PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever experienced this....???

Kaydee
04-17-2007, 03:27 PM
I'm using KP Andean Silk (http://www.knitpicks.com/Andean+Silk_YD5420126.html) to knit my ISE4 scarf. Its started to come along (despite a few problems, details in my bolg) and I have about 24 inches now. Well, last night I put it around my neck to see what it was like, and it feels horrible!! I don't even know if I could say its scratchy, just a weird feeling...kind of like its prickly and I might even say it hurts a little. Now I didn't realize this until then because it feels fine in my hands, in fact its great...really nice and soft. I thought maybe its just because your hands aren't as sensitive, so I rubbed it against my face and it felt fine! It was the same as in my hands. Has this every happened to anyone? Or am I just crazy? :shrug:

XbelovedXoneX
04-17-2007, 03:37 PM
I've experienced this with DB Alpaca Silk... it was very disappointing! The FO felt great... except when it was around my neck! :doh:

Quiara
04-17-2007, 03:50 PM
I'm like that with regular alpaca. I love making scarves with Misti Alpaca chunky - I do a scrunchable scarf in no time - but they're always gifts. I love the feel of alpaca in my hands and even against my face, but on my neck, it's prickly to the point of feeling almost like tiny stings. That and I'm mildly allergic to wools in general so merino, alpaca, llama, camel - any fiber bearing critter so far makes me itchy. I still love alpaca and the various wools and fibers, though, and am not about to stop knitting with them due to a little thing like allergies! ^_^ (I'm just glad my allergy is not serious - if I broke out into welts like some people I know, I would cry. I just get sniffly, snotty and a little bit itchy.)

Ingrid
04-17-2007, 04:03 PM
I've found that with some yarns. I made a blanket out of Noro Silk Garden, and though it felt nice in my hands, I could never put it on my skin, and I'm not all that sensitive.

Kaydee
04-17-2007, 04:21 PM
Well I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one with this problem. I was beginngin to think I was crazy because it only felt bad around my neck. Now the question is what to do. This scarf is for my secret pal for ISE4. Do I give it to her and hope she doesn't have the same problem or do I start a new scarf (which would make me a little sad since I've worked for a few weeks on the one) :wall: :shrug:

SabrinaJL
04-17-2007, 04:32 PM
I have 5 balls of Andean Silk in my stash. I hope I don't have issues with it.

Kaydee
04-18-2007, 09:39 AM
Apparently I'm a glutton for punishment. Last night I decided to put the scarf around my neck again (did I think it was going to feel any different?? :shrug: ). I took it off then a few minutes later I started really itching the back my my neck. It got all red and bumpy and I'm still scratching this morning! I'm so sad because I really like the yarn but its just no good around the neck. My only hope now I think is to keep going, not try it on anymore, and hope my ISE pal doesn't have the same problem (she said she has no allergies to fibers). :wall:

psammeadred
04-18-2007, 12:20 PM
I've heard that washing your knits with a bit of glycerin helps them a. not pill, and b. get softer.

mwedzi
04-18-2007, 01:00 PM
In fact, it is not a small number of people who find alpaca itchy around the neck. Not exactly allergic to it, cuz they can touch it and work with it with no problem, but on sensitive skin areas the little pricklies get them. I'm one of these people, too. :verysad: But I'm currently willing myself not to be bothered by it. *it does not itch me, it does not itch me, it does not itch me*