PDA

View Full Version : FO/WIP: socks, dishclothes, pre-smocked dress

Mariblue
04-17-2007, 01:26 PM
Well, I've been meaning to post these since last week, but life gets in the way...
The WIPs are the socks, I started on the elfine's socks (http://autoscopia.com/amelia/assets/elfinesocks.pdf) , and then needed a little break from them. So then I got some of the knitpicks bare sock yarn, and dyed my own selfstriping yarn, that was really fun! I've finished one of the self-striping socks. Ok, ok, there's no need to worry about "Second Sock Syndrome" here, I'll definately finish these socks! The striped ones are for my mom, and I used the Universal Toe Up Sock Formula (http://www.knitty.com/issuesummer06/PATTuniversalsock.html) from Knitty. The elfine ones are for me.
The dishclothes were fun and fast to knit. The patterns I used were Hummingbird in Flight (http://wicketstich.blogspot.com/2007/02/hummingbird-in-flight-dishcloth.html) and Papillon (butterfly) cloth (http://smariek.blogspot.com/2007/02/papillon-cloth.html) .
Ok, lastly, a bit of sewing. I've seen the pre-smocked dresses that have been posted here, and think they are just so cute, so I found some material at Walmart and made 2 dresses for my daughter. They were so easy! I wanted the dresses to be able to grow with her, so I used ribbon for the straps, that can be tied at the shoulders. I think they turned out really nice, and am pretty proud of myself, because I am a relative newbie to sewing. I've always made my kid's halloween costumes and dress-up clothes and such, but now I'm branching out to clothes they'll actually wear in public, and I think these little dresses are a good start!
Oh, and the socks are a first for me. I really like knitting them!
ETA: Hmm...I can't seem to get the little ladybug dress picture to come up. I've tried several times. You'll just have to trust that it's pretty cute!

marykz
04-17-2007, 04:29 PM
wow you have been so busy!! the elfine socks are what I covet... and I LOVE the dress you made. great idea for tying the ribbons as she grows! and such cute fabric... they all look great!

Abbily
04-17-2007, 04:33 PM
Wow, everything looks great! :D I love the ribbon ties on the dress, so cute!! What a great idea!

sara_jayne
04-17-2007, 04:36 PM
Everything looks wonderful! That striping yarn you dyed is fabulous! :notworthy:

auburnchick
04-17-2007, 06:58 PM
:passedout:

Everything is gorgeous!

Mariblue
04-18-2007, 10:20 AM
Thank you, everyone! It was all really fun to do, especially dyeing the yarn.

mdog182
04-18-2007, 12:13 PM
wow everything looks great!! the hummingbird pattern is my favorite though...that looks sooo cool!

jeanius80
04-18-2007, 12:25 PM
everything is great! i love the dress, i am going to make matching ones for my dd andher two cousins..... so cute

knitting frenzy
04-18-2007, 08:32 PM
wonderful work. I am impressed with the dyeing job. the striping effect is just perfect.

:happydance:

Jillle
04-18-2007, 08:48 PM
wow everything looks great!! the hummingbird pattern is my favorite though...that looks sooo cool!

Ditto that!

dewdrops
04-25-2007, 10:03 AM
Awesome work! :notworthy: :cheering:

lissalue
04-25-2007, 10:08 AM
love the yarn you dyed, and all the other knitty projects! i should get some of the pre- smocked fabric for my dd's. that is way cute!

Mariblue
04-25-2007, 05:11 PM
Thank you again, everyone, for the lovely comments!

Lisa Kay
04-26-2007, 03:04 PM
Wow, it's all wonderful! :inlove:

I will definitely be making the hummingbird dishcloth.

I'm a very beginning sewer myself. Is there a good pattern I should get for making one of those dresses? My daughter would love one!

Mariblue
04-26-2007, 04:07 PM
Wow, it's all wonderful! :inlove:

I will definitely be making the hummingbird dishcloth.

I'm a very beginning sewer myself. Is there a good pattern I should get for making one of those dresses? My daughter would love one!

The dress was easy, you don't even need a pattern. I just took my daughter's measurments (around her chest), and added two inches or so (just to make sure I had enough) for the seam allowance, to get the total amount of fabric I should buy.
I Measured again to be sure I got it right (my mom tells me to measure twice, cut once!). Then I just sewed it up the back. I didn't even hem it, because the selvedge edge of the fabric was so nice and clean. I was lucky enough to find some matching ribbon, and used those as the ties, which could sewed on by hand.
Honestly, it's sooooo easy! you should try it.