PDA

View Full Version : KH Addicts - monitor issues

Dilly
04-16-2007, 07:06 PM
You know you are addicted to KH when your monitor permanently has two strips on pink running vertical on either side of the screen! :shock:

I started having monitor issues recently, and while running through a bunch of tests with Dell to pinpoint the issue, I noticed that on each side of my screen, things were constantly looking suspiciously pink. This is because my laptop is almost always open to the KH page. :oops:

My monitor issues were related to the LCD, and the monitor has since completely died (it actually died during the call and saved me about another 30 minutes of time that would have been spent trying to fix the problem). I'm plugged into another monitor right now. I have to send my computer, which is still under warranty, to Dell later this week.

Anyway, my monitor didn't die because of KH, but the pink strips on each side are directly related to the amount of time spent here, or even the amount of time I leave my computer open to this page.

If you spend a lot of time on KH, you might want to minimize and center the KH screen so that the pink bars on each side don't show. You also might want to make sure that your screensaver comes on after a short period of time. Mine used to be set for 20 minutes, but I've since lowered it to 5 minutes. This will help prolong the life and quality of your computer. I'm hoping that once the upgrades are complete that we will have other board styles for viewing this website that don't involve pink strips on the side.

Also, it will make sure that the colours on your monitor stay true to life so that when you order yarn online, you know that the colour on your screen matches the real-life colour. :teehee:

Thanks!

Arielluria
04-16-2007, 07:10 PM
Sorry, but LOL. I thought that didn't happen on newer monitors any more. One way to keep it from happening again is to resize your browser window left to right and all you see is the white part. ;) Oh well, perhaps it's a good excuse to get a flat screen or something bigger eh? ;)

Dilly
04-16-2007, 07:18 PM
I have a laptop that is still under warranty, so it will be replaced at no extra cost to me. I didn't think it happened with the newer monitors either, but I was mistaken. :shrug:

I'm laughing too, so it's ok to laugh. I'm such a KH addict and now I have the monitor to prove it! :shifty: :oops:

Eloewien
04-16-2007, 07:37 PM
It can happen... I work for a major tv provider... and some people surf the program guide WAY too much and get that effect-- it's called burn-in and it can happen on any monitor or tv if it's tuned to the same thing too much.

Knitting_Guy
04-16-2007, 08:50 PM
Actually burn in only happens to CRTs. It can't happen on an LCD as there is nothing to "burn". What does happen looks the same though. It's called "image persistence" and unlike the true burn in on a CRT, it can be easily removed.

I've had to do this for a few people's laptops so I know it works.

Use any graphics app to create an all white image. Display that image full screen for a few hours (over night usually does it). You can use your screen saver for that if you like, just set it so it's a constant display. After a few hours the all white will replace the persistent image and your LCD screen will be back to normal again.

Using a screen saver program will prevent burn in or a persistent image from happening in the first place.

Andrea
04-16-2007, 09:18 PM
:rofl: Dilly!!

:hug: :hug: :hug: