PDA

View Full Version : rib for self-striping socks

boyforpele13
04-18-2007, 10:45 PM
hey sock knitters!

i have some lovely self striping yarn, want to do SOME kind of pattern, but obviously nothing too intricate to get lost in the stripes. SKS has a couple chevron patterns, but I'm not in love with them. any ideas?

thanks!

psammeadred
04-18-2007, 10:47 PM
I've used a 2X2 rib with a mock cable every 4th row. That makes a nice fitted sock that doesn't bore you to death.

boyforpele13
04-18-2007, 10:48 PM
like the K2, P2 for 3 rows, then a K2tog without dropping the sts off and K the 1st stitch again kinda thing?

thanks!

psammeadred
04-18-2007, 11:08 PM
like the K2, P2 for 3 rows, then a K2tog without dropping the sts off and K the 1st stitch again kinda thing?

thanks!

Precisely! I keep that pattern down over the instep, then switch to stockinette to shape the toe.

auburnchick
04-18-2007, 11:08 PM
Oh gosh...I did the chevron and just LOVED the way the socks came out! I have gotten more compliments on these socks too!

You could always do a simple SS stitch...would definitely allow the striping to strut its stuff.

boyforpele13
04-18-2007, 11:11 PM
you might have talked me back into it. i started the ridged feather from SKS book and i like the way it looked, but dropped a stitch somewhere and couldn't find it and got mad and ripped. ;) this yarn is cursed, i swear! maybe i'll give it another shot though.

that will lead me to a post in the how-to section, though, on how to make YOs look at least somewhat even, haven't figured that one out yet. ;)

want2knit
04-18-2007, 11:17 PM
Sean, have you seen this (http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEsummer03/PATTbroadripple.html://url) or this (http://www.magknits.com/Sept05/patterns/jaywalker.htm://url)?

They both maintain the stripes, with a little edginess!

auburnchick
04-18-2007, 11:18 PM
you might have talked me back into it. i started the ridged feather from SKS book and i like the way it looked, but dropped a stitch somewhere and couldn't find it and got mad and ripped. ;) this yarn is cursed, i swear! maybe i'll give it another shot though.

Oh, I do like the ridged feather too! I think those are very nice patterns to use with self-striping yarn.

boyforpele13
04-18-2007, 11:21 PM
you know, i might just try broadripple... i did look at it, but hadn't considered it because i was too lazy to modify for size and yarn, but all i need to do is add 14 stitches and i'd be good to go. thanks!

Emeraldcutie
04-19-2007, 08:01 AM
Broad ripple has two different patterns.
Are you using something with a comparable gauge to Lorna's Laces ?

If you go to the pattern for it on knitty and email Rob at the bottom, he will send you the modified one.

I made them and thought they were wonderful.

cheesiesmom
04-19-2007, 10:42 AM
I've made the Lacy Mock Cable sock and the Fluted Bannister sock in self-striping yarn. Both worked well. You can find those patterns at KnittingPatternCentral.com in the "Socks" section. Also, the Blueberry Waffle sock. That pattern can be found by googling it. There's a couple of variations out there, but they are essentially alike.

I did make the Broadripple sock in self-striping, which turned out well, but is a little tight going over my heel. I don't know if the sock shrunk slightly or if it's the pattern.

I really loved the Fluted Bannister sock. The pattern was easy but not to the point of boredom.

Vendie
04-19-2007, 07:46 PM
You might have already started the Broad Ripples, but Roza's Socks are very pretty. I'm using Koigu for mine and it is striping - it's quite lovely, and the stitch isn't getting lost. It would be an easy pattern to modify for yarn/needles, since it's essentially a 3X3 rib, with the purls being a brioche stitch. More interesting than a traditional rib, but not so intricate that it gets lost in a busy yarn.