PDA

View Full Version : purling "simpleway"

Jolita
04-23-2007, 07:29 AM
Dear Friends,

First of all – sorry for my English.
Could You please explain me one thing. All my life long I am purling “simple way” (as Elizabeth Zimmermann said in her “Knitting Workshop”). That means that I am knitting in the back of the loop (just my back of the loop is different from Elizabeth’s Zimmermann’s). My Stockinet Stitch is as beautiful as if I would do it in “difficult way”. Elizabeth Zimmermann said that if you are purling “the simple way” later you will get in to big problems. Could You please explain me what kind of problems? It’s very difficult to re-learn knitting especially without knowing the reason.

Jolita

HamaLee
04-23-2007, 09:17 AM
I'm not sure what EZ means by "simple way" or "difficult way"--but I'm guessing "simple way" probably means combined-purling. Amy has a video of it on this site if you want to take a look. I purl that way when I'm doing stockinette and, like you, my stockinette is so even and nice.

The only reason it'll get you into "trouble" is if you are doing other stitch patterns. Because of the way you purl the stitch, it is "twisted" and sitting on the needle in the opposite direction it normally would. So on the knit side--I knit through the back loop and all is good. If I'm doing lace or cables, etc, I'll either purl "difficult way" or I'll just untwist the stitch as I approach it.

Good luck and welcome to KH!
(BTW--your English is wonderful :cheering: )

Jolita
04-23-2007, 09:45 AM
Oh yes, it's combined purling. Thank You very much for Your explanations.

Sanibelle
04-23-2007, 10:21 AM
Jolita -

I have been knitting for years (over 40) and that is how I learned to knit and for the most part I still knit that way. The only time I adjust is if I am knitting in the round. If I knit through the back loop my stitches are twisted, but if I am just doing the st st then I knit combined.

Lynn

KnittingNat
04-23-2007, 11:28 AM
first of all, welcome!!!

I've learned to knit from my Grandma and it was in Russia and i also knit through back loop and then purl "simple way" or "combined". But when i do patterns with other styles and not just stockinette, i do in the more difficult way - i knit through the front and purl the continental way so i don't mess up :hug:

A funny story to add about ways of knitting - not long ago i actually opened my first western knitting magazine (all i worked with before were russian books, old and awful) and it was English "Simply knitting" and there i saw the English method of knitting. And here i decided that i'm probably he only person on earth to knit with yarn on left hand :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: !

Only on this site i learned that there are continental and english ways and a lot of different ways to do the stitches :)

BTW, i've to Lithuania (Palanga) and it's beautiful :)

KnittingNat
04-23-2007, 11:30 AM
* I've been to Lithuania..
I type too fast and get excited :teehee:

Jolita
04-23-2007, 01:06 PM
Thank you very much for your help and advises. I was sure it should be some reason to do the purling in such a difficult manner. Of course in the future I will use both methods. Then I started to buy knitting books in English and German I noticed that it was difficult to follow the instructions because my loop was sitting differently then it was presented in the picture and then was very difficult to knit it as shown. When I found the abbreviation k tbl (knit in to the back of the loop) I understood that is something wrong with my loops because I knit always in to the back of the loop. I never before looked into pages with backgrounds (I was knitting already about 15 years). Then I looked at it and later saw the video in this wonderful page I knew I was doing something wrong all these 15 years 

I never saw anybody in Lithuania knitting continental style, just combined, but to be honest how often do we see people by knitting? 

It’s very nice to “meet” nice and ready to help people here. It is very nice that somebody even knows there my small country is.

cookworm
04-23-2007, 06:02 PM
It is very nice that somebody even knows there my small country is.

Hi Jolita--I know where your country is--I'm part Lithuanian! :cheering: Welcome to the group!