PDA

View Full Version : Bonjour!

french kiwi
04-23-2007, 07:34 AM
Hello, bonjour, kia ora,

I'm a new zealander living in paris (thus the name), I live with my french partner who has resigned himself to living surrounded in yarn (good man), and our lovely cat who is totally blasé about all the threads lying around now

I know you've heard this a lot Amy, but your videos really ARE great
Being an engish knitter, it's a total mystery to me when i watch you knit so fast the continental way

As you all, i'm crazy about knitting!
so crazy in fact i've decided to give up my regular job as a pattern cutter to make knitting patterns instead
it was quite hard at first, but it soon became so much fun, i thought "why not do something with all this"
I'm working on it right now, will keep you posted...

I'm already a member of a french knitting forum, but i've been looking (or lurking...) around for a friendly, cosy english speaking one for a while
And it seems i've found it

ok then, shall get back to my hat knitted in yummy rowan kid classic, let's hope it won't be too itchy

FK

auburnchick
04-23-2007, 08:29 AM
Welcome!!! :cheering:

bobi1218
04-23-2007, 08:42 AM
Welcome!! I've only been here a few months, but its a great, friendly place full of nice, helpful people :)

I'm very jealous of your career change - be sure to keep us posted and let us know how its going!

Nikita-amimono
04-23-2007, 09:24 AM
Welcome, french kiwi !! :cheering:

I'm going to visit Hyeres and Toulon this weekend and
I was wondering how is Phildar shop there in France.

Their site looks really wonderful, but I'm kind of afraid of
venturing out to the shop in France since my French is
very limited.

Ciao,

Niki :waving:

Mariblue
04-23-2007, 10:42 AM
Welcome to knitting help!

VictoiseC
04-23-2007, 11:08 AM
Bonjour aussi Kiwi! How I envy you to be in Paris this time of the year. Although I liked it all the other seasons also! I used to visit a lot... my friends worked in a bookstore in the Marais and I stayed in a lot of different places with wonderful people. My favorite is the markets, walking along the street and buying beautiful food every day. alors! Well you are a New Zealander not french but I'm sure you are enjoying it. Is there a big French knitting group, I mean do you think knitting is as big in Paris as it is here in the US? Ok, tout pour maitenant, Victoise in NYC

HamburgKnitter
04-23-2007, 12:09 PM
Bonjour and Guten Tag! :waving: Nice to see somebody in my time zone! :teehee: I'm also a non-european living in Europe.

Your new job sounds great, I look forward to hearing about it!!

dustinac
04-23-2007, 01:36 PM
:cheering: Welcome to the forum :happydance:

Jan in CA
04-23-2007, 01:46 PM
Welcome to KH!! :cheering:

Chel
04-23-2007, 01:51 PM
:waving: Hi! Welcome!

iza
04-23-2007, 01:57 PM
Bonjour! I am a "francophone" who knits the "English" way and prefer to follow patterns in English. Oh and my boyfriend is a native English speaker. Maybe we should trade place? :teehee:

Are you participating in the forum at tricotin.com? I go there sometimes to check what's going on. :cheering: But I must admit I prefer it here, probably because I feel a lot more comfortable with the English vocabulary. :shrug: I know, I'm weird. :teehee:

Anyways, welcome to KH! :happydance:

VictoiseC
04-23-2007, 02:11 PM
Hi Iza! Wow! What a cool site, that Tricotin! Thanks!

Look at these summer tops, they're tres tres belle and different too.

http://tricotin.com/modele_tops.htm

jjminarcik
04-23-2007, 02:16 PM
:waving: Welcome to the forum!

BostonBecca
04-23-2007, 02:28 PM
Je suis une francophile....

It's been a long time since I spent a semester in Paris (ok, only 5 years or so) but I wish I had this article when I did: http://www.cnn.com/2007/TRAVEL/DESTINATIONS/04/20/paris.bakeries/index.html

french kiwi
04-23-2007, 03:17 PM
Wow,

you guys are great, thank you so much for all these warm messages!
Ok, to answer some questions:
Nikita, the phildar shops here are ok i guess
it's not my favoutire yarn, the quality isn't so good, but it's perfect for beginners (or if you have a small budget)
I'm sure you'll be fine with your limited french, the shops are very well organised, you don't have to talk to the sales people...
if you have a chance to come across some "any blatt" or "bouton d'or" yarn, it's much better quality and not that much more expensive.
Anyway, have fun in France!

Mariblue, there is a rather big knitting community here in France
I only went once to a knitting café session, about a year ago, but it was in a big smoky café with unconfortable chairs and dim light
and seeing i'm rather shy, the thought of having to shout to make myself heard, made me never go back
but i always visit the forum, i'm quite the lurker..

Iza, no i'm not on tricotin, i'm on the yahoo forum

Voilà!
FK

zkimom
04-23-2007, 07:33 PM
Bonjour et bienvenue, FK!

I was just in Paris for the first time a couple of weeks ago and had such a wonderful time! Everything was perfect, the weather, the food, the wine!

In the midst of all my sightseeing, I managed to make it to a couple of knitting stores -- Boutique Pelotte on rue des Francs-Bourgeois and La Droguerie on rue du Jour. I thought there was a Phildar section at La Bon Marche but I wandered around and around and got distracted by everything else there was to see and so I never found it. Finally, I was so tired from all the browsing that I just left! I know I could have asked someone but my French is tres mal and I was too tired to think of the right words.

In my next life, I want an apartment on the Isle St. Louis overlooking the Seine. And a cute little dog I can take to cafes where I will drink my coffee in the morning and my wine in the afternoon. For right now, I just hope I can make it back to Paris again sometime soon.

Happy knitting!

Susan

madametj
04-23-2007, 08:34 PM
Salut french kiwi, and beinvenue to KH :waving: (as u'll learn, je parle franglais much more souvent than I speak french :teehee: )

DreamWeaver
04-24-2007, 01:26 PM
Hey, Kiwi!!! Welcome to the fourms, you're gonna love it here :hug:

nadja la claire
04-24-2007, 04:46 PM
BONJOUR et Bienvenue!!!! Comment c'est va? :waving:

:muah: :hug:

Nadja xxx