PDA

View Full Version : BIG SOCKS

*KnitPixie*
04-16-2007, 11:06 PM
I want to knit my fiance socks but I have one problem ..he wears a size 15 shoe :teehee: Soo does anyone know how much yarn this would take or any patterns :??

dakatzmeow
04-17-2007, 01:05 AM
i would suggest finding silver's tutorial and seeing if they will fit him around the heel and ankle. perhaps try knitting it down through the gusset and see if he can slide it on his foot. if it fits him as far as getting it on his foot, then you would just knit it to length. i honestly haven't done a lot of socks, but this is how i would go about it.

Jan in CA
04-17-2007, 01:09 AM
Size 15 shoe?! :noway: He must be tall!

Here's Silver's tutorial.
http://www.cometosilver.com/socks/SockClass_Intro.htm

Orangeus
04-17-2007, 01:32 AM
I'm in a family of large feeted folks, so that's normal to me, hahah! I haven't got much advice or help, except to plug Toe-Up socks!

They are quite nice if you're unsure about lengths needed, and yarn needed (like me!), since you only have to get the toe right, and then you can just knit away, until it is long enough for the heel; make sure that fits, and then knit until you've run out of yarn, or they are the length he wants!

Oh, and I suppose you could measure how many more inches his foot is, compared to what average sock patterns are for, figure out your guage, and then use that to tell you what extra yardage will be needed...

RiverDaughter
04-17-2007, 01:52 AM
I'm not sure how much exactly, but I suggest buying a skein extra. I'm have sz 11 feet myself, but haven't noticed a huge variation. The socks are going to be roughly a foot and a half in length, so, if you go cuff down, add an extra inch into the heel turn, and you should be fine.

DreamWeaver
04-17-2007, 02:49 AM
WOW O.O He has big feet![/b]

Denise in Michigan
04-17-2007, 11:25 AM
http://www.thedietdiary.com/blog/lucia/556

There are some great sock calculators on the above-listed site! She provides info on how much yarn, numbers to cast on and increase/decrease, basic patterns for toe up/toe down, and lots more! :cheering:

rebecca
04-17-2007, 12:19 PM
I highly recommend getting at least 150 gr of sock yarn. Lonnie wears size 11 shoe and to knit a sock with a nice leg I have to get another ball of yarn. He's found that the socks with the longer legs are much more comfortable to wear. I don't mean knee highs, more like the length of a regular man's sock that you buy in the store :wink:

KnittinMitchie
04-17-2007, 02:43 PM
If your looking for patterns and how many to cast on Sesational Socks and MORE Sensational Socks are excilent books. I have used Sensational Socksto knit for hubby and my sock swap pal.

*KnitPixie*
04-17-2007, 11:52 PM
Thanks everyone for all the advice :muah: Oh yea by the way my fiance, Kyle is about 6'3" or 6'4", so... yea he's just a bit tall :teehee: So I was thinking that whatever yarn I get I will just buy an extra skein. He seems to think I should buy two extra skeins beings that his feet are so darn big lol Any yarn suggestions anyone?
- he walks all day
-has really sweaty feet
-he likes ankle socks ( yay thats good on yarn and will knit up quicker)
-Likes manly colors :roll:
hmm I was thinking of doing a fair isle pair of socks with his company logo on them :thinking:

Ps. Knittin mitchie I am dying to get the Sensational Knitted Socks Book
( My birthday is April 30th so I wait in hope :present: )

Susan P.
04-18-2007, 07:02 AM
If he has probs with sweaty feet I would go for as close to 100% cotton as possible. I'd also ensure the top wasn't too tight. My son has a size 14 sock and he often has problems with the top of the sock being too tight around lower calf. He's resorted to socks that are made for diabetics and travellers that are made with less elastic tops. A fine knit cotton would 'take' a logo really well also. Sounds like toe up socks would be a great idea.

HamburgKnitter
04-18-2007, 07:43 AM
You could also try some bamboo yarn...the Regia bamboo yarn I bought was nice, and on the label it says that the material "breathes".

HeatherFeather
04-18-2007, 08:04 AM
http://www.thedietdiary.com/blog/lucia/556

There are some great sock calculators on the above-listed site! She provides info on how much yarn, numbers to cast on and increase/decrease, basic patterns for toe up/toe down, and lots more! Cheering

I second this....it is SOOOOO cool...you put in the shoe size, your guage, and poof, you have a pattern!!!

I LOVE her toe up sock start....it's so magic...lol...