PDA

View Full Version : Boye Needle Master Kit

GinnyG
04-16-2007, 08:19 AM
Jo-Anns has a 50% off coupon this week. Does anyone have the Boye interchangable needles? Do you like them?

http://www.joann.com/catalog.jhtml?CATID=24953&PRODID=80804&source=search

carmabelle1191
04-16-2007, 08:54 AM
All You Ever Wanted to Know about INTERCHANGABLE SETS (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2062). This compares Boye and Denise because at the time the Options weren't available yet, though there is some commentary on the Options toward some of the later pages.

GinnyG
04-16-2007, 08:55 AM
Ooops, I should have noticed that post!!! Thanks!

Jeremy
04-16-2007, 10:38 AM
They've kind of been passed by by Denise and Options. However, I still think that their pretty good if they are the right price. I'm using them right now for a pi shawl. However, the Options are reasonably priced and are nicer. The big advantage they have, still, is the lower needle size. Bottom line, all three kinds are good needles.

GinnyG
04-16-2007, 10:42 AM
Thanks Jeremy.

I just looked at the options and they are considerably more expensive and if I am reading it correctly they don't come with as many cables. I also want to use them for magic loop and if I am reading correctly the Options have a thicker cable which is more difficult for ML.

Ginger0104
04-16-2007, 10:42 AM
If I had paid full price for my Boye's, I would have hated them. Instead, I got them for 50% off and am very happy. I may decide to upgrade to the Options somewhere down the road, but for now, these work just fine.

brendajos
04-16-2007, 10:48 AM
Thanks Jeremy.

I just looked at the options and they are considerably more expensive and if I am reading it correctly they don't come with as many cables. I also want to use them for magic loop and if I am reading correctly the Options have a thicker cable which is more difficult for ML.

no no no no no! I have never done magic loop but i can tell you that i would have NEVER wanted to try magic loop with the Boye needles. I wouldn't have even wanted to do 2 circs with them. They are perfectly fine needles but the cable is thicker and VERY stiff. The Denise needles are the thickest cable I think but are much more pliable than the Boye.

I have had all three sets and would never go back to either of them over my options.

stitchwitch
04-16-2007, 10:50 AM
I'm good with my Boye's, I too used a 40% off coupon from Joann's so the price was right. I like the fact that I can buy pieces for them from Hobby Lobby like extra cables, etc. So far I have no gripes but then again I'm easy to please.

GinnyG
04-16-2007, 11:01 AM
I'm good with my Boye's, I too used a 40% off coupon from Joann's so the price was right. I like the fact that I can buy pieces for them from Hobby Lobby like extra cables, etc. So far I have no gripes but then again I'm easy to please.

Is the Boye cable flexible enough to do ML with???

vaknitter
04-16-2007, 11:09 AM
Knitters on this board seem to be against Boye, but my husband used the Michaels 40% coupon and got me the interchangeable set for Christmas before we were married and they work great for me. It takes a few rows for them to warm up a little, but I actually like them much better than the bamboo ones someone gave me. Plus, its all in one nice package that I can keep in my knitting bag so that if I start a project while away from home I have any size needle I want with me.

I say go for it. You can always upgrade later.

VickyS456
04-16-2007, 11:16 AM
I have no problem doing magic loop with my Boye set. The first time I took out the cables, I dipped them for 20 seconds in hot water and BAM, the cables are loosey-goosey now :) I LOVE my Boyes :heart:

knitqueen
04-16-2007, 11:18 AM
The Boye set is the only interchangeable set I have or have ever used, and I like it a lot. Be clear though that you cannot use this set for magic loop. The cables are very stiff and it just doesn't work. When I want to do magic loop, I use my Addi Turbos and I have heard that the Options cables are just as flexible as the Addi's and are very suitable for magic loop.

knitqueen
04-16-2007, 11:19 AM
I have no problem doing magic loop with my Boye set. The first time I took out the cables, I dipped them for 20 seconds in hot water and BAM, the cables are loosey-goosey now :) I LOVE my Boyes :heart:

Wow, are you serious??? You must have to join a few cables together to do magic loop though, right?

VickyS456
04-16-2007, 11:24 AM
LOL! I'm totally serious. I just used the longest cable (36" I think). Amy shows the 24" cable on her video, but I wanted more slack so I used the 36".

Jeremy
04-16-2007, 11:28 AM

Is the Boye cable flexible enough to do ML with???

Here is a nice thread about that Boyes cable:

http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewtopic.php?t=25498&highlight=boyes

DoulaLyndsey
04-16-2007, 11:36 AM
I HATED the Boye's! I got them in eBay for cheap and ended up selling them. The cables were way to stiff to work with and I couldn't do magic loop with them. I have both the Denise and the Options and by far the Options are my favorite.

Mrs. D.
04-16-2007, 07:32 PM
I have been working fine with my set. I have not tried the Options or the Denises to have anything to compare it to but I like my Boye's. I believe once I start to do more projects I may have issues with cable lengths but for now they are working for me.