldn't find us a flight crew !!! :wall: Then to add insult to injury they must have left our luggage sitting outside for that 3 hours b/c my bag is soaked and the dye from the suitcase bled into my clothes, ruining among other things a sweater that my grandmother knit for me :grrr: I have been scrubbing at my shirts and pants all morning. I think I have recovered everything except a couple of shirts and the sweater. To claim the damage I have to go back to the airport and deal with Delta.

Seriously how do these people stay in business !!!

Thank you for letting me rant -

NakedPancakes
04-15-2007, 04:54 PM
Wow. I am sorry. That really sucks.

Dilly
04-15-2007, 06:39 PM
I got stuck in Boston for two days right before Christmas. There were no weather delays or mechanical issues. To this day, I'm not sure why I was held up for 2 days. :shrug:

I wrote Delta to complain, and they gave me a voucher for $150. I booked a ticket using that voucher yesterday, and I actually had to drive to the airport to book it because you can't use them online or even call in your booking. Once I got to the airport, the ticketing agent had no idea what he was doing and he had to call in my reservation. :wall: It took half an hour to get my ticket booked! :grrr:

Once that flight is over, I'll never be flying with Delta again. The only unfortunate thing is that I live in a small Canadian city, and we only have Delta and Air Canada that fly out of my city. :pout:

stitchwitch
04-15-2007, 06:44 PM
Better than my story....I was flying through DFW to Salt Lake City to Kalispell Montana via Delta. Got held up at DFW for 3 hrs while they repaired a "landing gear sensor" because it kept saying the landing gear was faulty. Upon takeoff (I was sitting over the landing gear) a horrendous boom was heard. I flew from DFW to SLC thinking this is not good. We flew around SLC burning off fuel and finally started to land, we were met with fire trucks all out on the runway. Thankfully, we landed safely albeit a little rough. Seems the sensor wasn't broken, the tires were ready to blow and did upon takeoff. I could have handled soggy luggage, a layover, etc. The adrenalin jolt I got I could have done without.

bailsmom
04-15-2007, 10:15 PM
Oh my. I am so glad I don't fly much. :passedout:

Susan P.
04-15-2007, 10:47 PM
Well, from Australia two stories this week. I can't think of the airline carriers name off hand (NOT Qantas) but they left passengers stranded in Hawaii for 3 days because the plane that should have been sent to pick them up had a fault and there was no other plane available.

Mind you, I want to KNOW a plane is safe so I'd prefer to wait BUT not so easy for people with tight schedules.

And then P&O cruises overbooked 65! passengers. So, 65 turned up and were booted off. They have been given their money back, a week's free cruise to use within the next 12 months and $500 to spend on that cruise but as some people said, in individual circumstances that didn't help when they had made significant arrangements to take holidays with others etc. And also the offer depended on people having a week available in the next year. If a couple are both working it's not always easy to synchronise your times.

Susan P.
04-15-2007, 10:50 PM
It was Jetstar. Just remembered. I've seen that 'Airport' show from the UK and there Easyjet sounds a bit of a nightmare.

redwitch
04-16-2007, 02:06 AM
Oh my God. 'Hmmm, the warning light says there's a problem with the landing gear. Obviously the sensor's broken. Somebody fix it?'
That's genuinely terrifying.
What is with this overbooking thing? Remember the Seinfeld episode where Jerry reserves a rental car and they give it away? Apparently airlines do that. WTF? That's like taking money for something you sold on eBay/Trademe and then saying 'oh, the item? No, I gave/sold it to someone else this morning. SOL.'
Sarah

Susan P.
04-16-2007, 04:31 AM
Yes, the overbooking thing gets to me too and double booking at doctor's! My local surgery does it as a way of life. If I have an appointment at 2 I don't get in til 3.30 and it's always the same because they double book two of the four appointments in an hour so if people go overtime you wind up waiting for ever. I'm so tired of that happening I now ring and ask whether the doctor is running to time or not. My time is as good as theirs. I don't mind waiting 20min if someone has needed longer time but not an extra 90min as a matter of course! And now, craziness, if they're having a busy week you are not allowed to make an appointment the day before. They tell you to ring at 8.30 the next morning and try to get in then.

DQ
04-16-2007, 06:30 AM
It was Jetstar. Just remembered. I've seen that 'Airport' show from the UK and there Easyjet sounds a bit of a nightmare.

It does doesn't it! I've not flown with them though so I couldn't tell you from experience!

HeatherFeather
04-16-2007, 07:28 AM
Yup...Mom got a free friend fare with her Amex points to use on Delta...BUT she had to go to the ticket agent at the airport. She lives in a tiny town and the big airport is 3 hours away. She could NOT go to the airport to get the ticket, so my aunt wasn't able to come :( It basically was wasted.

Chrissie
04-16-2007, 09:12 AM
A few weeks ago, my family all went to visit my brother and sister in law for the baptism of their new baby....well, everyone but one of my other brothers and his wife. They were flying Southwest, and their flight was overbooked by 15 people. They had their boarding passes and everything, and when they got on the plane, there was only one seat left...so they didn't go. They got $600 to cover their hotel and rental car expenses, plus vouchers for a free flight. But that doesn't come close to making up for the time lost with family

Kaydee
04-16-2007, 09:29 AM
Itís crazy that flying is something that people spend big money on, but get the worst product for the money. Once I was flying home from a vacation and we had to run to get our layover. When we got to the gate they told us that the last 3 people in line werenít going to get on the place because they overbooked. Thankfully my friends and I just made it, but they werenít even offering anything to those who didn't, just a later flight. Also, I've heard that as long as a plane has backed away from the gate they are considered on time...this means that even if you sit on the runway for 2 hours you're still on time. That's ridiculous!! :!!!:

NinaT
04-16-2007, 09:36 AM
A lot of the time they tell passengers that there is a plane malfunction because they know they'll be more forgiving if they think it will be safer to wait. Most of the time the airline just wants to wait until a flight is full before they take off. If they delay a plane for a couple of hours they can fill a half full plane and then they only have to fly one instead of two planes.

cheesiesmom
04-16-2007, 10:50 AM
Geez, I don't know why I read this thread. My DH and I will be flying for the first time ever next month to visit our DD in Yuma AZ. On NWA out of Detroit. I'm nervous enough and now I have to worry about crummy service.

I really wish she was closer; we'd just drive. :pray: