PDA

View Full Version : what cast on for sweater?

loquacious
04-20-2007, 01:41 PM
OK I am going to try to knit my first sweater for my 6 yr old and is there a cast on which is better- tubular or ok to start with long tail? this is lke a cardigan- only two buttons near top. any advice/opinions would be appreciated
heather

Jan in CA
04-20-2007, 01:57 PM
I always use long tail unless the pattern specifies something else.

kristinw
04-20-2007, 01:59 PM
I always use long tail unless the pattern specifies something else.

Yup, me too!

threesmom
04-20-2007, 02:02 PM
I'm making a similar sounding cardigan for my daughter. I think it sort of depends on the pattern you are using, but I generally use long-tail cast-on for just about any sweater I do. Just remember that it gives you a row of knit stitches, so you might want to check into one of other ones (I think Amy has a few here), if you are doing ribbing. I myself hate ribbing at the bottom edge of sweaters, and usually use garter or moss stitch, and it usually looks fine with long-tail.
Happy knitting!

zkimom
04-20-2007, 09:52 PM
Depends on how many stitches I have to cast on -- if it's a lot, I go for the knitted cast on so I don't have to frog cause I didn't use enough yarn for the long tail.

Best,
Susan

redwitch
04-20-2007, 11:46 PM
Any caston should work: it depends on what you find easier and how good it looks. You might really like the look of tubular for ribbing... but it's slow. You might not love longtail quite so much... but it's much faster.

Sarah

loquacious
04-21-2007, 09:05 PM
As thi sis my first sweater attempt-- it seemed to easy to do a regular cast on I thought surely I must be not doing somethign right! thanks for all help.
heather