PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else use Yarntainers?

figaro
04-18-2007, 07:25 AM
I bought myself one when I bought my swap pal's yarn and I just love it! There is no chance of the cat or dog getting the yarn, my hair does not get in it as I knit, and so far, there have been no tangles with it. There are 2 things I would change though, I would make them a little taller so that when I put the knitting away at the end of the night, the needles would fit into the container better and I would make some kind of small channel so that if I need to remove the the yarn and project without having to cut the yarn. But so far I love it and want to buy some more! (shhh, don't tell hubby that!)

Susan P.
04-18-2007, 07:34 AM
Hi Debbie, I was interested to see what you meant and here tis:

http://www.yarntainer.com/

Yes, it would be much better if you could do what you suggest (the other option being to unroll the whole ball to avoid cutting it!) But that could be achieved by something like a snap lid (or lid with snaps that you could snap together to keep the ball in place or unsnap so you could remove the ball through the top without cutting.

Maybe we're creating a product as we speak!

figaro
04-18-2007, 07:42 AM
:oops: oops, it completly slippled my still sleeping mind (I am not a morning person, mornings can make me do this :!!!: :wall: ) and forgot that I should put a link to the site here!

Nikki
04-18-2007, 08:10 AM
I hadn't seen those before. Interesting. I think, as you do, that they are a good idea that needs some tweaking. I'll stick with my zip lock bags for now.

Susan P.
04-18-2007, 08:20 AM
:-) i'm not a morning person either but it's not far off ten thirty pm for me. No worries.

Susan P.
04-18-2007, 08:21 AM
Nikki. I use zip lock bags to store yarn in that I'm using to make a garment with at any one time. I leave it next to my chair. I use a small plastic tub with lid to store whatever I am working on away at the end of each day.

Chel
04-18-2007, 10:04 AM
I make my own. :teehee:

I just use a large plastic butter container, and cut a slit in the lid and a circle in the middle. I use a lighter to melt any rough edges.

When I travel or have a carry along project I use ziplocks. :)

dustinac
04-18-2007, 10:14 AM
I've seen those and wondered about them...On Knitty Gritty they did a knit bit on how to make one.. they took a 2 litter bottle cut the back off and put the yarn in :teehee:

clb1968
04-18-2007, 11:12 AM
I buy birdfood in jars that have a nice lid, that I think would work for a yarn trainer/jar. I may have to try that.

I have also seen similar yarn trainers at Joann's and they are on sale this week I think.

jjminarcik
04-18-2007, 12:52 PM
I make them out of DH's empty coffee tins and cover the outside with fabric to make them pretty! :heart:

jeanius80
04-18-2007, 01:00 PM
I make them out of DH's empty coffee tins and cover the outside with fabric to make them pretty! :heart:
thats a good idea! my mom drinks lots coffee and it comes in light weight plastic containers (folgers) they would be great yarn'tainers'

1knittychick
04-18-2007, 07:03 PM
I've seen the yarntainers; but I use ziploc bags. I did see the KG show about 2L coke bottle and I'm using that idea in my Earth Day presentation for my school.