PDA

View Full Version : Christmas Presents: What Will You Knit? Have you thought?

Arielluria
04-18-2007, 08:22 PM
Have you started thinking about what to knit for Christmas yet? If so, what? If already made or started, show pics if you can. :hug:

jeanius80
04-18-2007, 08:27 PM
making a tam and scarf for grandma-in-law (shes like a mom to dh), scarf for mom, socks for dd/dh, not sure about the rest :shrug: socks? :teehee:

Jan in CA
04-18-2007, 08:38 PM
Well, I have to admit that I've thought about it, but whether I'll get around to it remains to be seen. My family is very picky so that doesn't help. :wall:

lostchyld
04-18-2007, 08:45 PM
I know for sure I'm making a cunning cap for my Dad, although I might get that done for his birthday in October so he can wear it during deer season.

I also found a super cute hooded cardi to make for my boyfriend's niece, so I think I'll do that.

Probably scarves or something for everyone else unless I find patterns that match the person. There's a cute kimono top on KnitPicks.com that I would consider doing three of for myself and my sisters. In different colours, of course, but still matching.

psammeadred
04-18-2007, 09:54 PM
Once all the baby knitting gets done, maybe I'll get around to Christmas knitting. (Just watch - one of my other friends or cousins will announce a bundle of joy as soon as this next one gets here! I tell you, they put something in the water...)

orcoastknitter
04-18-2007, 10:41 PM
I tried knitting for a few friends last year for Christmas. I ended up buying somethings for them instead. In a way I am glad I didn't knit anything special for them because I have yet to receive thank you for anything that I have sent them. I know I sound like a crabby pants. But a little thank you goes a long way in my book. So this year they are just getting cards and no gifts or gift certificates, like I used to do.

I will however knit for a few close friends of mine, that really appreciate homemade gifts.

dustinac
04-18-2007, 10:47 PM
I've knitted for the past 2 and I'm always up late on Christmas Eve finishing.. so this year I decided once a month I'd complete a gift and so far I've been doing at least one.. sometimes more..

The first year I made scarves.. last year it was socks for the men and slipper socks for the ladies.. this year it's a variety of what hits me :teehee:

auburnchick
04-18-2007, 11:10 PM
I'm probably just going to knit one gift this year...a booga bag for my sister.

ironmaiden
04-18-2007, 11:19 PM
I tried knitting for a few friends last year for Christmas. I ended up buying somethings for them instead. In a way I am glad I didn't knit anything special for them because I have yet to receive thank you for anything that I have sent them. I know I sound like a crabby pants. But a little thank you goes a long way in my book. So this year they are just getting cards and no gifts or gift certificates, like I used to do.

I will however knit for a few close friends of mine, that really appreciate homemade gifts.

I don't think it's crabby - I don't give gifts to people who don't appreciate them - and there are definitely a couple of those on my list.

brendajos
04-19-2007, 12:19 AM
I don't think I have knitted anything for christmas yet, that i can recall. :thinking: i make stuff and end up giving it away throughout the year instead of keeping it for christmas. most likely if i do make anything it will be a danica for mom. she has been hinting around for one since she saw mine.

of course she did call me the day after hinting after one to say not to bother, she doesn't need one, she already has two scarves, and since she is probably going to die soon there is no reason for me to waste my time with that... (okay that last part was an exaggeration but seriously you should have heard her! :teehee:) So yeah she will probably get a danica after i get over being tired of the pattern! :passedout:

newamy
04-19-2007, 12:36 AM
Last year was when I learned to knit so everyone (adult family) got a dish cloth in there stocking to commemorate that. And all but one nephew got a knitted item. Even though they were relatively small things it was quite a project to think it all out an make sure everyone is covered.

In my DH family we started a new thing last year of bringing a gift and playing the pick a gift game where you unwrap it and then someone can steal it. So I'm thinking of making his and hers coordinating scarves, maybe hats and mittens too if time and cost permits and make that the gift I donate to the game.

For my side of the family we draw names, I will probably get them something along the lines of what they request but knit an additional something as well and decide what to knit based on who I draw.
If time and whim permit I may knit small things for neices and nephews or may not. I've decided that I don't have to knit for everyone.

humblestumble
04-19-2007, 01:22 AM
I'm probably not going to knit much if at all this year. I am thinking of sewing a remote + mag holder for everyone. That's something that would make a lot of lives more convenient.

If I knit anything, it will be resole-able socks.

HamburgKnitter
04-19-2007, 02:37 AM
That's funny - I was just thinking about this when I logged into the forum. :teehee:

I started knitting in October of last year, so I stuck to two scarves: one for a friend, and a snake scarf for my 4-year-old nephew. This year I'd like to knit my hubby, my mom and the above-mentioned friend something. I just haven't decided what yet! :shrug: I look forward to seeing some ideas thrown around here.

DQ
04-19-2007, 06:44 AM
I think I'll definitely try doing a hat for my cousins son...but I don't know if I'll do anything for anyone else.

nadja la claire
04-19-2007, 08:43 AM
I'm thinking about it. I'd like to make something other than scarves this year. Maybe I'll finish the Bear claw throw that I started last year for my SIL. I'd like to make a shrug or something funky for my niece. I don't know what to make for my brother and nephews. Maybe I'll be able to decipher the felted clog pattern in time to make a pair for my mom and maybe one of my DILs and one of my sons. my other DIL is very picky so I think for her just a nice soft scarf will have to do for her. My younger son will appreciate anything maybe a pair of clogs for him. I don't know what to make for my grandchildren, I really don't want to make them clothing yet because they're growing so quickly. Maybe just more hats and scarves. Although I'd like to make Monica for my DGD. There's also a handful of friends.

I don't know, thinking about it is a little depressing because I know I'm going to have to start soon.

:muah: :hug:

Nadja xxx

marykz
04-19-2007, 08:47 AM
My Mom is the star knitter for my side of the family, and my in-laws are extremely ungrateful. Soooo no knitting for family! But I have wonderful friends that are going to get something. I bought a pile of cottons to make pretty dishcloths with a teacup pattern, then I was going to go off to the local Paint your Own Pottery place and paint some tea cups. But we shall see if that ever actually gets done..... :figureditout:

carmabelle1191
04-19-2007, 09:34 AM
I tihn I'm going to knit for my uncles this year, as I knit for my aunts last year. I made them on size 35 needles, but did some easy thing that really looked fancy so everyone would be impressed. Of course I knit soemthing special for my mom, grandmother, and cousin (who is my age). My mom received a tank top (http://www.flickr.com/photos/36021300@N00/335256723/) on size 11 needles out of 100% wool. She got it before Christmas, and she crocheted the edge on it (she's a crocheter), but she still loves it. For my grandma I knit a 1x1 ribbed scarf with a little keyhole with TLC yarn. My cousin got a hat made out of Caron and Red Heart in her school colors, purple and gold. Everyone seemed to love their stuff, but I've never seen my cousin wear her hat though. :?? She probably won't be getting anything this year. :teehee:

Sanibelle
04-19-2007, 09:39 AM
I have the nicest people that work for me and every year I knit something for them. One year it was scarves, then ponchos, shrugs, shawls, booga bags, cabled clutch bags, hats, etc. I am trying to figure out what they would like for this year as I have 15 people that work for me that I try and knit something for. I alwyas try to start by May or I never get it done. It is a lot of pressure but it is worth every minute when I see their faces. All winter long there is not a work day that goes by that someone doesn't have one of my creations.

Any ideas for this year would be appreciated!

Lynn

stacyk9
04-19-2007, 10:08 AM
This is my first year knitting, so I really want to make something for everyone this year! That may be a bit overzealous, though. I would like to knit some Christmas socks for my nieces, the Monk's Satchel for my nephew who will be in his first year of college, a throw/afghan for my Grandma on the HUGE needles because I've heard that throws/afghans can get pretty boring after a while, and considering making golf club covers for my Dad. High hopes, so we'll see how it goes. I'll probably be knitting over my lunch hour for the next 7 months!!!

Stacy

XbelovedXoneX
04-19-2007, 10:58 AM
this year I decided I'm only going to knit for those people who really appreciate it... my parents. I'm not going to waste hours on my MIL this year. :teehee: :twisted:

BostonBecca
04-19-2007, 11:00 AM
I might knit Hannukah/holiday presents....

I probably will make hats! Everyone loves a good hat. My sister will probably get a sweater/capelet thing I found online but her birthday is right with Hannukah almost every year, so she gets a bigger present.

rebecca
04-19-2007, 11:30 AM
OH my, I've not even begun to knit the things that I had planned to knit this year! I am now and will be for some time knitting socks for Lonnie...then there are shawls and girl sock designs, the list goes on...I will do as I did last year and the year before for Christmas...NOT knit unless I decide to do something for someone. I decided after my 1st year of knitting for Christmas that I would never again...way too much stress for this girl!!

brendajos
04-19-2007, 11:35 AM
OH my, I've not even begun to knit the things that I had planned to knit this year! I am now and will be for some time knitting socks for Lonnie...then there are shawls and girl sock designs, the list goes on...I will do as I did last year and the year before for Christmas...NOT knit unless I decide to do something for someone. I decided after my 1st year of knitting for Christmas that I would never again...way too much stress for this girl!!

That's what I feel. If I set myself a deadline for when it has to be done most of the time i drag my feet to do it because i just hate those deadlines. i would rather knit at my leisure and then decide how i want to gift it.

dink
04-19-2007, 01:18 PM
I've already promised my brother a scarf. If it'll be for Christmas or not is yet to be decided. I might make my best friend one too. But outside of that, haven't thought about it.

PaperGirl
04-19-2007, 03:08 PM
When DH saw me seriously learning to knit, he commented that his grandmother used to made slippers for his mom and aunt...so for Christmas, Im thinking of making the clogs for them. And probably my nephews too.

My sisters and mom might get a Booga, if I figure THAT out in time.

Otherwise, Im not sure. Just reading this thread, I started to reel off names and people...OMG...the list gets bigger every minute! :doh:

syndactylus
04-19-2007, 03:53 PM
I seem to be a better knitter under pressure, and I was going to make socks, but now they are on notice. All of them. Except the ones I make for myself.

Arielluria
04-19-2007, 04:21 PM
Once all the baby knitting gets done, maybe I'll get around to Christmas knitting. (Just watch - one of my other friends or cousins will announce a bundle of joy as soon as this next one gets here! I tell you, they put something in the water...)Can you bottle some of that water and mail it to me? :roflhard:

AnaK
04-19-2007, 09:33 PM
I decided not to give knitted gifts this year. I will just make for my DH, DD and DS. I did make very nice scarves, hats and pillows previously and they realy liked them. They even asked for another one for next xmas.
But what made me decide not to make them anything anymore is that they do not understand that good yarn is expensive. I bought pricey yarn for those projects and spent a lot of time doing them. If I just went and purchased things it would of been cheaper I am sure.
They all know I love yarn and anything related to knitting and crocheting but I have never received 1 scain of yarn from them.
I am sorry I don't mean to be negative but I am a bit sensitive about this issue.
Everything we got was picked from the sale rack and without any tought if we would like it or need it. I am thinking of stoping the whole gift giving craze and just geting together and spend time with the family.

Mommy22alyns
04-19-2007, 10:06 PM
:thud:

Hadn't given it a thought yet. I suppose if my family gets knitted things from me, it'll be a bonus! :teehee: I've collected ideas from everyone but told them not to expect anything within any timeframe.

And I have to say... this does not include MIL. She never seems to use or appreciate anything we give her (including pics of the girls :!!!: ) so there's no frickin' way I'm going to spend time and effort to knit her anything.

brokenblossoms
04-19-2007, 10:26 PM
I think I will knit my dad a nice sweater. His favourite one has an inch-long split in the arm pit from being worn so much! :) It's a nice chocolate brown with a zipper about 5" long at the collar.

I told my mom I'm not going to knit her anything until she lets me teacher her how to knit, but now that she's begun a painting class, I'm going back on my word. ;) I want to knit her one of the Perdita bracelets from knitty, and I don't know what else yet. Hmmmmm....

debinoz
04-19-2007, 10:46 PM
Do y'all remember that commercial that was on last Christmas where the guy had made something for his wife or girlfriend and the announcer says something like, "Homemade presents are fine....if you're a 7 year old."?

That's MY family. (Does not include dh,ds or dd's) The rest would rather have some little dollar crap from the store than something you spent hours making.

ironmaiden
04-19-2007, 11:44 PM
Do y'all remember that commercial that was on last Christmas where the guy had made something for his wife or girlfriend and the announcer says something like, "Homemade presents are fine....if you're a 7 year old."?

That's MY family. (Does not include dh,ds or dd's) The rest would rather have some little dollar crap from the store than something you spent hours making.

I think most of the people I know are this way. They don't understand that a handmade gift is as much an expression of caring and love as it is a material gift. Not to mention usually cooler than a storebought gift.

Argh.

mathwizard
04-20-2007, 08:32 AM
Hi everyone!
Nice sunny day again after all the rain we had in Mass. I already started making gifts. I am the only woman in a household of 5 yes 5 men. Do they appreciate what I do for them ? Yes they do 95% of the time. This year I am knitting or crocheting them hats, scarfs, fingerless gloves or mittens, and if I get really ambitious an afghan.
I work while the tv gives me background noise or I plug in my cd player and listen to music and time really flies by.
Last year I made them xmass stockings that took a long time because they were needlepoint or cross stitch. This year is a simple year.
Happy :cheering: :teehee: knitting or crocheting.
Mathwizard

Miss Moosey
04-20-2007, 10:14 AM
My roomate next year celebrates Christmas so I am making her a nice scarf with a celtic knot-y cable pattern on it. I'm starting it now because goodness knows Christmas comes quickly!

Rebecca

Julie
04-20-2007, 10:50 AM
I doubt I'll knit for Christmas this year unless someone drops a big hint!

I am going to knit the aran tree skirt from Melanie Falick's Handknit Holidays -- I hope to have it done in time for an auction in October. It's absolutely stunning :heart:

Arielluria
04-20-2007, 11:01 AM

That's MY family. (Does not include dh,ds or dd's) The rest would rather have some little dollar crap from the store than something you spent hours making.Well, eventually they grow to appreciate it, I think. So make it anyway! ;)