PDA

View Full Version : CROCHET

mrs.hre
04-22-2007, 06:03 AM
i learned yesterday how to crochet and i hate it. i just can't get the nack of it and my fingers were everywhere with the yarn. so knitting is my thing, so i am going to stick with my knitting.

Ingrid
04-22-2007, 08:52 AM
:teehee:

Braden
04-22-2007, 09:12 AM
Good for you! (the fact that knitting is your thing, not that you couldn't get crochet).

mwedzi
04-22-2007, 09:23 AM
It's all good, of course, if knitting is your thing. But how many of us would be here right now if after the first day when we were uncomfortable with needles we threw them down and said "guess knitting is not my thing"? I tried knitting myself shortly after I learned to crochet and couldn't get it and put the needles down for about 8 years before trying again! Now knitting is very much my thing. :)

brokenblossoms
04-22-2007, 01:58 PM
I crocheted for a few years before I learned how to knit. I don't know why. I hate the way crochet looks (unless it's something like a decorative edging)! I guess I did it to have a creative outlet.

Jan in CA
04-22-2007, 02:02 PM
I crocheted for a few years before I learned how to knit. I don't know why. I hate the way crochet looks (unless it's something like a decorative edging)! I guess I did it to have a creative outlet.

Same here pretty much. I crocheted long before I knit, but I loved the look of knitting much better so I learned how to do it instead. Crochet looks great on edgings though.

cookworm
04-22-2007, 02:07 PM
My grandma taught me how to crochet (just chain stitch and single crochet) when I was a young girl, and I was too young to appreciate it, so I didn't pursue it any further. I couldn't get the hang of holding the yarn in my left hand (I'm a right-handed English knitter), and my tension was always way off, which didn't help matters, because no matter what I tried to crochet, it came out looking crummy. Starting to learn how to knit, there was this mental roadblock there that I couldn't figure out how in the world I was going to be able to knit off of straight needles as opposed to a curved hook without my stitches falling off! And actually, it took me a full year how to learn how to hold the yarn while knitting for my tension :oops: :oops: :oops: (pretty pathetic, huh?), even despite constantly looking at diagrams of how to hold the yarn. One day, I just wound the yarn around my fingers like I had always done it, and it "clicked" for me.

The two crafts are pretty different, and it will take time to master crochet techniques. Although I still remember how to single crochet and chain stitch after 20+ years, I would really like go back and learn how to crochet because there are some FABULOUS crocheted things out there too. If you don't mind me saying so, don't be too discouraged and give up just yet. I think it is just so awesome to be able to do both crocheting and knitting!

Maybe this website's videos will help a bit. It's a lot like Amy's videos for knitting, but doing crocheting. They seem to be very well done, and I've used them myself:
http://www.nexstitch.com/v_crochet_videos.html

uplate6674
04-22-2007, 02:53 PM
I'm a knitter who just learned to crochet this month. I love it! It's great to be able to do both. So many more options are available.

SabrinaJL
04-22-2007, 05:10 PM
After seeing a ton of cool things over on the Crafster crochet board, I REALLY wanna learn to crochet. I just wish I had someone that could help me out. I learned to knit out of books and off the internet, but I just don't think it's going to work the same for crochet. I think this is something I need to see demonstrated in person. I've been trying though.

madametj
04-22-2007, 06:07 PM
I used to hate crochet, too, but know that I've gotten the hang of it, I luv it! In fact, there are a lot of things about crochet that I like better than knitting. :hiding: (the fabric, no binding off, no hassle in ripping stitches...) I know how to chain, single crochet, double, and half-double. Its great, and I plan to learn more! :happydance:

DonnaS
04-22-2007, 07:06 PM
Crochet is and always will be my first love. I picked up knitting because there are some fibers that just work better knitted.. but there are many that just work better crocheted. The look of crochet will change according to yarn, tension and stitches used but neither one is better or easier than the other. They both take time and practice to become proficient.

If you don't like it fine.. don't do it. Your don't "learn to crochet" in a day.. you might start learning some techniques, but like any craft it takes time and practice to become proficient.

DonnaS
04-22-2007, 07:07 PM
Crochet is and always will be my first love. I picked up knitting because there are some fibers that just work better knitted.. but there are many that just work better crocheted. The look of crochet will change according to yarn, tension and stitches used but neither one is better or easier than the other. They both take time and practice to become proficient.

If you don't like it fine.. don't do it but you don't "learn to crochet" in a day.. you might start learning some techniques, but like any craft it takes time and practice to become proficient.

Braden
04-22-2007, 08:52 PM
I would say I'm an advanced crocheter, and I do it sometimes, and it makes great afghans, but, I've always liked knitting better. :shrug:

dustinac
04-22-2007, 08:57 PM
I try every time I go home :rofl: .. I can do enough to get by on edgings... I made my little girl a purse... but when I come home and mom is not sitting right beside me I can't get it to come out right...I have a shawl pattern from stitch diva that I want her to help me with this summer... :teehee: I also have an afghan that I started about 6 years ago that still looks like a scarf and mom tells me crochet afghans are a lot faster... :wall:

Inis
04-22-2007, 10:33 PM
For me it's the exact opposite.

I'm new to knitting - about a year now, but have crocheted since elementary school ... a long, long time. So, I can crochet with my eyes closed, yet really have to pay attention when I knit.

I like both and feel both have their own beauty.

If you really wanna have some fun try double-ended crochet :)

raederle
04-22-2007, 10:53 PM
I learned how to crochet this past summer. I knit English style, wrapping not picking, and now I crochet the same way! Instead of grabbing the yarn with my hook, I wrap it around the hook. I know that's not the way one should do it, but I can't help it.

I can knit Continental, but English is more comfortable for me. I have a project that I'm making in the round stockinette and I am not allowed to knit any way other than Continental. It's slow going. I bet crocheting "the right way" will also take some discipline to do.

I finished the SnB Crochet book pattern Sock Monkey Afghan, and it's pretty cute. (Still have to weave in umpteen ends, though.)

madametj
04-22-2007, 11:08 PM

what is that? :??

Inis
04-22-2007, 11:43 PM

what is that? :??

It's sort of a version of afghan crochet, but with a hook at both ends you have a lot of options --- here's a better explanation http://www.crochetcabana.com/specialty/crochet-double.htm

Jeremy
04-23-2007, 10:41 AM
After seeing a ton of cool things over on the Crafster crochet board, I REALLY wanna learn to crochet. I just wish I had someone that could help me out. I learned to knit out of books and off the internet, but I just don't think it's going to work the same for crochet. I think this is something I need to see demonstrated in person. I've been trying though.

A while back I was looking to learn some crochet techniques for edging on knitted stuff etc. You might be interested in the videos here

http://www.nexstitch.com/Tutorials.html

Good Luck.

Robinknits
04-23-2007, 12:24 PM
I just finished a knitting project that had a crocheted edge. I thought it was fun and it made me want to try some more crochet - but I've got too many knitting projects in the works right now. One of these days...

Cherinec5
04-23-2007, 02:16 PM
you know I just learned to crochet about a year ago and i love it for afghans and shawls and stuff like that. i taught myself off the nexstitch website and it wasnt as hard as i had thought it would be. now i have about 4 croche wips and 1 knit wip.

Mommy22alyns
04-23-2007, 03:18 PM
My mom can crochet (among her many creative talents) and she taught me at a fairly young age how to crochet a single chain. That's all I ever really picked up! She never could knit, which is why I wanted to learn.

My knitting teacher is thinking of offering a couple of crochet classes in the fall, and I can't decide whether to take one or not. I'd like to truly learn, but I'm afraid it would spread me too thin. :shrug:

DotMom61
04-23-2007, 05:35 PM
OK, all of you crocheting experts!! I just decided to try & make this (http://www.sugarncream.com/pattern.php?PID=133) bag. I have the basics of crochet down -- Grandma taught me many, many years ago -- but the very beginning of this pattern doesn't make sense to me.

It says:

BASE: Ch 43. 1st rnd: 1 sc in 2nd
ch from hook. 1 sc in each ch to end of ch. Do not
turn. Working into other side of ch, work 1 sc in each
rem loop of ch. Join with ss to first sc. 84 sc. 2nd rnd:
Ch 1. 1 sc in same sc as last ss. 1 sc in each sc around.
Join with ss to first sc. Rep last rnd 6 times more.

I get the "Ch 43" part on up until it says "Do not turn. Working into other side of ch, work 1 sc in each rem loop of ch."

If I'm working to the end of the chain in the 1st round, what remaining loops of chain are they talking about :?? And then I'm supposed to end up w/ 84 sc???

This part should end up as a solid base, I believe, but I'm so confused!

Sorry to post this here, btw. I couldn't find anywhere else on the internet where I felt comfortable posting a question like this! :shifty:

:thinking: As I'm thinking through this, I think I just visualized what they want me to do ... :figureditout: ... I'll let you know if I work it out .. it's a great bag ... and now I have to interrupt this monologue to go to the grocery store. :oops:

SabrinaJL
04-23-2007, 08:06 PM
... and now I have to interrupt this monologue to go to the grocery store. :oops:

Wouldn't it be awesome if you had the bag to take with you? :roflhard:

Jeremy, thanks for that link. I'll have to check it out. I actually know how to do some of the stitches. I can do single, double, half-double and treble. It's making the stitches into something other than a flat square/rectangle that continues to elude me.

Inis
04-23-2007, 11:18 PM
OK, all of you crocheting experts!! I just decided to try & make this (http://www.sugarncream.com/pattern.php?PID=133) bag. I have the basics of crochet down -- Grandma taught me many, many years ago -- but the very beginning of this pattern doesn't make sense to me.

It says:

BASE: Ch 43. 1st rnd: 1 sc in 2nd
ch from hook. 1 sc in each ch to end of ch. Do not
turn. Working into other side of ch, work 1 sc in each
rem loop of ch. Join with ss to first sc. 84 sc. 2nd rnd:
Ch 1. 1 sc in same sc as last ss. 1 sc in each sc around.
Join with ss to first sc. Rep last rnd 6 times more.

I get the "Ch 43" part on up until it says "Do not turn. Working into other side of ch, work 1 sc in each rem loop of ch."

If I'm working to the end of the chain in the 1st round, what remaining loops of chain are they talking about :?? And then I'm supposed to end up w/ 84 sc???

This part should end up as a solid base, I believe, but I'm so confused!

Sorry to post this here, btw. I couldn't find anywhere else on the internet where I felt comfortable posting a question like this! :shifty:

:thinking: As I'm thinking through this, I think I just visualized what they want me to do ... :figureditout: ... I'll let you know if I work it out .. it's a great bag ... and now I have to interrupt this monologue to go to the grocery store. :oops:

Let's see if I can explain this.

Picture a braided rug where the bands circle around the center. That's sort of what this pattern is doing. You're ringing the chain with sc.

Does that make sense? If not, I can get out the camera tomorrow and do a demo.

Nobones
04-24-2007, 06:40 AM

I can crochet, and the book 'Happy Hooker's' taught me. If I can learn from a book so can you.

DonnaS
04-24-2007, 07:21 AM
Picture a braided rug where the bands circle around the center. That's sort of what this pattern is doing. You're ringing the chain with sc.

That's exactly what they mean :)

It sounds like, for the ones of you that have learned some basic stitches, the problem isn't in the stitch but in the pattern :) Just like with knitting it's all the same stitches.. just in different combinations to make different things :)

DotMom61
04-24-2007, 09:18 AM
I got it!

Thank you Inis & Donna -- after typing out my question yesterday, I suddenly was able to visualize what they were saying.

I worked on it for a while last night & got the base done & started the mesh portion. It's *really* cool.

While I was working on it, I kept thinking how you could actually adapt the technique and use it to start the base of a knitted bag! It makes such a nice "seam" for the bottom. :happydance:

Thanks again for your help!

Yarnlady
04-25-2007, 08:32 AM
I know that's not the way one should do it, but I can't help it.... I bet crocheting "the right way" will also take some discipline to do.Just like with knitting, there is no "right way" to crochet. If your fabric comes out the way you want it, then it was done correctly.
If I'm working to the end of the chain in the 1st round, what remaining loops of chain are they talking about :?? And then I'm supposed to end up w/ 84 sc???You are working around your base chain in a spiral. Turn and go back along the initial base chain. When you get to the end, instead of turning and going back along the row you just crocheted, keep going around the end and back up the other side of the base chain. If you need pictures, let me know.

It'll be one of those :doh: moments once you do it. This particular method makes a wonderful purse, bag, etc., base and elimiminates that icky seam that appears in crocheting in the round.

You can use this to create a toe in toe-up crocheted socks or slippers.

marykz
04-25-2007, 09:52 AM
You are working around your base chain in a spiral. Turn and go back along the initial base chain. When you get to the end, instead of turning and going back along the row you just crocheted, keep going around the end and back up the other side of the base chain. If you need pictures, let me know.

OH!!! I wish I'd read this earlier- looks much nicer than the seam I can see on my bag. Thanks!!!

DotMom61
04-25-2007, 03:58 PM
Thanks, Yarnlady! As I was writing out my question, I had a revelation about what they were saying. And, yes, it makes a LOVELY "seam" on the base of the bag. I'm thinking about using that as a start for a knitted bag when I get done. I think you could chain the required # of stitches, crochet around the chain, and then pick up stitches & start knitting ... OR ... you could go ahead & crochet a base like is described in the pattern I'm making & then pick up stitches and knit the body of the bag. I'll have to play around w/ that.

ambernowknits
04-25-2007, 04:47 PM
I've been gone from this lovely forums for the last...oh my, has it really been months? x_x During that space of time, I taught myself to crochet, and was busy doing that. Now, I knit even more smoothly and I can now maintain a steady gauge. There are some things that knitting is better for, but it's still easier for me to plunk down in front of the tv and crochet; knitting I can't do without looking yet.

I have friends who crochet, and though I've tried teaching them to knit, they just don't get it. I guess it's all individual preference.

DonnaS
04-25-2007, 08:50 PM
elimiminates that icky seam that appears in crocheting in the round.

Icky seam? :shrug: You've lost me lol I do alot of bags in the round and never have a seam. Are you talking about ending one row and starting another? Or actually crocheting in the round? :shrug:

Yarnlady
04-26-2007, 09:41 AM
elimiminates that icky seam that appears in crocheting in the round. Icky seam? :shrug: You've lost me lol I do alot of bags in the round and never have a seam. Are you talking about ending one row and starting another? Or actually crocheting in the round? :shrug:
Yes, I was talking about the flaw, IMHO, that shows up if you end each round of crochet by doing a slip st in the top of the first st, chain 1, 2,or 3 and begining next round. It breaks up the flow of the design of the sts and makes a seam. If one crochets in the round in a spiral, just like how one knits in the round, it will eliminate that inconsistency.

DotMom61
04-26-2007, 10:37 AM
Yes, I was talking about the flaw, IMHO, that shows up if you end each round of crochet by doing a slip st in the top of the first st, chain 1, 2,or 3 and begining next round. It breaks up the flow of the design of the sts and makes a seam. If one crochets in the round in a spiral, just like how one knits in the round, it will eliminate that inconsistency.
[/color]

Y.L. -- It's weird, 'cause this pattern has you do that slip st/chain 1 thing @ the end of each round even though I'm going in a spiral. Are you saying I don't really need to be doing that? :??