PDA

View Full Version : My Knitting was taken away!!!!!

kellycarr05
04-22-2007, 10:47 PM
:pout:
I went to six flags with my little cousins. I knew I would be waiting for them while they waited in line for rides like Superman ( 2 hour WAIT!!!) so I brought my Hogwarts Harry Potter scarf I had been working on. Thought it would kill some time. Security took the bag because its considered dangerous sharp objects. I had to leave it with them until I left the park. Thats crazy!!!!!! Anyone else agree??????

SabrinaJL
04-22-2007, 10:52 PM
What exactly did they think you were you going to do? Hijack a roller coaster? :roll: Do they take away pens and pencils too? Weird.

callmesusan
04-22-2007, 11:11 PM
The land of the free...

baronreads
04-22-2007, 11:57 PM
What exactly did they think you were you going to do? Hijack a roller coaster? :roll: Do they take away pens and pencils too? Weird.

EXACTLY!! WOW! But you can take them on airplanes! Go figure!! :shrug:

Susan P.
04-23-2007, 12:24 AM
Well, look at it another way. If you'd been on a ride that whirled you around a lot and the bag happened to come undone and one of the knitting needles flew through the air at someone - it could do serious injury. I can actually understand them removing it but it's a wonder they allow them on planes these days. In cabin luggage I mean.

madametj
04-23-2007, 12:33 AM
Well, look at it another way. If you'd been on a ride that whirled you around a lot and the bag happened to come undone and one of the knitting needles flew through the air at someone - it could do serious injury. I can actually understand them removing it but it's a wonder they allow them on planes these days. In cabin luggage I mean.

Well, nobody takes bags on the rides anyway, so they could haev done no harm whatsoever. I suppose they thought that u could kill more than time with the knitting needles :teehee: . seriously what are you gonna say, "Do as I say or i'll pull out the knitting needles"? :roll:

(welcome to KH, btw :waving: )

Susan P.
04-23-2007, 01:35 AM
Oh well..fair enough if they're not taken on rides BUT remember the US man who walked along busy streets and would stab women in the back with a long syringe needle? One woman was very very lucky not to have been paralysed as apparently it just missed her spinal cord. Whereever there are crowds and lots of people the nutters can appear. Maybe it wasn't so much what the young lady may have done with them but some fool who grabbed them and made off with them. It doesn't take much to sharpen a knitting needle you know :-)

I can see both sides but these days I'd rather they acted too cautiously than too liberally.

Jan in CA
04-23-2007, 01:55 AM
Sometimes I wonder about these security checks. We have passes to Disneyland and they now check your purses/backpacks/bags...HOWEVER, they do not check anyone's pocket contents. My DH carries a pretty good size pocket knife a lot of times (holdover from fire dept days) and they have yet to check him, but they check my bag. :??

Susan P.
04-23-2007, 03:17 AM
Good point Jan. It would be fruitful to just pass people through detectors - it wouldn't slow up human traffic any more than direct bag searches do.

RiverDaughter
04-23-2007, 04:17 AM
Everyone always jokes with my that Options would make for a perfect garat and alibi. Which makes me a little nervous that they're still allowed on planes, but I feel a lot better know that they're in my pocket when I walk home after work. :roflhard:

AmandaC
04-23-2007, 04:22 AM
We are not allowed knitting needles at all on the plane in Europe .... :pout: They have to go in the checked in luggage.

zkimom
04-23-2007, 06:23 AM
We are not allowed knitting needles at all on the plane in Europe .... :pout: They have to go in the checked in luggage.

Is that in all of Europe or just the UK?

I was amazed to find as I ran to catch my connecting flight in Heathrow to the US from Paris that we could only bring 1 carry on through the UK. We had traveled from NY to France and then France to the UK with 2 and no one mentioned anything about the new regulation of only 1 carry on. :!!!: Bummer.

Of course, we missed our flight, partly due to that (and a several hour delay in Paris :doh: )

I was glad I had decided to leave my knitting in the States and not even attempt to bring it along.

zkimom
04-23-2007, 06:42 AM
:pout:
I went to six flags with my little cousins. I knew I would be waiting for them while they waited in line for rides like Superman ( 2 hour WAIT!!!) so I brought my Hogwarts Harry Potter scarf I had been working on. Thought it would kill some time. Security took the bag because its considered dangerous sharp objects. I had to leave it with them until I left the park. Thats crazy!!!!!! Anyone else agree??????

Ok, so some lady with knitting needles is a dangerous threat but a seriously depressed and psychotic student is allowed to to buy a gun and ammunition and go completely unnoticed.

And what exactly do you need to sharpen knitting needles to a point where they would be dangerous?

I can see if you were carrying knitting needles AND heavy grit sandpaper or they caught you frantically rubbing your needles on the pavement -- just how long would it take to make a needle sharp enough to be a threat?

It's like the mentality that lingers about taking liquids on a plane. There was an article in a UK paper about what would really have to happen in order for those liquids to be combined and made into an explosive and on an average flight there wouldn't even be the time but still, we can't carry more than 3 - 1 oz bottles.

No, I don't think that erring on the side of caution is better than being intelligent but seeing as there is no real intelligence about this issue on the whole and we don't want to spend any real money on security and continue to entrust our safety to minimum wage security guards, we can just spend the next 21 months (638 days and 6 hours and 23 minutes as of right now) hoping and praying that it will get better.

Susan P.
04-23-2007, 06:52 AM
Hmm..passions can run high on topics like this can't they :-) No need to get personal and no need for me to explain how you can sharpen knitting needles without sandpaper. I don't agree with open gun laws by the way but many folk argue for their maintenance.

I'll leave the topic because this is one of perspectives and I only gave my opinion. Differing opinions can generate new thoughts and some perspectives here made me think again about what I said. I'm not much interested in working towards political discussions on a knitting forum. Cheers :-)

zkimom
04-23-2007, 07:13 AM
Hmm..passions can run high on topics like this can't they :-) No need to get personal and no need for me to explain how you can sharpen knitting needles without sandpaper. I don't agree with open gun laws by the way but many folk argue for their maintenance.

I'll leave the topic because this is one of perspectives and I only gave my opinion. Differing opinions can generate new thoughts and some perspectives here made me think again about what I said. I'm not much interested in working towards political discussions on a knitting forum. Cheers :-)

I didn't mean for this to get personal. Really. :hug: It's just that knitting is one of the things that keeps me sane through all the insanity. And they want to take our needles away :waah:

WHY CAN"T THEY JUST LEAVE OUR KNITTING ALONE!

I promise I'll only bring along my Denise's. I don't think they will pose a threat. Just let me wait on line at the DMV or Disney or in the airport or even on the plane but let me do it with my knitting. :pray:

And BTW, in real life, my name is Susan P. also. :teehee:

Quiltlady
04-23-2007, 07:23 AM
Gee, that is too bad they took them away. But in this day and age...they don't know who is going to do "what". I guess now days it better to be "safe than sorry". I don't think it has anything to do with "home of the free". They want to KEEP us free of evil.

Vendie
04-23-2007, 07:42 AM
And it's very possible that what the park is trying to prevent is unintentional damage and injury - needles falling and jamming equipment, or the one person that still takes their bag on the ride b/c they don't trust the lockers or don't have someone to hold it for them... Maybe it would never happen, but since we're such a law-suit happy society, the minute something did, the park would be held liable.

Susan P.
04-23-2007, 07:55 AM
zkimom. Well..thanks for the nice post. You can stop wailing now. :-)
You DO realise the irony in your avatar don't you LOL

The reason I try to look at issues from the 'other' perspective is simply because until you do a job you just never know all the issues and risks people have to consider. It would be interesting to contact the park and ask about the rule; asking in the collegiate sense of genuinely wanting to know. Quiltlady and Vendie gave some causal reasons and one just never knows.

Don't worry, I think many of us find solace in knitting. I may have to put all my things into temporary storage for a while and the knitting boxes are all going to the front and my current projects in my car! It was one of the first things I thought of!

mwedzi
04-23-2007, 08:28 AM
Well, knitting needles are awfully sharp without being sharpened. Check out this knitting injury!
http://www.anastaciaknits.blogspot.com/

But would they have taken away a crochet hook?

Susan P.
04-23-2007, 08:58 AM
:passedout: @ at that picture......

nonny2t
04-23-2007, 09:25 AM
Listen, whether you feel it was stupid or not, they didn't do it to be mean. I think all knitters have to just come to the realization that times have changed and that we are going to have to accept that truthfully, knitting needles can be dangerous objects. Chalk it up to security and that they are trying to keep everyone safe and let it go. Also, at least they gave you the stuff back. If they take it away at an airport, you lose it permanently!

kemp
04-23-2007, 09:55 AM
The TSA allows screwdrivers under 7" and scissors (blunt or sharp) under 4"...those seem much more dangerous to me than knitting needles. Dangerous times though call for desperate measures...unfortunate but true.

Sanibelle
04-23-2007, 10:17 AM
When I flew home from Italy a couple of months ago I was allowed tobring my knitting on the plane. I originally went through security with it and no one asked me about it, but right before you actually board the plane they again hand search all of your carryons. The security agent questioned it at that point but when I explained to him it was knitting needles and I was making a scarf he let me on with it. I had bought some beautiful chunky yarn in Venice to make a scarf with and the lady in the yarn store suggested size 19 needles - so I had these huge bamboo needles with me.

Lynn

diane21
04-23-2007, 10:33 AM
you can't take knitting needles in carry on in Canada. They even took my hair thinning shearers, which have rounded ends, that I had fogotten about in my bag.

iza
04-23-2007, 11:24 AM
I was about to write that too Diane, last time I travelled by plane within Canada, knitting needles were not allowed. I did manage to travel with circular needles once though, but it was 1-2 years ago, perhaps the rules changed?

Anyways, I find it annoying and I am not entirely sure they do it intelligently, but I do understand why they are doing it. Still, I find it frustrating that often employees are not searched AT ALL. :shrug: We customers can't bring knitting needles, but employees could probably bring a knife or worst!

cheesiesmom
04-23-2007, 11:37 AM
My DH and I are flying to Phoenix next month and when I went through the TSA regs they said knitting needles were OK as well as small scissors. I want to carry on a sock project for the flight and don't want to lose it to the security guys. Would 24" options No. 1 or 2 be OK? Someone reassure me!! Please!! (We've never flown before!!)

Also I heard that if you take along a self-addressed envelope they they will return confiscated stuff. True or just another old wives' tale? I figured it would be worth taking just in case.

Skater
04-23-2007, 11:39 AM
Next time, if there is a next time, you might ask why they are taking them - for safety or security reasons (or both). I can almost understand the safety issue, but not fully. In my opinion, security is not an issue at a park like that in a case like yours.

dink
04-23-2007, 12:13 PM
My DH and I are flying to Phoenix next month and when I went through the TSA regs they said knitting needles were OK as well as small scissors. I want to carry on a sock project for the flight and don't want to lose it to the security guys. Would 24" options No. 1 or 2 be OK? Someone reassure me!! Please!! (We've never flown before!!)

Also I heard that if you take along a self-addressed envelope they they will return confiscated stuff. True or just another old wives' tale? I figured it would be worth taking just in case.

I haven't flown (yet) with knitting needles. So I can't say forsure if they will take them or not. Seems from what I've read before, each airport/TSA is hit or miss. Some people get through, others no. So, I'd be safe and take a SASE with you so can keep your needles/project & have it mailed back to you.

kellycarr05
04-23-2007, 01:04 PM
I flew from Texas to Chicago and back and it was ok. Just call the airines and airport security. I would bring plastic or wood.
I wasnt upset thay took my project away I was just shocked.They have days at the balloark and other places where they have knitting days and you can bring your knitting. I think six flags would benefit.
If you have small kids and have to wait with them while the bigger kids wait in line for big rides it gets boring.

Jan in CA
04-23-2007, 01:45 PM

Yeah, I heard that, too. So last year when we flew to Seattle I had the envelope with me. They let the knitting through, but I asked about a mailbox and he said they didn't have one. So it wouldn't have done me much good. :roll:

BTW..I brought 1 cord and set of needles (Denise) on the plane. I figured if they confiscated that at least I wouldn't lose the entire set.

PinkRoses
04-23-2007, 06:19 PM

:teehee:

mwedzi
04-23-2007, 06:59 PM
I've never heard of anyone on a US domestic flight having their knitting taken away, cheesiemom.

Susan P.
04-23-2007, 07:09 PM
If in doubt, ring that airline AND airport (because two sets of security systems are prevailing) and ask, and, if possible, ask for what you're being told to be faxed to you. Then you can show the document if challenged because if rules come down to discretion of individual guards that's problematic.

Same as for a fun park. Now, ok, maybe one needs to concede that sometimes these places have a security scare and will be tighter when that happens but if a park has 'knitting days' (never heard of that but novel! :-) )
but says no to you then contact the park management or administration and just say you'd like to know why the difference. Maybe it was an over zealous guard and the park needs to talk to staff and ensure all are on the same page.

And again, it may not be YOU they consider the risk but someone grabbing the bag. But I'd ring admin not a problem and just raise the issue in terms of asking for clarification.

debb
04-24-2007, 12:22 AM
This is one big advantage to the Denise set - they don't look as threatening as metal or bamboo needles. I took some bamboo #11 to the baseball park with project attached and had to do some fast talking to get inside. I just kind of roll the Denise's into a circle and tuck the ends under the yarn to make it look as innocuous as possible and I've rarely been questioned.

And that picture looks familiar except it was a ballpoint pen that went into my heel.

brokenblossoms
04-24-2007, 01:00 AM
A knitting needle can do just as much or little damage as a pen or eye brow tweezers. Come on, people! Sheesh!

jelly
04-24-2007, 02:25 AM
back to the original post: i don't know what city she lives in, but here in So Cal we have a Six Flags park in Valencia and it is very popular with the "unsavory" types, i.e. gangbangers - i won't go there for that reason, but i don't wonder if all Six Flags have adopted stricter security measures b/c of the things that have happened at ours - there have been very serious fights and attacks - it's not a fun place for me

mulene
04-24-2007, 09:33 AM

Actually thats not quite true. I was going to France in January and I tried and tried to get through to British Airways. I had no luck for two weeks before the flight so I contacted BAA - the British Airports Authority (TSA Equivalent) and their email response was that its perfectly fine to take non metal needles into a cabin of a plane, however individual airlines have individual rules and to check with your airline first.

British Airways do not allow ANY kind of knitting needles on a flight (or crochet apparently). Supposedly it annoys other passengers /shrug.

Anyway, BA didn't ever respond to phone calls, emails or even my hand written letter.

The one hand baggage bag issue is again certain airlines. British Airways now only allow ONE piece of hand baggage (that includes a handbag/purse) you can bring ONE piece of hand baggage and a small laptop into the cabin but thats it. You now are only allowed one piece of checked in luggage too which has to be below a certain weight. If you bring more than one bag (you can if you like) they will charge you excess baggage on it.

If you are checked through and connecting at Heathrow they should not switch your hand baggage allowance because its not fair to attempt to get an in transit passenger to go out, re-check in, and send bags to be checked.

That is ridiculous IMHO. Coming back from Ireland I walked through with a huge bottle of water in my bag without being stopped or having it confiscated. At Heathrow, they made me ditch all liquids that were over 100ml - I forgot to put my perfume (chanel no 5 small EDT) into a plastic bag they tried to take it off me.

After a rather large argument they let me keep it. I gave them my eyedrops instead :teehee:

There needs to be ONE overall set of rules for every single airport. I don't see why some are different to others - seems daft to me! Wooden or bamboo needles should be allowed on. Other passengers letting off wind annoys me, people kicking the back of my chair annoys me, if knitting annoys others then so be it - suck it up I say! :teehee:

Susan P.
04-24-2007, 11:00 AM
In Australia now you have to have all cosmetics and hair products and so on in plastic clear bags and you cannot take over a certain size. There are quite a few rules.

I think part of the knitting issue is the noise some knitters make with metal needles. Haven't some of you noticed that? That some people knit with barely a sound and some clack away like mad? If you're on a long flight trying to sleep it could be annoying I guess. But I've been driven mad by someone constantly coughing! Give that guy a throat lozenge! :doh:

Silver
04-24-2007, 11:18 AM
Re Knitting needles on airplanes. On one hand people complained after 911 that this sort of thing should have been prevented in the first place. Now they are preventing (or at least taking steps to avoid) tragedies in the air and people complain that their rights are taken away. :shrug: Airlines don't take our rights away. Terrorists do.

However, knitting needles are not dangerous. While someone could feasibly puncture a carotid artery with a knitting needle (or a pen, pencil, or any other pointed object) and kill someone, who in the hell would take a hijacker seriously if he held up a person at "knitting needle-point". :teehee:

Re knitting needles at a theme park? I live in FL and have been to theme parks more times that I can count including over 20 times in one year. Taking away your needles is utterly asinine. People carry cameras on roller coasters and I don't know about you, I'd be much more worried about getting smacked in the head with a flying camcorder than a knitting needle.

zkimom
04-24-2007, 12:30 PM
The one hand baggage bag issue is again certain airlines. British Airways now only allow ONE piece of hand baggage (that includes a handbag/purse) you can bring ONE piece of hand baggage and a small laptop into the cabin but thats it. You now are only allowed one piece of checked in luggage too which has to be below a certain weight. If you bring more than one bag (you can if you like) they will charge you excess baggage on it.

If you are checked through and connecting at Heathrow they should not switch your hand baggage allowance because its not fair to attempt to get an in transit passenger to go out, re-check in, and send bags to be checked.

I got stuck at Heathrow for that very reason :!!!: We had travelled from NY to Paris and then Paris to London with 2 carry on bags and with just a short time to spare between flights, missed our connection trying to sort out how to handle the "one carry on bag" rule in England. We ended up spending the night at a hotel before having to make another flight the next day because there wasn't the time to go through customs, check our second bags and then get to the terminal for our connecting flight. It's not just BA -- it's any flight out of England. You would think someone would have mentioned the new regulations to us when we first left Paris.

Aaargh! :doh: