PDA

View Full Version : Making own design for baby blanket

cookworm
04-23-2007, 06:07 PM
For those that have knit a baby blanket using their own design, I need some help. First of all, I've waited until the eleventh hour to start this blanket, and I need it done quickly :doh: I bought some worsted weight yarn, and I think I know what kind of design I want to do (could I be any more disorganized with this project???), so here's my questions:

(1) Have you double-stranded or single-stranded your blanket? If you double-stranded, was a too bulky?

(2) What size needle did you use to give the blanket a nice drape? I think my yarn calls for a size 8 (5.0mm) needle.

Thanks!

snowbear
04-23-2007, 08:23 PM
I had to do one in a hurry.. I used ww... I started off w/ 3 stitches.. did an increase each row. w/ a yo.... tillhalf way.. then did a decrease, still w/ yo

Finished in 12 hr. 4 min.... (w/ breaks for potty & food) Iused 4 skiens...

Size 8 needles

suzeeq
04-24-2007, 12:23 AM
If you use double worsted, use a larger needle like a US 11/8mm or 13/9mm, or it may be too stiff. Less stitches too, so it takes less time.

sue

Yarnlady
04-24-2007, 08:34 AM
When I double strand I like the blanket to be a bit stiffer. It's not designed to be a wrap the baby in blanket but more of a lay the baby on blanket. I always put my babies on the floor and liked a thicker cushier blanket to lay them on.

Sanibelle
04-24-2007, 08:52 AM
Here is a link to a Knitty Gritty episode that explains how to figure out what needle size you should use when you are using more than one yarn held together. I actually saw the episode and got a lot of information from it. Hope this helps!

http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/na_knitting/article/0,2025,DIY_14141_3573121,00.html

Lynn

cookworm
04-24-2007, 11:23 AM
Thanks, everybody! Lynn, this is GREAT information to keep on hand, and it makes sense--thank you for sharing this!!!