PDA

View Full Version : average cost for roving?

jeanius80
04-20-2007, 07:13 PM
i recently found out there is a near by lady who sells her roving. she raises Romney/Romaldale/CVM sheep. is this nice to use, and is $2/ounce a good price? i am going to buy a spindle this weekend and wanted to buy roving fro a local farm. thanks for the info spinners :)

jeanius80
04-21-2007, 12:55 PM
anyone? i checked miss babs site, and so this local roving seems like a great deal. i really more worried if it is hard to spin...oh well. i guess i will just give it a go. thanks anyway.

TrinaOR
04-21-2007, 02:25 PM
Personally I think its a bit high.. but then I dont buy much if its over 1.00 an oz...but it does depend on what type wool it is.. if your looking for something to practice with there are some places that sell mill end roving at very good prices.. Here is a site that sells mill end roving.. I am going to order my first time from them but I have heard good things about them... http://www.thesheepshedstudio.com/Roving.html also ebay is a good place to watch..

I have no affliliation with the company above, and hope I did not break any rules by posting their url

Julie
04-21-2007, 09:12 PM
I've heard great things about CVM -- I think $2.oz. is probably a good price if it's pure CVM roving, not a blend of CVM with something else. I know Romney and Romeldale tend to be cheaper -- it's pretty easy to find them for $1/oz.

jeanius80
04-21-2007, 09:23 PM
thanks for the info julie! i went to my LYS today, and they had Lorna's Laces Roving for $22. it was sooo pretty.. i may have to go back.... :teehee:

kemp
04-23-2007, 03:24 PM
$2 oz for really nice fiber isn't out of line...it just depends on what it is. I have stuff from around $1.40 an oz/ to around $4.00 an oz. Like anything else the better the fiber the more $$$ it costs

For an "apples to apples" comparison, if I were to get Romney from a commercial processor (ashford of nz) the retail per oz would be .78 However, it would be impossible to tell if that Romeny would be as nice as what you'd be getting.

jeanius80
04-23-2007, 03:46 PM
$2 oz for really nice fiber isn't out of line...it just depends on what it is. I have stuff from around $1.40 an oz/ to around $4.00 an oz. Like anything else the better the fiber the more $$$ it costs

For an "apples to apples" comparison, if I were to get Romney from a commercial processor (ashford of nz) the retail per oz would be .78 However, it would be impossible to tell if that Romeny would be as nice as what you'd be getting.

Thanks for the store owners perspective kemp! good to know what sort of markups there are. i like the idea of the supplier ( i e local farmer :) ) getting a good sale price, instead of having to sell it really low to compete with large wholesellers. spreading the love :muah:

kemp
04-23-2007, 03:54 PM
You're welcome. I like the idea of supporting local suppliers too...I have two Ohio Alpaca fiber compaines in the store. I could get alpaca cheaper from commercial sources but it's nice to help smaller suppliers when you can afford to!

Silver
04-24-2007, 11:37 AM
So long as the roving is prepared nicely and isn't full of neps and noils, it's a decent price. Not cheap, but not ridiculous either. And being able to buy it personally and talk to the lady who prepares it is worth an extra buck or two in my book. :)

samm
04-28-2007, 05:57 PM
I bought my first roving today, alpaca from the farm near me, and paid 17cents and ounce. I guess that's okay!? I had no idea what to expect. It isn't dyed, but it's lovely and clean and soft and beautiful and I'm going to try spinning for the first time with my new spindles. I"m a little chicken to try it! I guess I'll just pet the fibre for a while first. I don't want to wreck it! samm

kemp
04-29-2007, 09:44 AM
WOAH! 17 cents an ounce is stealing it! You should buy as much as they'll let you.

ChroniclesofYarnia
04-29-2007, 05:19 PM
If you go to handpaintedyarn.com you can buy merino roving there. It is the stuff that Malabrigo is made out of, so you can have your own mmmm for a TON cheaper.

I tend to buy mill ends on eBay for my source. You can get tons of brown sheeps mill ends, which is fun to spin. Around shearing season you will see alot of raw wool and alpaca on there, too.

Silver
04-30-2007, 09:32 AM
WOAH! 17 cents an ounce is stealing it! You should buy as much as they'll let you.

Yeah! What Kemp said!! :noway:

Shandeh
05-03-2007, 02:29 AM
I keep a spreadsheet of all my fiber purchases. The most I've ever paid for roving was $4.00 an ounce for some pima cotton. The least I've ever paid was 23 cents an ounce for some yucky, raw, uncleaned wool.

Over the past two or three years, I've bought 400 ounces of roving, spending a total of $462.43

The average price for the roving I've bought is $1.59 an ounce.