PDA

View Full Version : When you lose your mojo...

Mommy22alyns
04-19-2007, 02:35 PM
When you're knitting a piece and start to get bored by it and you'd rather work on different projects instead... do you put it aside to finish it later, or make yourself finish it?

I'm getting bored with Becca's scarf. I know it'll be quite a while before she can use it, but I don't want to put it away and then never want to finish it! :oops:

brendajos
04-19-2007, 02:39 PM
nope i put it away unless it is something that i absolutely have to finish. When it is an absolute must then i make sure that it is the only project i carry in my bag so i have no choice but to work on it when i am out and about.

like baby blankets... :wall:

threesmom
04-19-2007, 04:09 PM
I never have just one project going - this could be why it takes a looong time to finish certain things. But I like to knit depending on my mood. If I want to be productive, I work on something almost finished, if I just feel like mindless stuff, I work on a blanket, if I want something done, I work on something small - or that needs to be finished by a certain time. And I put down unseasonal things too - I like to think my UFO's and the needles attached are resting :wink: If you're bored, put it down - I don't know about you, but knitting time is too precious to me to work on something I'm not enjoying. If the yarn and pattern are good, you'll come back to it.

DQ
04-19-2007, 04:15 PM
I've limited myself to having no more than 3 things OTN...I've got one thing that I'd LIKE to finish but I need a break from because it's challenging, one out of season one, and one mindless one. I think it's nice to be able to change to suit your mood! :mrgreen:

meg9
04-19-2007, 04:16 PM
I put it aside and start something else that does excite me.

Like right now I have the cover sweater from fitted knits OTN, and it is so pretty and nearly finished, but I'm bored to tears with it, so I haven't touched it since knitting night on Tuesday with my friends, tonight I'm going to pick out either some Rowan Cotton Tape or Linen Print from my stash, sit down with the pattern books for them and see if anything interests me :)

I've just been learning to sew, so I feeling like I'm cheating on my knitting!

Meg

nadja la claire
04-19-2007, 04:21 PM
I always have several things going for just this reason. Although there are something that I just got really tired of or I grew to dislike. I put those away to be frogged later and turned into something else.

:muah: :hug:

Nadja xxx

knitqueen
04-19-2007, 04:38 PM
I'm becoming more and more the type to have just one project going at a time because I KNOW that if I put something aside, I will most likely never come back to it. :oops:

Nobones
04-19-2007, 04:47 PM
I normally have a couple of differnt projects going, so you can knit which one suits your mood. However this project has been so big and complicated,(for me at least). I haven't even thought of having something else on the go.

syndactylus
04-19-2007, 05:03 PM
usually I just keep going anyway, because I wasn't raised to be a quitter! :teehee: and I would never finish anything if I didn't, I think it's an unwritten rule I have to reknit everything at least 3 times before I can actually finish.
but with these socks I'm knitting I might just throw the yarn out the window and pretend it mysteriously disappeared.

Nobones
04-19-2007, 05:07 PM
So many people knit socks don't they? Just looking at a sock pattern scares me and brings me out in a sweat! Far far too hard for me. Although I LOVE over the knee stripey socks.

Mariblue
04-19-2007, 05:26 PM
I've limited myself to having no more than 3 things OTN...I've got one thing that I'd LIKE to finish but I need a break from because it's challenging, one out of season one, and one mindless one. I think it's nice to be able to change to suit your mood! :mrgreen:

I do this too. I've also found that if I'm working on a large project, I like to mix it up with knitting something small and fast so I feel like I'm accomplishing something. I try to keep it limited to about 3 projects, though, because if I get too many projects going, then I never finish anything!

dustinac
04-19-2007, 05:30 PM
nope i put it away unless it is something that i absolutely have to finish. When it is an absolute must then i make sure that it is the only project i carry in my bag so i have no choice but to work on it when i am out and about.

this is what I do.. baby blankets always get me.. I have to stick to just that afghan until its done.. and then make it as short as I can get by with... :teehee:

psammeadred
04-19-2007, 05:33 PM

this is what I do.. baby blankets always get me.. I have to stick to just that afghan until its done.. and then make it as short as I can get by with... :teehee:

Funny you should say that - I'm just about to take the one I've been knitting to my LYS and ask them to tell me it's big enough!

I definitely get bored with projects easily. The way I figure it, as long as it's not "due" by a certain date (birthday, Christmas, etc.), take your time! You don't want your hobby to become a chore.

Quiara
04-19-2007, 05:34 PM
So many people knit socks don't they? Just looking at a sock pattern scares me and brings me out in a sweat! Far far too hard for me. Although I LOVE over the knee stripey socks.

Far too hard? You don't really believe that, do you? You're an intelligent, capable person who probably dressed herself this morning, yes? YOU CAN KNIT SOCKS!

Seriously. Take the plunge. You'll never look back.

Erm. . . not that it's addictive or anything. . . :---

jeanius80
04-19-2007, 06:13 PM
socks are great... :teehee: but dont take my word for it, i only just started the toes on my first pair last night :rofl: but i am hooked! :happydance:

ArtLady1981
04-20-2007, 04:25 AM
Are you able to knit a little every day? Why not try this:

Every third day work on the scarf.
The other two consecutive days, work on your new project. Doesn't matter how many hours...just work on it so that you don't lose your tension and your "pattern mantra"!

You will see progress on both projects and have no regrets nor guilt! :happydance:

HamburgKnitter
04-20-2007, 04:39 AM
Socks aren't hard! I'm on my third pair. Go buy yourself some funky sock yarn and do the Silver sock tutorial. Each part of the sock on it's own is actually really easy, so if you go through it step by step it's no problem at all. Socks are great mobile knitting projects, and good in-between projects if you want to work on something small in between some bigger projects...and they're also great for when you can't blow alot of money on yarn but really want to buy something. :oops:

That being said, I have my first deserted UFO to report. I think I'm going to frog it eventually. On top of that I'm working on the knitty thermal pattern which is taking FOREVER - a sweater on 2.5 needles :doh: - and a pair of easy lace socks (my first attempt at lace). I'm done with sock #1 and am suffering from Second Sock Syndrome pretty bad, so basically I've just been working on the thermal in the evenings during my knitting time. I think I'll cast on the second sock this weekend though.

Nobones
04-20-2007, 10:36 AM
Working with more than Two needles? :thud:

Quiara
04-20-2007, 10:39 AM
No! See, that's exactly it: you're never working with more than 2 needles. The rest just sit there while you knit with two just like always. You can do it!

Mommy22alyns
04-20-2007, 11:22 AM
Are you able to knit a little every day? Why not try this:

Every third day work on the scarf.
The other two consecutive days, work on your new project. Doesn't matter how many hours...just work on it so that you don't lose your tension and your "pattern mantra"!

You will see progress on both projects and have no regrets nor guilt! :happydance:

That sounds like a great idea! I think I'll give that one a try. :D

Nobones - socks scare the mess out of me too, but I intend to try them one day soon. So you have to jump in with me! :mrgreen:

auburnchick
04-20-2007, 11:30 AM
I like ArtLady's idea as well. I don't think you should put it down completely or else you won't have it when you want it. Maybe you could try measuring your progress each time you work on it too. That might encourage you as you really "see" it growing.

cookworm
04-20-2007, 12:16 PM
Amber, you must've been peeking my my "current projects" bag! :oops: I have two shawls that I started with full steam, only to have run out of steam on them. The one, I just decided I'm not thrilled with the pattern or the yarn anymore (peach shawl), and the other one, I'm really not thrilled with the yarn anymore (red shawl). I vowed that I will finish the red shawl for sure, but the peach shawl, I may just tear out what I've already started and return the unused yarn if I can (I bought quite a bit of it) to get something that I really like.

The peach shawl is a shawl I started for somebody when I was not willing to try to "branch out" and do more involved projects, and now that I've been working on more advance stitches, I feel like it looks like a real amateurish attempt, and it was for a very special event, so I think I should just cut my losses and do something really nice.

I guess it just depends on what the project is and why I've put it away as to whether I'll finish it or not. One of my very first projects was for a gift but it was loaded with mistakes, and I didn't know how to correct them, so I put it away until I could figure it out. Later on, I decided it wasn't worth salvaging, so I frogged the whole thing and started over, and I was glad I did, because the FO came out really nice. If it's something my heart isn't in or I get bored with it, I'd say it's likely I won't finish it, although I'm going to try not to do that...I don't want to waste money.