PDA

View Full Version : Can someone with a copy of Debbie Bliss's Simply Baby help??

tunibell
04-24-2007, 01:05 AM
I've been working on the Smock Coat pattern from this book, which I found free online here: http://www.candis.co.uk/pm/65

But I'm wondering if my copy of the pattern is correct. Both the back and left panels of the coat started with 3.25mm needles, changed to 3.75mm needles, and returned to 3.25mm needles. According to my instructions, though, the right panel starts with 3.25mm needles, changed to 3.75mm needles, but never changes back.

I was hoping someone with a copy of the actual book could kindly confirm this for me?? It seems strange that one panel would be in a larger gauge than the other. TIA!!!

BinkyKat
04-24-2007, 10:04 PM
I have it...hold on a sec

ETA:
Looks like the pattern in the book does not mention switching back on the right panel nor on working of the sleeves. :??
I went to www.debbieblissonline.com to see if there were any "errata" regarding it and there isn't. Perhaps an email to the site asking this question would work for you? I wonder if one of our KH guru's could weigh in on any logic for one side or sleeves not going from one size to another and back again? :shrug: Anyone?

five_six
04-24-2007, 10:06 PM
Oohh, I really like that jacket, how cute, thanks for posting. I'm eagerly awaiting the response about the needles, so I can add yet another WIP to my already huge list :teehee:

BinkyKat
04-25-2007, 07:56 PM
Bump....
Anybody have any ideas on the logic of possibly not switching back from one size needle when doing one side of a jacket? :shrug:
(see my eta post)

five_six
04-26-2007, 08:29 AM
I've started working on this jacket, and I've had a really good read through the pattern ( :?? a few times), and the needle changes occurs 5 cm below the start of the armhole shaping... so the whole top half of the back and left front are knitted with smaller needles. Now, my thinking would lead to believe that that is quite a bit to do with a different size needle and will definately impact on the guage. I've been wondering if I could just somehow, slot in the needle change on the right front somewhere, but they have additional instructions for the ribbon slot and the buttonholes. All it says is to work buttonholes to match the button markers placed on the left front panel, then continue working until it reaches the same length as the other panels before the armhole shaping starts. Now... even if I work these as is on the needles they recommend, then, sure, the buttoholes will line up, it will be the same length, but I don't think I'll be happy that the moss stitch pattern will not line up with itself :wall: :doh:

Too much thinking about this too late at night, it's doing my head in! I noticed Eloewien answered a question about this jacket a week or so ago in this (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewtopic.php?t=28752&highlight=&sid=67dcee70899256171e6d17f34225ddfb)forum topic you started.... Eloewien!! Where are you!!

I'm going to go to the library in the next few days (or my local bookstore) just so i can look at the original pattern in the book, but even if it's verbatum, I don't think I will be happy. This may need some tweaking.

Edited: I just have Ingrid's sig ringing in my head as I think about all this 'adjusting' that I might have to do though... Trust the pattern!! Oh what a conundrum!