PDA

View Full Version : 1st Sweater KAL

Pages : [1] 2

BostonBecca
04-24-2007, 01:19 PM
We have been talking about this in the Stashbusting thread and so I decided to start it.

I'll be doing tempting from Knitty with some modifications for the sleeve length to make it more wearable and might be doing another one at the same time.

You don't have to do Tempting, you can pick another sweater, but this is for us first timers and ArtLady1981 has generously offered to assist with her input and advice at times.

Hopefully, we can all help each other out as well.

SharonB13
04-24-2007, 04:44 PM
I just finished my first sweater a couple of weeks ago. Otherwise, I'd be right here with you.

Good luck! It was a challenge, but well worth it.

nadja la claire
04-24-2007, 05:16 PM
I've never done a KAL, so I know this is a dumb question but.....How does one work? I would like to finish my sweater.

:muah: :hug:

Nadja xxx

nadja la claire
04-24-2007, 05:29 PM
:doh: Never mind my last post. I should known to look for KAL guidelines :doh:

Nadja xxx

BostonBecca
04-24-2007, 05:42 PM
Nadja: I think this KAL is a little different than most, because we aren't doing the same project necessarily. I think it is more just to provide support for those of us that don't necessarily have a support group of knitters to guide us through this step up in projects.

ArtLady1981
04-26-2007, 03:51 AM
Hey there Stash Sisters!!!!

I measured my daughter this evening. (TEMPTING is for her) She came over for dinner, wine and conversation! Her hubby's turn to watch the girls...and she gets to go out and live a little. She shopped a while...and then stopped by to see momma! :happydance:

I have cast on the 160 stitches for TEMPTING. I am using two strands of yarn: Rowan "Calmer" cotton blend, and Lara Endless Summer cotton.
Both yarns by themselves were too thin or skinny... but together using a US8 needle gave me the perfect gauge of 18st=4" in st. st. And it looks good, too. Not packed too tightly. Calmer is kinda suede-like with a little stretchiness to it...and Endless Summer is a fine polished combed cotton. They are both cream color...but, you can see them both because of the suede finish vs the polished finish. I think I like my yarn choice!
AND IT IS ALL FROM MY STASH!!!! :cheering:

She just left for home, so I am going out there now to do a few rows. Will take a digital of any significant progress. It is going to be boring for a while...K2 P2 rib...around and around and around and around...in the round!

She wants me to leave the sleeve caps the length of the model.

BTW: I don't know if I need to say this or not, but I will...since this may be a first sweater for some: DO A GAUGE SWATCH with your yarn(s) of choice. For my swatch I personally cast on two extra stitches...so that my measurement is taken between the two "edge stitches". Edge stitches are the stitches at each end...and they ARE ALWAYS KNIT...right side and wrong side. So then, for our gauge swatch...cast on 20 stitches...knit 20 across row 1...but for row 2: k1...purl 18...k1. Repeat rows 1 & 2 til your swatch is 2 inches or so in length. "Row gauge" is not critical for this pattern. BUT...stitch gauge IS VITAL to get the correct "fit"...or your garment will be too tight, too small...or too big, too baggy. And, you may run out of yarn!

If anyone has any questions about the swatch thing...let me know! :muah:

BostonBecca
04-26-2007, 08:31 AM
Wow, thank you so much for taking us through the first step: the guage swatch. I might make mine during break time from studying.

Mulderknitter
04-26-2007, 08:42 AM
I also appreciate the gauge swatch instructions. I'm not on to the sweater yet, but it will be very helpful when I am.
until then I will just be a lurker here until I have time to join in!
good luck to alll of you@ :hug:

ArtLady1981
04-26-2007, 08:52 PM
Think we should post a link for TEMPTING (http://knitty.com/ISSUEwinter04/PATTtempting.html)?

And a photo? Well, there they be! :teehee:

My TEMPTING is at about 1.5". It is slow-going...two strands slow up the process. I lilke to untangle/un-kink every so often...don't like the feel of kinks and twists in my hands...it may all knit the same, with the same outcome...I just don't like to knit the twisted up yarn. :pout:

ArtLady1981
04-26-2007, 08:55 PM
PS: to newbie knitters: do you know what the directions mean when it says: cast on 160 stitches, join (being careful not to twist the stitches), and work the k2p2 rib for 13"??

If anyone has any doubts about the words: "join, being careful not to twist the stitches"...let me know and we will talk about it.

There may be a video clip here at KH about circular knitting. Check that out, too. Starting that first row...the 'join'...is tricky for newbies.

heykaren
04-27-2007, 08:08 AM
Well, I cast on for my "tempting" ( Im doing this sweater instead http://www.garnstudio.com/lang/en/visoppskrift.php?d_nr=81&d_id=1&lang=us ) and I got about 3-4 rows into it when I realized that I had it twisted!!!!!

:gah:

OK, Im back on track now ( I think... :pray: ) Live and learn, right?

Karen

bobi1218
04-27-2007, 08:28 AM
I have some questions, if you don't mind...

1. What yarn are you all using? I'm guessing a plain cotton won't be stretchy enough...

2. This is supposed to be tight-fitting, right? So if my chest measures 38", I should make the 36" size, not the 40", right? Negative ease and all that?

3. Length - is the length measured from the bottom of the sweater to the neckline? I have a pretty long torso, and shirts are always too short on me, so I'd like to make it longer, but I want to make sure I'm measuring right.

It will be a couple of weeks before I'm able to cast on for this, I have to finish my DD's sweater before her birthday (it matches her birthday dress, so I'd like for her to be able to wear it), and I really need to make more progress on my ISE4 scarf, so I can mail that in May as well. But the next project on my list was a summer sweater for me, so I may do Tempting, depending on how this KAL goes.

BostonBecca
04-27-2007, 11:04 AM
I am using the yarn called for. It's so soft and I found the most beautiful purple color at my Boston LYS, Windsor Button.

I think the measurement is from bottom to neckline, there are also measurements to where you separate the sleeve caps if I remember correctly, so you would probably want to add inches to that measurement for knitting alteration purposes. This is in ribbing which is super stretchy so I am making the 36 even though my bust is slightly larger than a 36, more like a 36.5 around.

mare-nitt
04-27-2007, 04:26 PM
You guys are so brave. I would still be stuck on what yarn do I use! :??

They should all look great. I will just wait for the beginner, easy sweater to come along. Someone else has to be at my level too.

Hey Karen, your pattern looks great too.

Marilynn

ArtLady1981
04-27-2007, 07:26 PM
Hey Karen! I was going to knit the same one...but backed out becuase the pattern seemed to be amibuous...or outright has errors. Anyway, i didn't feel like wrapping my mind around trying to figure out the errors or ambiguities...so I switched back to the TEMPTING. You know...you don't have to include the eyelet holes for the ribbon. You can ignore those directions and just keep knitting the rib plain.

Hi Bobi! My TEMPTING is for my daughter whose bust measures 37.5" at the fullest part. We elected to knit the 36". Otherwise, the sweater might be sloppy looking. And, the rib will stretch. The garment is supposed to have a fitted look. As for length...the pattern says for a size M...to knit the rib til it is 13" (I tnink)...then you begin the yoke and sleeves part. For you, having a longer torso...when you get to the "prescribed" length before starting the sleeves, etc...try to step into the garment and hold it up to just under your armpits...and see where the bottom edge hits you. If you want it longer...just keep knittin! This will take more yarn...so be aware of that.

Conversely...a woman who would want it to have a cropped appearance, just touching the top of your jeans or skirt...you can certainly stop your length before the required length! My daughter is only 5'2"...the model wearing the sweater is probably 5'5"...or taller...so...I may shorten my daughters sweater. I will just have to wait and see when I get there!

Yarn? I think I said earlier...I am using two strands of yarn held together, knit as one. I am using Rowan "Calmer" with Lara "Endless Summer". Calmer is a cotton blend, and Endless Summer is 100% fine combed cotton. Separately they are too skinny to be used alone. Together, they knit at the gauge required: 18 st = 4" in stocking stitch.

So when you are shopping for your yarn...first ask the clerk to steer you towards yarns that are your necessary GAUGE (18st=4") From there, you can pick and choose what blends (wool, cotton, silk, etc) and what color! FIRST RULE: choose yarns that are the right GAUGE.

I am using two yarns held together because I had them in my stash...and they happened to be the same color (cream)...and both were summery yarns (cottons)! It was a WIN-WIN! I am trying to use Stash every other project! In a perfect world...all my projects would use Stash til my Stash is Phffffft...Gone!!! But, as we yarn addicts know...that just ain't happenin'!!

lissalue
04-27-2007, 07:43 PM
I am joining. I don't know what sweater yet, I want to make it for my mom for mother's day (i am aware it may be late). so, i need to find out her measurements and then decide on the pattern that is just right for her. it is very nice to have a place where i can ask questions, and be with other sweater newbies. thank you art lady for doing this for us!!

ArtLady1981
04-27-2007, 08:17 PM
You're welcome, Lissalue! Happy to be of help! Welcome!
:hug:
Send us a link to the pattern you are thinkin' about when you find it!

loquacious
04-27-2007, 08:25 PM
I have a pattern and the yarn and I've swatched it! I'd like to join in. Im making a simple kids sweater for my daughter. Um.. I also have the yarn for my sons sweater as well so I will try to tak esome pics but that in itself will be learning curve! im using a so simple kids sweater pattern I can find a link later...
heather

ArtLady1981
04-27-2007, 08:59 PM
Hi Heather! Welcome! Yes, please send a link to your pattern. This will help us help YOU! :hug:

lissalue
04-27-2007, 10:35 PM
does it still count as a sweater if it has no sleeves? :shrug: :teehee:

ArtLady1981
04-27-2007, 10:45 PM
Yes, and I might add...sleeveless is a good "first"! You can move on to sleeves later! :happydance:

kellyh57
04-27-2007, 10:46 PM
I bought a Pure & Simple pattern to start, but I can try one online. I didn't even think about needing help and someone to look at it for me. I'm going to stick with a winter sweater. If I do a summer one, I'll outgrow it before it's done! I'll most likely have to buy yarn too. I don't want to attempt stripes or anything complicated and I don't think I have enough of any one yarn to do a whole sweater.

Kelly

lissalue
04-27-2007, 11:08 PM
WOOHOO!!!! :cheering: here it is, knitty's W-Top (http://knitty.com/ISSUEspring05/PATTw.html)

i will be doing it in size small, with a yarn to be determined as i swatch tonight. i cannot stash bust for it though, i will have to purchase yarn. oh how sad. :teehee:

lissalue
04-27-2007, 11:13 PM
:oops: double post

ArtLady1981
04-27-2007, 11:34 PM
Lissalue: Do you understand the terminology of your pattern? Is this your first garment? It looks easy, but it is not simple. Do you know what "w&t" means? I saw this instruction in your pattern. It means "wrap and turn". This is short row knitting. To learn how to do the technique...go to Amy's video clip. It can be found under ADVANCED TECHNIQUES...and scroll down to "short row with wrap". You will need to see how it is done.

Depending how comfortable you feel about new techniques...think about an alternate pattern. Perhaps a tank top that is knit from the bottom up with no unusual or advanced techniques. You may well be able to do this pattern in your link, so don't let me scare you off...but, that said, I would not 'recommend' this pattern to any new knitter. But, as I said...it is completely do-able...and if you feel confident with new and uncharted territory...KNIT ON! I will help you as much as possible. :hug:

lissalue
04-28-2007, 11:33 AM
Thanks for your concern ArtLady :hug: . I have done W&T on several occassions, for both socks and the FT felted clogs. I really like doing short rows, I think they are fun :teehee: I read through the whole pattern and i think i can handle everything. I am also finding that I like a challenge in my knitting. I will let you know if I have any qustions though.

BostonBecca
04-28-2007, 11:37 AM
I am so glad we are all doing this. I managed a swatch the other night for Tempting while my BF and I were taking a study break to watch Lost. My Options in size 8 are busy with another project and so are the 7s. I therefore tried a size 9 and the guage was off. I am going to have to finish the project with the 7s and 8s and then swatch again before I can really begin.

ArtLady1981
04-28-2007, 10:42 PM
Hi Becca! Just think...if you were using KnitPicks OPTIONS...you could unscrew your 7 or 8 tips...screw on the protector endcaps (to hold your work on the cable)...screw the 7 or 8 tips onto another cable...do your swatch...and then put your 7 or 8 tips back on your work in progress! I just love OPTIONS! No, I am a not a sales rep for them! :teehee:

My TEMPTING is about 8 inches now. As I said...it is slooooow going.
But, it looks good. My goal is to have it done by end of June...so I am not in a bind to finish!

I am working on another project at the same time. They are both equally boring knitting. But, the garments will be wonderful! Sometimes the simplest patterns are the best looking when worn!

BostonBecca
04-29-2007, 10:30 AM
I am using Options. I never thought about doing that though. Maybe I will do so, that way I could work on more projects with the same needle tips. Hmmmmm.

heykaren
04-30-2007, 09:06 AM
Uh-oh ArtLady, maybe you should tell me where the pattern is ambiguous - then Ill know where I should panic!!!!!! :doh:

Im about 6 inches into mine - I figured youd be done by now! :teehee:

So far, so good - despite a few temporary setbacks - but Im hoping Ive picked the right size... if I decide to make mine longer, do I have to add more increases, or just continue after the last increase? (does that make sense?)

Karen

BostonBecca
04-30-2007, 09:39 AM
I would not add any more increases. It will mkae the sweater larger around, but longer. Just add more length. You can, however, space out your increases over the increased number of rows so it is more gradual with your sweater. Or you can just add length and then do the standard increases. it's a matter of what would work best in this sweater.

ArtLady1981
04-30-2007, 12:52 PM
Hey Karen! The pattern is knit 'in the round'....right? If that is so...why do the instructions say "Row 1: k2-p4 rib and row 2: p2-k4"?? 'Knit in the round' always has the right side row 1 facing...so why the row 2 instructions? Well then I thought, maybe this pattern is flip-switched...that it isn't just a 4x2 rib...maybe it is 'tweaked'! But, the photo doesn't show the detail good enough...so about that time, I got tired of thinkin' about it...and moved on to start the other sweater, TEMPTING.

Let me ask you: how are you knitting your sweater? Are you knitting in the round...and are you actually doing those TWO different rows alternately? If so, what does it look like? Can you take a digital photo of it and post it here on our knitalong?

That was the only amibiguity that I saw...and since I had another choice...I just moved to a pattern that didn't mystify me!

Hi Becca, No I am not anywhere close to done. Just have about the 8" done. I have a higher priority cardigan going at the same time. I need it for a June event I am attending...and besides that, there is a white cotton cardigan next in line, for that same air-conditioned :pout: event in June. So, I am under pressure to finish those as well. The TEMPTING is for my daughter. She needs hers the week after me.

I have a week's vacation in both May and June...on a mountain top here is Washington State. We have 20 acres on this mountain. Our 20 acres is Nighthawk Summit. Anyhoo...I am a knittin' fool when me and the DH and the dogs are up there! Nothin' but sky, wind, sun, birds, flowers, trees, squirrels, chipmunks, cougars, bears, coyotes, deer, moose, and quiet. DH is building a log house...yup, actually cutting down big trees and all that! Our camp is on the highest point, whereas he is building in a lower area in "the meadow" we call it...so I can't hear the noisy stuff!

That said, I will get a lot of knitting done on vacation! We go to Nighthawk Summit for one full week in May, June, July, August, and October. KNIT KNIT KNIT. DH doesn't care! He just likes the fact that I cook for him and keep him warm at night! :teehee: A lot of women would not go to a remote area like this. No electricity, no running water, no nothin except sky, wind, sun, birds, flowers, trees, squirrels, chipmunks, cougars, bears, coyotes, deer, moose, and quiet! Him and a buddy did manage to get a 27' travel trailer up there for me two years ago and built a snow roof over it...so I am comfortable! :happydance: There is 4-6 feet of snow there in winter. We live 6 hours away from the mountaintop located in Northeastern Washington. We live in the Puget Sound/Greater Seattle area. Right now, Nighthawk Summit will be beautifully green and decked with thousands of meadow flowers! We leave May 20th! Back on the 28th. Will not be able to post here at KH for one full week. We have cellphones up there...but...no internet access. :verysad:

heykaren
04-30-2007, 01:38 PM
ArtLady, I had been wondering about the same thing and posted a question on "How to" and got 2 responses. One said that perhaps it had been a pattern converted from two sides into the round, and the other suggested that you need the "row1 and row 2" for further up when you temporarily divide and do the front and then the back. Made sense to me.

Im doing it in the round and so far, so good ( I think ). Will try to get a pic and post it later.

Karen

ArtLady1981
04-30-2007, 03:49 PM
Hey Karen! That makes sense. Then, you are doing a wider rib...K4 P2 for the Right Side? That must look wonderful. My sweater, the TEMPTING is a K2 P2 rib...really not as attractive as the wider rib you are doing...but 2x2 rib will be stretchier. (2x2 rib sucks together more...like an accordian)

Thanks for the enlightenment! Post photos of your work in progress. I will do the same later on. I think 8" is camera-worthy, don't you? :teehee:

heykaren
04-30-2007, 03:50 PM
Heres the pic!

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n219/heykaren/Projects/KALtempting.jpg

Reading about your vacation makes me want to break out into a round of "oh give me a home...." Bring lots of stash with you.... :teehee:

Karen

heykaren
04-30-2007, 03:52 PM
Oops, is it supposed to be K4 P2?

Oh well, poetic license - Im NOT froggin it again....

And Ive already passed my second increase. So would you all suggest that if I think it will need to be a bit longer, I should increase slightly the space between the next increases?

Karen

ArtLady1981
04-30-2007, 04:01 PM
Hey Karen! Ya' know...I don't know! Hmmm. The pattern photo is so bad...you just can't tell! Well, you are right...Row 1 says P4 K2...so I think your work is correct. Actually, it looks FABULOUS! AND...I LOVE THE COLOR! Wow! I just love greens...and the tweed effect looks great on the field of reverse st st in the P4 groove! Good for you! No....don't frog it whatever you do! It looks just fine!

I am working on making Hostess Packets for my Art Business right now...and have to keep at it...but later, I will post a photo of my progress.

:heart: Thanks for sharing! :heart:

PS: If I haven't finished them by vacation...I am taking those two cardigans for that June event I am attending...but...I also have a great Stash Project I started, but then made myself save it for vacation. It is an afghan for my little granddaughter. Eight different skeins of Red Heart...some are solids, some are variegated...ALL VERY BRIGHT! The squares are 7"x7"...and are in a book I have called 100 Knitted Afghan Blocks. (I making the afghan 7 squares wide and 9 squares long.) Following the book will take the misery out of the block building and design! I did two blocks and made myself stop! They are fun, quick little things to do! Laila won't use it til October anyway...so I have all summer vacation weeks to work on it! :cheering:

mare-nitt
04-30-2007, 08:18 PM
HeyKaren,
Just saw your pics, you are doing real good at this knitting. I love the sweater (orange one). :heart:
I still am not brave enough to do a sweater on my own.

But it sure looks like quilting might have taken a back seat to knitting, but you know a change of pace might be what you need.

I have knitted more in the last two months then I have quilted. But I do enjoy the yarn thing.

Can't wait to see more pics.

Marilynn

ArtLady1981
04-30-2007, 10:26 PM
I finally got photos done...of my few 8" of work on TEMPTING.
ALL STASH YARN!!!

lissalue
04-30-2007, 10:29 PM
my sweater is going well. i had to frog twice cause i didn't like how it was looking, but now i am chugging right along. i will post pics tomorrow when i get a little more done.

heykaren
05-01-2007, 05:12 PM
Wow ArtLady - its amazing how the two yarns are the same color!!! I like mixing textures as well, adds some more interest! The yarns Im using are an Egyptian cotton ( white ) and a cotton/acrylic blend ( green ). Will have to pick up more yarn to finish tomorrow.

Lissalue - Im looking forward to seeing your pix!

Hey Mare- jump out of the box - try a sweater! Check the Berrocco site - they have lots of easy patterns ( well theyre classified as easy ) and lots of different styles. I know what you mean about the "temporary" switch from quilting to knitting. My husband just laughed one day "what, so no more quilting?"

BostonBecca
05-01-2007, 05:16 PM
I can swatch again and cast on tomorrow! Yay!

ArtLady1981
05-01-2007, 06:21 PM
Hey there Marilyn (mare-nitt)! IF you should decide to expand your horizons...and knit a sweater...here are my suggestions when you are shopping for a pattern!
1) do a pullover
2) look for a "drop shoulder" style pullover
3) look for patterning that is not beyond your comfort zone
4) do not look for 2-color, 3-color, etc. sweaters ONE COLOR ONLY

That is my 2 cents worth for a newbie garment knitter. If I were to teach a class called FIRST SWEATER 101...1-4

ArtLady1981
05-01-2007, 06:53 PM
Hey there mare-nitt! IF you should decide to expand your horizons, and knit a sweater, here is my advice when you are selecting a pattern that will go well, and not unduly tax your skill level!

FOUR GUIDELINES for a FIRST SWEATER
1) shop for a "pullover"
2) shop for a pullover with a "drop shoulder"
3) shop for a pullover that is ONE COLOR throughout
4) shop for a pullover that is simple patterning (st st / seed st / rev st st, etc) and that is within your comfort zone

Here is why:
1) a pullover is less complicated; a cardigan is very complex
2) a "drop shoulder" makes attaching the sleeves a breeze!
3) do not complicate your life by trying to tie in a multitude of colors
4) if you are comfortable with cabling, etc. and other fancy stitching...
go ahead and shop for a pullover with lots of intricate patterning...but
if not...just shop for a nice stitch pattern that you are at ease with

If I were to teach a SWEATERS 101 class, GUIDELINES 1-4 would be non-negtiable. :teehee:
Better to have a wonderful time knitting your first sweater...with ease and success...than to torture yourself by selecting a complicated sweater pattern. As your successes pile up, so will your skills and your confidence!

OAT CULTURE and CABIN FEVER are a pattern leaflets that have lots of simple pullover patterns, and I have knit lots of them. Sometimes the easiest, simplest patterns look the best on the human body! You can make the pullovers waaaaay bigger than your actual size for a BAGGY oversized look...or knit it to fit your body! Just depends on the look you like!

HERE (http://www.elann.com/productdisp.asp?NAME=Cabin+Fever+Leaflet+201+%2D+T he+Woodlands+Tunic&Cat=&ProductType=4&Count=100) is a link for the type of pullover I am recommending!

HERE (http://www.elann.com/productdisp.asp?NAME=Oat+Couture+Leaflet+GU406+%2D +Port+Orford+Pullover&Cat=&ProductType=4&Count=959) is another one!

I have both of these patterns myself, and can vouch for how easy they are to knit, and how nice they look on the body!

THIS (http://www.elann.com/productdisp.asp?NAME=Cabin+Fever+Leaflet+206+%2D+E asy+Colour+Blocks&Cat=&ProductType=4&Count=102#) could be done all one color...or could be the 3-color sweater that you 'graduate' to! This would be an easy 3-color sweater!

THIS (http://www.elann.com/productdisp.asp?NAME=Classic+Elite+Leaflet+348+%2D +Gentle+Breezes&Cat=&ProductType=4&Count=192#) is also a drop shoulder, and the pattern is on sale 60% off, just $1.18!

BTW, if you have not shopped online with Elann.com....I can vouch for their excellent customer service! AND their yarns prices are just the BEST! I am a regular customer. I get lots of stuff from them besides yarn and patterns.

Now, come on...expand your HORIZONS! We will help you with your first sweater! Just be sure and follow GUIDELINES 1-4 when deciding on a pattern. That's my 2 cents worth for today! :hug:

mare-nitt
05-01-2007, 07:05 PM
ArtLady, did you get my pm to you?

Marilynn

ArtLady1981
05-01-2007, 10:45 PM
Yes, Marilyn...didn't you get my reply? Weren't you asking about holding two strands together, and can't it be done? I sent you quite a lengthy reply...you know me...I can never say it in 25 words or less! :teehee:

PS: I just tried again. I clicked on My messages up at the top...and then clicked my SENTBOX...and it DID NOT send my reply to you.

So, I opened my PM/INBOX and clicked on your original PM to me...and sent ANOTHER REPLY...and instead of "sending it"...it went into the OUTBOX. Then, I sent another one...and it is sitting in the OUTBOX, too.

I don't know whatever happened to my original PM response to you.

Well, here is the answer, for the third time: Yes, you can use two strands held together, however, remember, no matter how "thin" the 2nd strand appears to be...IT WILL IMPACT your overall 'gauge'. If your 'base yarn' is already the 'right gauge'...then adding the 2nd strand will throw it off.

Always do a gauge swatch BEFORE embarking on any project...especially if the project is to be worn by a person or pet.

Hey, let me know if my latest PM responses ever reach you!

And, thanks for asking me about it! You know I would never ignore a sister knitter! :hug: I really do not know why my PM response never made it!

Hugs! Artlady

nadja la claire
05-02-2007, 08:33 AM
OK, I finished DH's cable scarf last night and I will block it tomorrow. So this morning I took a deep breath and picked up his sweater. I'm not ready to start arm holes yet. I'm only about 10" into it. I think I'm going to make it long. How long should it be before I start dividing for the holes?

Nadja xxx

mare-nitt
05-02-2007, 09:02 AM
This is the sweater I want to try, using the two strands.

It is a neck down pattern. Should be simple enough.

Marilynn

ArtLady1981
05-02-2007, 03:55 PM
Nadja, Are you working from a published pattern, or are you knitting from your own design? If you are working from a published pattern, what does the pattern say? They will recommend like this: "when the back is 20" from the bottom edge, begin armholes" or "when piece is 20" from beg, begin armhole shaping"...words similar to that....this is the point where you can either elongate the body of the sweater...or shorten it...by knitting the length you desire before starting the armholes.
However, knitting it longer than recommended will use up your yarn faster. If you purchased just enough, you will run out.

If you are knitting from your own design, which I suspect, here is what to do: measure another sweater in his closet. Measure how long it is from bottom edge to armpits. If you want the new sweater to be longer, just make the calculation and add the inches. I guess you could measure the length from bottom edge to armpits on any garment he wears. Kinda go off that.

Hi Marilyn, Did you ever get my 2nd and 3rd PM responses? Just curious.

The cute 'top down sweater' you chose is not as easy as you think, at least for a FIRST SWEATER. But, it is do-able! Don't want to scare you off. Bottom up, dropped shoulder pullover is best for a FIRST SWEATER. No buttons, no button bands to be picked up. The button placket and buttonholes are not easy for a newbit knitter. Do you have anyone in your neighborhood or community who can sit down with you and SHOW you how in person?

If not, we will do our best to be of help! :hug:

mare-nitt
05-02-2007, 06:25 PM
Art Lady,
Yes I did get you pm's, thank you.

I guess I would like to make a sweater that I can wear when it is finished, like a summer top. So I really don't want a long sleeve sweater, it will be summer here.

I am not being picky. But I figure if I can wear it when it is done, that will be more incentive to get it done. :teehee:

You guys are just way ahead of me, but you very helpful and encouraging.

Marilynn

ArtLady1981
05-02-2007, 06:33 PM
Hi Marilyn! Gotcha! :thumbsup: There are some summer tops around that are short sleeved pullovers. Well, no matter what pattern you decide on, we are here to help you! It is more about the desire to accomplish a thing than the skills. If you have the desire to try and work at it and not give up... you will get the skills! :hug:

lissalue
05-02-2007, 09:00 PM
PS: I just tried again. I clicked on My messages up at the top...and then clicked my SENTBOX...and it DID NOT send my reply to you.

So, I opened my PM/INBOX and clicked on your original PM to me...and sent ANOTHER REPLY...and instead of "sending it"...it went into the OUTBOX. Then, I sent another one...and it is sitting in the OUTBOX, too.

I don't know whatever happened to my original PM response to you.

Just wanted to let you know that when you send a PM, it goes into your OUTBOX until the person checks their INBOX and reads your message, then it goes into your SENTBOX. Hope this helps with thet.

I have about 10 rows left on the front of the sweater, so I am going to finish those and post pics tonight.

Sounds like everyone is doing good! Can't wait to see some more work pics!

ArtLady1981
05-02-2007, 10:03 PM
Thanks Melissa for helping out with the PM mystery. I see that my 2nd and 3rd PM's to Marilynn are now in my SENTBOX. However...my first PM response to her original PM is nowhere to be found. Cyberspace somewhere, maybe? I distinctly remember writing her a lengthy answer to her question about holding two strands together. Oh, well...we will probably never know. Thanks again! :hug:

heykaren
05-03-2007, 05:05 AM
Wow Melissa - youre really cruisin along. Im about 10 inches into mine ( and thought I was doing good... ) Im going to have to go out and buy more yarn very soon - was hoping to get to the shop last evening, but never made it. I don`t want to have to stop ( temporarily ) for lack of yarn :waah:

Post some pix!!!!!!

Karen

nadja la claire
05-03-2007, 09:17 AM
If you are knitting from your own design, which I suspect, here is what to do: measure another sweater in his closet. Measure how long it is from bottom edge to armpits. If you want the new sweater to be longer, just make the calculation and add the inches. I guess you could measure the length from bottom edge to armpits on any garment he wears. Kinda go off that.

It is my own design. Thanks ArtLady, I didn't even think to do that :oops: :doh:

Nadja xxx

lissalue
05-03-2007, 10:31 AM
It is going fast, but it is chunky yarn on size 10s, so that is why. Here is a pic of the front, I finished it last night.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/220/482634376_54ba7b7346.jpg

heykaren
05-03-2007, 02:00 PM
Ohhhhhhhhh coooooool!!!!!!!! Thats the "W" one from Knitty, right?

Thanks for sharing!

Karen

ArtLady1981
05-03-2007, 03:38 PM
Hey Melissa! wow! Your "Piquant" W-top is really GREAT! I am sooo impressed, I went back to the website and downloaded the pattern! I will knit it sometime this summer, maybe from cotton! I have some in my Stash!

The model photo isn't as nice as yours!!! Is this for your mother? Anyway, thanks for taking time to share! :muah:

BostonBecca
05-03-2007, 04:01 PM
Glad to see everyone is making such great progress.

I am swatching. Should I wash my swatch when done?

lissalue
05-03-2007, 04:49 PM
:aww: Thanks guys! I really didn't think it was all that great a pic, but if you think so then I guess it is. Yes, it is "W" from Knitty. And yes, it is for my mom. I have changed the pattern a little. I decided why make two pieces and have to seam when I could just keep going then make it look relatively seamless, so I am. We'll see how that goes. :shrug: I am about 1/4 of the way through the back, so I am going to hopefully get a good bit done on it before I go to bed tonight!

BostonBecca, I didn't wash my swatch, i actually pulled it back out and used the yarn in my top. I don't know if you are supposed to or not. :shrug: I am sure someone else will give you a better answer soon.

BostonBecca
05-03-2007, 05:36 PM
Thanks! I cast on and knit the first round. I'll post pics on my blog tonight. :)

ArtLady1981
05-03-2007, 06:59 PM
Hi BostonBecca...I never wash my swatches. However, if you want to know how your yarn will wash and/or dry (shrinkage? distortion? pills? fading?)...then by all means, wash and/or dry.

I usually pull out my swatch, however, there are some swatches that I saved for my yarn index. You know, how a favorite yarn works out. There are some yarn brands that I use a lot...so by keeping the swatch, I can refer back to its performance.

HERE (http://www.knittersreview.com/article_yarn_more.asp?article=/review/profile/010125_a.asp) is a really cool page I saw on Knitters Review last night...there are some really great "washing your knits" tips from many knitters! KEEP SCROLLING DOWN on the page...there is a lot of good info! I printed the page and am saving it in my HOW TO folder.

BostonBecca
05-04-2007, 09:42 AM
Thanks for the advice. Since I got guage with my swatch, I just went and cast on yesterday and I knit almost through an entire ball of the yarn before I went to bed. I didn't even go to bed late, 2 hours of Grey's gave me a lot of knitting time. I posted pictures of my progress on my blog and will continue to do so. Later in the day I will post pics on here, just have to work on finishing my paper right now.[/i]

heykaren
05-04-2007, 12:41 PM
Hey BostonBecca! Just went to your website and checked out your Tempting! VERY cool!!!! I like the color!

Ive just about run out of my green yarn and haven`t had a chance to pick up some more - will have to do that ASAP and put this temporarily on hold.... :( But maybe it will be the push I need to finish my Danica scarf :oops:

:thumbsup: Good job Becca!

Karen

BostonBecca
05-04-2007, 12:46 PM
Thanks! I love the way your v-sweater is turning out, it looks so pretty. I am glad you like the color!

I can't wait to do some more knitting on the sweater as soon as these footnotes are done!

ArtLady1981
05-04-2007, 01:29 PM
Hi Becca! I love Debbie Bliss Cashmerino Aran! I made a basketweave cardigan using Cashmerino several years ago! Sooooo cozy and soft!
Best Wishes on the conclusion of your law school finals!

BostonBecca
05-05-2007, 11:02 AM
Thanks! I am done! It's a weird feeling. I am going to do some knitting today to celebrate having free time again. Yay!

G J
05-05-2007, 04:00 PM
I'm just finishing my first sweater and am having trouble with getting the shoulder seam to look good. It's a fitted sweater, so the shoulder is cast off in 6-st increments. I end up with holes b/w each BO section.
I tried weaving, Kitchner, mattress and 3-needle BO. I ended up using the 3-needle BO, but it doesn't look good. Better than the others, but I've worked the area so much that the yarn is looking worn. Should I take off the sleeve and use new yarn to re-knit the whole section? Here's the pattern, if anyone wants to take a look at the instructions and tell me if there's a better way: http://www.magknits.com/Aug05/alice.htm
I'm wondering if it would work NOT to cast off per the instructions, but instead, put the stitches on a stitch holder until all are on holders; THEN do the 3-needle BO. I'd LOVE input!

BostonBecca
05-05-2007, 04:04 PM
The rest of the sweater looks great!! I hope you get the bind-off figured out. I am a newbie so can't really help. Maybe try looking on the how to videos here for a better bind off?

G J
05-05-2007, 04:11 PM
Thanks! It's been really fun!
The videos were what taught me all the techniques I tried! Gotta love em!
I can't find any videos showing how to seam shoulders that aren't straight. It's the multiple bindioffs that are throwing me off.

ArtLady1981
05-05-2007, 04:35 PM
Hi GJ (Gloria Jean?) :teehee:

The 3-step "stairstepped" bindoff is tricky to seam. I just finished the Left Side on a cardigan that had 27 stitches remaining...and they were cast off using the 3-step "stairstep" method as follows:
RS facing...cast off 9...knit to end...Purl back...RS facing cast off another 9...knit to end...Purl back...RS facing, cast off the remaining 9.

Here is the "key" to mattress seaming them together: you need to pick up the stitches farther away from the edge...one row away from each "step".I know the 3-step "stairstep bindoff" presents a jagged, kinda zig-zaggy "line".... so you have to look at the "straightest line" possible...and mattress stitch along that imaginary line. Maybe you could baste a contrasting thread along your "straight seam line"...to keep yourself on track. The jagged line/zig-zag line is on the other side of the seam...and I usually give the seam a shot of steam and finger-press it nicely flat.

RE: the other option that you mentioned: retain all shoulder stitches on holders until you can do a 3-needle bind-off. That will work, too. However...you will not have the slight "shoulder-slope-upwards-to-the-neck shaping" that the stairstep bindoff/mattress seaming would give you.

Hope this helps...and BTW...your photo of the seam was of great help. I agree with you...I wouldn't settle for a seam like that either...and I instantly remembered what I do to get around it, which I detailed for you in RED.

BTW: your sweater is absolutely BEAUTIFUL! You should be very proud of yourself. I can see why you are particular about "finishing techniques" that are also good-looking! This sweater deserves no less!

G J
05-05-2007, 04:47 PM
Thank you SOOO Much. I understand your instructions, and I needed someone to tell me it will be worth my time to take it all out. I really DO want it to look good. I'm afraid if I just take out the stitching, the armhole will be too tight. At the very least, I need to add a row or two. Do you think I should take out the shoulder/neck edge for a ways down and replace it with yarn that doesn't look so worn? Or will re-knitting it take care of the problem?

Thanks again!

bobi1218
05-07-2007, 08:46 AM
I've been wondering what my first sweater will be, so I can jump in this KAL. Then I realized "I'm making my first sweater!" It just isn't for me, its for my DD. (Technically, its my second sweater, the first was for DS, but that was knit flat then seamed, so it wasn't that difficult).

Anway, I'm making KPS's Easy Baby Cardigan (free pattern) in a size 18 month. The pattern is here: http://www.knittingpureandsimple.com/babycardi.html

I'm working on the final 3 ridges of garter stitch for the body now, and about to start the sleeves. I was reading the sleeve directions last night, and realized I have no clue what to do. Can someone help me out with this? Here are the directions:

Slip the sleeve sts off their length of yarn onto 2 of the DPNs - ok, got that part
Using a third DPN with right side of work facing you - understand so far - join yarn to right edge of armhole and pick up 12 sts across the armhole, placing a marker at the halfway point - Huh??? This is now the beginning and end of the round

I know how to pick up stitches, but I'm not sure how to join the yarn in there, and why place the marker halfway across the armhole - how will that work, since I won't be starting knitting there, KWIM?

I'm ataching a picture of both the whole cardigan, and a close-up of the sleeve, so you can see what it looks like. TIA!!

Cardigan so far:
http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n37/rpultorak/DSC02325.jpg

Close up of the sleeve. I have the live stitches from the raglan increases on a stitch holder, and the new stitches I cast on are below it:
http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n37/rpultorak/DSC02328.jpg

heykaren
05-07-2007, 01:14 PM
Wow - thats really cute so far! Wish I could help you, but Im still new enough to knitting that Im not sure what they mean either. Have you slept on it ( a hot shower seems to help me think a bit clearer :teehee: )

Someone will be along before too long who can help you, Im sure! Please post a pic ( with it on your DD ) when youre finished!

Karen

mare-nitt
05-07-2007, 04:37 PM
bobi1218 that sweater is adorable.

Everyone is doing so well on their sweaters. I chickened out again.

But I did take my second sock class, so I can finish my sock. Wow, that was interesting. And of course, I found new patterns I want to make. :wall:

Marilynn

lissalue
05-07-2007, 05:18 PM
Had a couple little setbacks. Got to the end of one section and discovered I was a stitch short, so i tried to just frog that section, but i didn't get all the stitches picked up, so i had to frog even further. But, i got it fixed, and i am back to where i was when i discovered the mistake, so i am happy. i still think i can get it finished by friday when we get together with my mom for Mother's Day.

G J
05-07-2007, 05:27 PM
It sounds like you're going to be joining for stitching the sleeve in the round. I use the two circular method. See Amy's tutorial for small size circular knitting.

You're going to put your stitch marker at the halfway point because from here on out, that will be where you change rows (once you knit to that point in circular). YOu want the stitch/pattern changes to take place usually on the underside of the sleeve. I've only done this once, but it worked!

Hope that helps!

ArtLady1981
05-07-2007, 08:37 PM
Hi Bobi!

I tried to count how many stitches are on that red stitch holder...about 40?
Well, here is what I would do:
1) put 20 on dpn 1
2) put 20 on dpn 2
3) pick up 6 new stitches from that little underarm section, place a stitch marker/then pick up the additional 6

Then you can begin to knit the sleeve, from top down to the cuff..."in the round"...and you will need a 4th dpn as your "working/worker dpn".
The stitch marker is put into play, I think, to mark the "beginning" and "end" of "the rounds" they are called.

I much prefer flat knitting and seaming than working in the round with dpn's.

However, you have no choice with this pattern.

So...after your 3 dpn's are "loaded" and ready to go...use that 4th "worker dpn" to knit the stitches off of each of the other dpn's as they present themselves...just remember...for example...after you have knitted off the 20 st from dpn #1...onto dpn #4 (the "worker" dpn)...now dpn#1 is the "worker dpn"...and so forth.

Every dpn will get her turn to be the "worker" dpn.

BTW: It will help you immensely if your dpn's are bamboo...and little "shorty" dpn's. There a longies, and shorties. I have both.

Feel free to ask for additonal help! :hug: Your little sweater is just adorable! Very nice pattern, too!

bobi1218
05-08-2007, 01:43 PM
Gina and ArtLady, thanks so much!! I think I'm ready to jump in and start the sleeves tonight (I wasn't brave enough last night, lol).

I'm still a bit confused about the stitch marker in the middle of the picked-up stitches, because that's not where I'm actually going to start knitting the rounds, but I'm hoping that will work itself out and make sense once I start. I guess I'll find out.

I need to work up the nerve to just do this, because I want to have the sweater finished by next Saturday. The color matches the dress I bought for Mariana to wear on her 1st b-day perfectly :)

ArtLady1981
05-08-2007, 01:47 PM
Hi bobi! Well, just put the stitch marker in place...it won't hurt to do so...and it will probably become apparent why it is called for. Mostly to mark your rounds. Or, maybe you will be asked to decrease on each side of the marker as you work your way down the sleeve to the cuff. Oh! That's it! :happydance: Take a look at your directions...don't they say something about the decreasing?

BostonBecca
05-08-2007, 06:16 PM
For some reason I stopped getting notifications about replies to this topic! I had to frog all the progress on my sweater initially, one balls worth of ribbing because I had decreased an extra stitch somewhere along the way and it threw a section of ribbing off for a little bit and I could not live with it. It's ok though, I have recovered from frog pond and I have 2 balls and a little mote than 6 inches of the sweater done and the third ball is on its way to being more ribbing. I posted a picture on my blog. It's turning out really well and I can't wait to have this sweater to wear (right in time for the hot and humid Massachusetts summer. Hah.

How is everyone's sweater coming?

Mare-knit: you should just jump on in, the tempting is so easy (so far). I think I am going to try magic loop for the first time for the sleeves rather than buying dpn's in size 8.

ArtLady1981
05-08-2007, 06:41 PM
That happened to me one time as well...I stopped getting email notifications that there are new posts! I thought it was unusual to go three days without the Year of the Stash getting a new Post! So, I tooled over there via IE7...and sure 'nuff! There had been a dozen new Posts! So I posted a post...and from there on in...I got my notifications again. :shrug:

The TEMPTING on your blog looks wonderful BTW. I have not progressed on mine because of a more urgent WIP that I am afraid I will not get done if I don't keep at it. My TEMPTING is a gift for my DD...she could use it anytime this summer. My WIP is almost there...BACK, LEFT FRONT completely done...RIGHT FRONT is 3/4 done...and next on to the sleeves, the lace collar and cuffs, blocking, seaming, and buttons. :doh:

THEN...I have another summer cardigan (pure white cable cotton) to get started and finished...all by June 22.

I have two full week's vacation in the mountains with DH...one in May, one in June...so, I am hopeful all three projects will get DONE!

Besides these three projects...I wanted to work on a STASH afghan for my granddaughter this summer. 8 STASH SKEINS of RED HEART childrens colors...have had the yarn for 4 years or so...got a book called 100 knitted afghan squares...so...with the design work already done for me...the knitting should not take so long. Each block will turn out 7"x7" using the same type of yarn for each. I have my 63 blocks selected...the color for each one of them decided upon...so...isn't that half the battle?

BostonBecca
05-08-2007, 06:46 PM
Thank you! I am so glad it is working out (the first sweater is daunting for many reasons). I appreciate all the support you have been giving everyone with this task/journey! It is so kind and very much appreciated.

I think it is great that you do so many projects for others. I am sure your daughter is going to love her tempting, the combination of yarns you are using loks beautiful and it should be stunning in the white color.

heykaren
05-09-2007, 04:56 AM
BostonBecca - just checked out your progress - it looks GREAT!!!! I hate having to go back too, but Im usually glad I did.

Ive been on hold on my sweater as I ran out of the green yarn. But IM GOING TODAY (or I will loose it!!!! :shock: ) so I can proceed on my sweater!

I think Mare-nitt will jump in when she finds the right pattern, right Mare? :thumbsup:

Good luck everyone!

Karen

lissalue
05-09-2007, 01:56 PM
The sweater is coming along. I am almost done with the top part, but i am having to add a new design implement. :teehee: i just noticed that my first strap wedge is too thin, so i looked at it and i left out 2 rows. :doh: it doesn't look bad, but it doesn't match the other two. so, since i decided not to make it in two pieces, i am going to make the last strap wedge match it then make them the back. this would make my seam be up the back, but to fix that, i am going to knit an extra inch of stocinette stitch and add buttons. I am still going to do the knitting in the round as written, just joining in the round not including the part i add on for the buttonholes. it sounds much more complicated than it is, i know it will work, and i can see it in my mind. i will post pictures when i get it done, then i think what i am doing will make sense.

heykaren
05-09-2007, 05:37 PM
uuuummmm right, what she said.... :whoosh:

Yeah - Ive got my yarn!!! but haven`t had a chance to work on it tonight, but at least I know I can do it tomorrow!!!!! :cheering:

Of course, some other yarn seemed to follow me home... but Im planning on making a shrug with it when I finish my top. This is getting bad......... :thinking:

Will post a pic in a few days when there ( hopefully ) is some progress to show!

Karen

lissalue
05-09-2007, 08:51 PM
uuuummmm right, what she said.... :whoosh:

sorry, didn't mean to make you go :whoosh: :pout:

heykaren
05-10-2007, 11:59 AM
Thats OK Melissa - I get that way ALOT on this forum - I think its just my lack of experience. Workin on that!

Anyway, question. Im about to the armhole on my sweater ( the tempting look-a-like ) and it says to bind off six stitches at each side. OK, let me see if I can explain myself.... the stitch that I will start taking over the others will really be the fourth stitch before the marker right? Does that make sense?

:??

Karen

BostonBecca
05-10-2007, 12:08 PM
That doesn't sound right to me because then you would actually be binding off the 4th stitch. I think, and ArtLady should correct me if I am wrong, that you take the third stitch before the marker and pull it over the second one before the marker and that is binding off the 3rd stitch before the marker. Then you just continue to bind off the remaining five stitches, 2 more before the marker and three after. You will use the last stitch, the 4th one after the market to knit so you have a stitch to pull the 3rd stitch after the marker over. I guess the extra stitch for this comes at the end, not at the beginning as using the 4th stitch before the marker would be. If you used the 4th stitch before the marker to pull over and off the needle you would be binding off that 4th stitch before the marker. I had to do some serious thinking about this.

heykaren
05-10-2007, 12:16 PM
Thanks becca! I was wondering about that because it seems to me ( when youre knitting straight anyway ) that youre always kinda one stitch behind, if you know what I mean..

Not quite there yet and Ive gotta go get supper done. Will try it later and let you know!

Thanks!

Karen

ArtLady1981
05-10-2007, 03:53 PM
Re: "bind off six stitches at each side" instructions:

If you are knitting FLAT...binding off 6 stitches at each side will involve two rows. You would bind off 6 at the beginning of row A...knit to the end of row A...turn your work...and then...bind off 6 at the beginnning of row B...and knit to the end of row B. (then follow directions for the remaining armhole shaping, which is usually something like "dec 1 at each end EOR til ____ stitches remain"...then...shoulder shaping comes into play)

However, I can't remember...are you knitting in the round? Will you post a photo of your work as it is? Or, if you can't do that...post the link for your pattern again?

For FLAT knitting...the 6 stitch bind off is like this:
K1 - K1 - pass this K stitch over this K stitch - K1 - pass this K stitch over this K stitch-and so forth...til 6 stitches have been eliminated in this leap frog fashion! The 6 stitch bind off will involve 7 stitches, however, one of them remains on the needle. Then continue on your merry way to the end of the row!

heykaren
05-10-2007, 05:09 PM
Im knitting in the round. Here is the pattern link.

http://www.garnstudio.com/lang/en/visoppskrift.php?d_nr=81&d_id=1&lang=us

The pic is on page 3 of this thread ( although its further along now, but to get the idea... )

I was thinking about the 7 stitches needed for the 6 stitch bind off, thats why I was wondering if you started 4 before or went 4 after. Does that make sense?

Karen

ArtLady1981
05-10-2007, 07:53 PM
I think what you are supposed to do is: bind off 3 st ON EACH SIDE of BOTH MARKERS. Total: 6 stitches bound off at each armhole.

The Marker is placed inbetween the 2 middle K stitches...so here is a diagram of 14 underarm stitches before the bindoff:

P2-K2-P2-K2-P2-K2-P2

The marker should be placed inbetween the K2...and so you will lose the P2 stitches in red...and both K2 stitches in blue after the bindoff is completed.

Here is how I would approach it on those 14 example stitches:

P2/K2/P2>pass 1st purl stitch over the 2nd purl stitch/K1>pass 2nd purl stitch over it/K1>pass it over the 1st knit stitch/P1>pass it over the 2nd knit stitch/P1>pass it over the 1st purl stitch/K1>pass it over the 2nd purl stitch/K1/P2....6 stitches are now bound off. Each place where the word "pass" occurs is the act of a 'bind off'.

I hope my color coding helps you 'to see' what stitches are involved in which stitch maneuvers.

heykaren
05-11-2007, 08:19 AM
I bound off from the third stitch as Becca and ArtLady suggested, and VOILA!!! it came out right!!!!! Yeah!!!! :happydance:

I will post some pix tonight as I don`t have time right now, and by tonight I should have a little more done, so therell be more to look at!

Thanks again everyone!

Karen

BostonBecca
05-11-2007, 11:29 AM
I am so glad that it turned out that way. I can't wait to see pics of your progress.

Cherinec5
05-11-2007, 01:33 PM
CMI! I am making this sweater from drops design.

http://www.garnstudio.com/lang/en/visoppskrift.php?d_nr=94&d_id=24&lang=en

I fell in love with it the second I seen it. I just received the Safran yarn yesterday and have started on it. I did about 10 rows or the ribbing already. Hopefully I can get it done before the summer is over with lol. The instructions are very confusing so i guess i am going to try to figure it out as i go.

BostonBecca
05-11-2007, 01:37 PM
Wow, that is such a pretty pattern and it looks like a real challenge.

Welcome to the KAL! Please keep us updated on your progress with pictures and everything!

ArtLady1981
05-11-2007, 02:00 PM
Hi Cheri!

My 3 bits of advice when working a complicated lace-like pattern such as this:

1: Use stitch markers to designate the repeat areas! (a must)
2: Make a enlarged copy of the chart, and color code all the similar boxes.
I see there are 7 instructions box types...you won't have to color code plain K and P boxes...but the other 5 need to be color coded. This will make it easy to "see" and "read" the pattern chart as you knit along.
3: At the end of EVERY ROW...do a stitch count between every stitch marker to make sure all stitches are accounted for.
FYI: the most common error in which a stitch or two are missing is because you forget to do a YARN OVER! Or, you do an unecessary Yarn Over.
It is better to discover a missing stitch ON THE ROW IN WHICH IT IS LOST ...than to have to frog back, or worse, TINK back to the mistake, several rows later when something doesn't pan out in the pattern.

Cherinec5
05-11-2007, 02:22 PM
thank you guys, i will try an post a pic as soon as i'm done with the ribbing. thank you artgirl i think i may just have to do that. i hadn't thought of that so it seems like an excellent idea!

BostonBecca
05-11-2007, 02:25 PM
I know a lot of people use life lines for lace knitting as well, so that if they have to rip back they can just rip back to the life line and not have to pick up stitches.

ArtLady1981
05-11-2007, 02:27 PM
No matter how experienced I think I am....I still follow my own advice, too!
Those 'rules' 1-3 are what I do myself, everytime! I have very few mistakes that need correction because of the stitch markers for the repeates...but, when I have a boo-boo.....I discover it in the row just knitted! AND I DO MAKE MISTAKES. It is those darn YarnOvers! :shrug:

ArtLady1981
05-11-2007, 05:29 PM
:thumbsup: "lifeline"...GOOD TIP, BECCA! :thumbsup:

heykaren
05-11-2007, 06:00 PM
OK, I give..... whats a lifeline? :pout:

Well, I made it through the armholes with no problem, but the problem seemed to come when I started the yoke. Seems that when I took the stitches for the back off and then did the 2 rows in the front, my yarn wasnt where I wanted it to be. So I kinda made a loop and then carried on from then, so as not to break the yarn. Ive never cast on again in the middle of a project, and then when I got to the part where I had to cast on again for the second shoulder, I had to start from scratch, so its not connected right now to the sweater (but will be once I start knitting in the round again).

Funny how the "problems" seem to come when you least expect them. Im hoping Ive done things relatively OK, Im sure Ill find out as I knit on.

Didn`t get a chance to get the pix ready to post. Will do ASAP - and maybe by then Ill be able to tell you how my yoke is going.... :teehee:

Cheri - nice top - and good luck!!!! Post pix as you progress!

Karen

ArtLady1981
05-11-2007, 06:20 PM
Karen: it is a length of contrasting yarn...strung along in and out of the stitches in a perfectly knit row...lifelines may be put into play every 5 rows or so...SO THAT if you make a boo-boo somewhere above the lifeline...you can tear out (frog) your work TO THE LIFELINE...put your stitches back on the needles...and start again from a GOOD ROW.
MOST IMPORTANT: be sure you make note of which pattern row it is!!! :thumbsup: so that you know what row to START KNITTING AGAIN.

You can also go to our KH heading called HOW TO QUESTIONS...and ask those very experienced lace knitters (who live and die by lifelines!) if they have any lace "links" that will show you how to insert a lifeline. I don't think Amy has a video showing the placement of a lifeline.

I don't knit "true lace"...just some lacy patterned scarves...but...by my careful attention given to my row with regards to: stitch markers and re-counting all the stitches inbetween each stitch marker...I don't go forward with a hidden mistake. I would rather be extra careful and avoid the mistakes...or catch the mistake before going on to my next row.

Just me. :pout:

BostonBecca
05-11-2007, 06:20 PM
This is what I copied from your pattern.
Yoke: 56-62-68-74 back sts on needle, loosely cast on 26-32-32-38 new sts for shoulder, put in front sts on needle and loosely cast on 26-32-32-38 new sts for shoulder = 164-188-200-224 sts; join.

I read this as
1)Yoke: 56-62-68-74 back sts on needle, (For this, you have the back stitches already on the needle. You should be at the place to do one shoulder already.)
2)loosely cast on 26-32-32-38 new sts for shoulder, (You are already at the shoulder increase spot, cast on one set of shoulder stitches)
3)put in front sts on needle (Here, in order to have the working yarn in the right spot, it seems to me that you would have to knit the stitches off the needle holder onto the needle in the ribbing pattern)
4)and loosely cast on 26-32-32-38 new sts for shoulder (Here you would cast the stitches for the second shoulder onto the needle) 164-188-200-224 sts;
5)join. If you then knit the back stitch next to the last shoulder stitch you cast on, you should be knitting in the round again and just knitting around once it should all be joined.

This seems to be right to me, conceptually, but it's hard for me to know without the garment in front of me. If you did not knit across the front stitches then your yarn would not be in the right place for the casting on of the second shoulder stitches.

I hope this helps!

BostonBecca
05-11-2007, 06:22 PM
PS. I would also place the markers seperating the shoulders and the body as you are doing the above.

ArtLady1981
05-11-2007, 06:29 PM
I admire all you who are knitting your first sweaters! However, If it was up to me to choose your first sweater pattern...I would have guided you towards less complicated patterns.

The "simplest looking" patterns...can actually be a P.I.T.A!

Another thing that will facilitate future KALS: everyone knits the same pattern.

That way everyone is "walking the same path"...if you know what I mean!
I participated in a KAL here at KH called The Dollar and a Half Cardigan.
:hair: It was a BEAR of a pattern! :hair: But, as we all figured out this mystery pattern...we helped each other. If I was ahead of someone else...I could pass along the information that would help others when they got to that "stage"...thereby preventing them from messing up like I had. :hair:

If anyone is "game" for a SECOND SWEATER KAL...we should do that: the same pattern for all.

heykaren
05-11-2007, 06:38 PM
OK, after the armhole bind offs, I had to put the back stitches on a holder ( did that ) then you had to knit 2 rows in the pattern for the front. But your working yarn is at the edge of the back, so you have to "jump" the armhole. This is where I just made a big loop with extra yarn to weave in later.

Then I did the two rows in the back and ended up back where I started. I then cast on the 32 I needed, added the front stitches from the holder - but in the meantime, the working yarn got left back at the other shoulder. THis is why I had to start the cast on"from scratch".

So I probalby should have knit the stitches off the holder to keep the yarn where I needed it.....

Not to late to fix even though I cut the yarn.

Will give that a shot!

Karen

heykaren
05-11-2007, 06:46 PM
You have a good point ArtLady.

I will ask my questions in the "how-to" section - don`t want to confuse anyone or turn them off to the KAL.

Karen

ADAllen
05-12-2007, 12:49 AM
Here is a link to the Life Line Video (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/basic_techniques/misc.php). It is under the Fixing Mistakes heading.

ArtLady1981
05-12-2007, 03:43 AM
Amanda! Thanks for the LIFELINE link!!!! :muah:

lissalue
05-12-2007, 05:30 PM
i finished the sweater for my mom last night. i will post pics as soon as she emails them to me. she really liked it and it looked really good! :cheering:

BostonBecca
05-12-2007, 05:57 PM
Yay! We have somoene who completed their sweater. I haven't been able to knit on mine because I have been knitting on the Oddball Blanket, but as soon as I am finished with the oddball blanket knitting it is back to sweater knitting for me.

ArtLady1981
05-12-2007, 09:00 PM
HERE (http://www.ingenkonst.se/sjc4_e.htm) is what I have feverishly been working on...for the past couple weeks! I am done with the BACK, 2 FRONTS, and one SLEEVE. Besides the 5 main pieces, I have to knit the "lace" cuffs and collar....and then seam everything into place. Good news: it doesn't look like my 'OPAL' will need blocking. The yarn I am using is RY CashSoft Baby DK...and the fiber blend (57% Extra Fine Merino/33% Microfiber/10% Cashmere) is just melting into place! Yummy! I made my OPAL longer than the model...and will have to purchase 10 buttons for it instead of 6 or 7.

I promise, after I finish this sweater, and the next...both of which I need for a June 22-24 event...I will finish my TEMPTING!! It is a gift and has no deadline.

Congrats Lissalue on your FIRST FINISHED SWEATER!!!! :cheering: :happydance: :cheering: :happydance: :cheering: :happydance:

heykaren
05-15-2007, 11:15 AM
I JUST finished binding off my (Garnsstudio) Tempting!!! :happydance: NOw all I have to do is tuck in the loose ends ( and wait for the weather to warm up a tad ) and its ready to wear!

Now to start my next project....... :eyebrow:

Karen

BostonBecca
05-15-2007, 11:20 AM
That is awesome Karen! I can't wait to see pictures. It must feel so good to have your first sweater done!

I restarted working on mine (had to take a break from it to get the oddball blanket section finished) and it is going quickly. I am almost done with the third ball of yarn (the main body should take 4 and a half balls I think).

I'll post a picture of mine later on my blog. There isn't much difference from the last picture, it just keeps getting longer.

ArtLady1981
05-15-2007, 02:53 PM
Hey Karen!!

:cheering: CONGRATS!! :cheering:

We hope you will post a photo of yourself wearing your very TEMPTING new sweater!

BostonBecca
05-16-2007, 01:54 PM
I posted my latest progress shot on my blog.

ArtLady1981
05-17-2007, 04:38 AM
Becca, I clicked onto your BLOG link...but I didn't see your TEMPTING. Hmmm. Did I misunderstand? :pout: Is it finished...or in progress??

I will go back and look closer.

BTW: May 20-28 I will be on VACATION, on a mountain top with DH and 3 of the dogs...no internet access & no electricity at all. "Off the grid" is what they call remote areas of Washington State!

I call it KNITTERS HEAVEN. :lol:

I will be back to KH sometime Monday May 28th. :thumbsup: I will check in with y'all asap!

ArtLady1981
05-17-2007, 04:42 AM
Gotta check and see if I am subscribed to this very important thread. Don't know how to bring up the "subscribe" thing by clicking EDIT...so I think I have to "post" fresh to see the "subscribe" to the post thing.

Sorry for this lame post. :pout:

Yup, I was NOT subscribed to this thread. So now I am.

BE SURE AND "SUBSCRIBE" to threads that you want to get notifications from. In the old KH...you got the notifications automatically if you posted...now you have to 'SUBSCRIBE' to get notifications. I think that is how it is. Check below your new posts...and see ADDITIONAL OPTIONS. It is called "Thread Subscription".

heykaren
05-17-2007, 06:03 AM
Becca - just went to your blog to see your progress. Way to go girl!!!!! :thumbsup:

BTW - I want to see a pic in your lame graduation cap......:wink:

Karen

Purl
05-17-2007, 11:08 AM
Hello! I'm new here, and I'm starting my very first sweater, so I was hoping it isn't too late to join this knitalong!

I've chosen to do Wicked, and I'm using Knitpicks Swish Superwash in Truffle. I've started swatching, and I've had to go up to a size 9 from size 7 needle. I guess I knit pretty tight.

I'm going to finish my swatch and wash and block it. I'm trying to do things right! I guess it's good to start these habits early.

I'm looking forward to getting to know you all!

ArtLady1981
05-17-2007, 01:41 PM
Hi Purl! You are definitely on the right track for a successful knitted garment! Paying close attention to gauge ensures that your garment will fit! FYI: stitch gauge (width) is most important. Row gauge is less crucial. If after getting perfect stitch gauge you find that your row gauge is too short or too tall...you can adjust the garment's outcome by where you start the armhole shaping. The patterns will usually say "When your piece is ______" from the beginning, start the armhole shaping as follows:_______". Be sure and start the armhole shaping at the point.

Here is a way to tweak the length of your garment: I am making a cardigan right now...but I wanted the overall length of the cardigan to be 23"...not 17"...so I just added 6" to the length before starting the armhole shaping. I didn't want to add length from the armpits to shoulders. Adding this much length to the sweater required quite a bit more yarn, but I had extra.

Purl
05-17-2007, 02:19 PM
Hi ArtLady1981! Thanks for the advice!

My sweater is going to be knit top down, so I can try it on as I go, I'm sure that will be helpful too! I purchased an extra 2 skiens so I really hope I don't run out of yarn before I get the length I want.

I'm sure I will have many questions for you as I venture on in my new sweater adventure!

Thanks again!

ArtLady1981
05-17-2007, 03:00 PM
Hi Purl!

Just a quick fyi: I will be on vacation all next week...on a mountaintop that no way has internet connection! I will respond to any of your questions through tomorrow. Starting this Sat...until Memorial Day...I will be "off the grid" in the remote area of Nighthawk Summit!

Purl
05-17-2007, 03:52 PM
Wow! Enjoy your vacation! :happydancing:

I'm going for a tonsillectomy next Friday. I've been so overworked lately, that I'm looking forward to it! :pout: :pout:I guess I really need a vacation.

I will probably do most of my work on the sweater while recovering as my doctor is giving me two weeks off. Hopefully I won't be in too much pain that I can't even knit. Although knitting and painkillers probably don't mix either.

Anyway, enjoy your time out there, it sounds lovely!

Arielluria
05-17-2007, 03:58 PM
I'd like to join, but the tempting wouldn't look good on me. I have some yarn I need to do something with, will post what it is later. I'll be looking for a simple sweater, if I do it.

BostonBecca
05-17-2007, 06:58 PM
Oh! I was not subscribed and had not gotten notifications! I thought no one was posting.

I will be sure to post a pic on my blog of me in my silly hat. I guess the coolness of the robe and hood you get for grad schools make it all right. I am up to the time to start the sleeves on my tempting. The last progress shot is up on my blog artlady, maybe it was too soon for it to come up after I posted? I did edit that post a few times to catch typos, so maybe that was the problem.

I think I am going to try and learn magic loop for these sleeves, but it might be after this weekend because my mom comes in tomorrow and there is mucho family time.

ArtLady1981
05-18-2007, 01:28 PM
Becca: I didn't get notification of your most recent Post.

I am going to pop over to the Year of the Stash and see if there are any new Posts.

Hi Ariellura! I think I posted some links to easy sweaters in this thread. Don't remember what page.

A 'pullover' sweater with 'drop shoulders' is the easiest for a newbie garment knitter. Knit in 4 pieces...back/front/two sleeves.

Let us know what you find! :muah:Welcome the Wonderful World of Sweaters!

I finished all the components for my OPAL cardigan!
CLICK HERE (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/showthread.php?t=52083&page=93) to pop in at The Year of the Stash. I posted photos of my progess there!

BostonBecca
05-18-2007, 03:56 PM
Welcome to both of our new sweater KALers!

I should be around all next week to give what help I can.

I hope you find a good sweater Arierllura.

Purl, Wicked is such a nice sweater. I would love to try it sometime, but I have a couple other sweaters picked out to do first.

Please keep us updated on your progress. Questions about how to do things, etc. are always welcome here. We'll give what help we can!

My sweater is taking a little break. Sleeves start on Monday.

PixieKnits
05-18-2007, 04:15 PM
Ok im working on my first sweater is it too late to join? :)

lissalue
05-18-2007, 04:37 PM
Ok im working on my first sweater is it too late to join? :)

nope! it isn't! this is the kind of KAL that can go on as long as there are people knitting their first sweaters. :muah:

PixieKnits
05-18-2007, 04:46 PM
im on the raglan part right now, im doing it for my toddler so it will go quick ;)

ArtLady1981
05-18-2007, 06:17 PM
Hi Pixie! Good for you! I love knitting baby and toddler things. They go sooo fast! A quick fix! Welcome to our 1st Sweater KAL. I have been knitting since 1970...and I am here to help in any way I can. However, many of our 1st Sweater knitters are very experienced as well...it is just that they are knitting a garment for the 1st time!
Call of any of us at any time for assistance...and for a BIG HUG if you need one! :hug: As said earlier, I will be off the grid next week until Memorial Day. But, all the sisters will take good care of you I am sure!
ArtLady

PixieKnits
05-18-2007, 07:12 PM
Thanks a bunch! :) it seems to be going fairly smooth so far! :) I've knit Shorts and Pants for my toddler, so it has a lot of the same principles! :) hopefully i can make it through!

BostonBecca
05-19-2007, 03:08 PM
I am still not getting notifications even though I am subscribed to this thread. I hope everyone's sweaters are going well.

ArtLady1981
05-19-2007, 03:14 PM
Hi Becca! I am not receiving email notifications for this thread either.

Maybe we should let the MOD SQUAD know...or maybe Sheldon's thread called FORUM BUGS, or something like that.

I just keep popping back to see if someone has checked in. I am not subscribed to a lot of threads...just maybe 5 at the most.

Edit: Oops. It is working now! I just got an email notification for our 1st Sweater KAL! Becca, did'ya know this: even though the message appears partially or in full in your email notification...you still have to 'click on it' to enable additional email notifications in the future? Same as before.

BostonBecca
05-21-2007, 08:00 PM
How is everyone doing on their sweaters?

I started my first sleeve for tempting today using magic loop.

PixieKnits
05-22-2007, 02:31 AM
im still working, i haven't had much of a chance as im also a knitter for business, so im trying to get my custom work done so its sitting and staring :(

BostonBecca
05-22-2007, 02:49 PM
Pixie- Don't worry, sweaters are slow going anyways! I am working on the first sleeve for Tempting. I am using Magic Loop and it is my first time doing that. It is sooo easy and nice. I like this technique a lot. I posted a progress shot of my sleeve on my blog. I am getting close to an inch on it. It does go kind of slowly, but I like having one needle for a sleeve.

Show us your progress. It doesn't matter if it is only a little. (Mine is tiny!)

Purl
05-22-2007, 03:44 PM
Hello!

Just checking in to let you guys know that I cast on for my Wicked sweater over the weekend. So far it's going well. It's a top down raglan, and I'm about 4 inches in. I think the fabric looks a little loose, but the gague was correct after washing, so I'm going to trust the swatch!!

I can't wait to get to the part where I can try it on and see how it's fitting!! :cheering:

PixieKnits
05-22-2007, 03:46 PM
Here my sons raglan so far

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a250/pixielinds/100_2505.jpg

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a250/pixielinds/100_2504.jpg

BostonBecca
05-22-2007, 04:16 PM
Wow Pixie, that color combination is gorgeous. That will be such an incredible sweater.

Your sweater should go so quickly too, because it is for a kid.

Purl, that is great you cast on! I hope it does turn out well, as long as you have guage it should be good. The great thing is that you can test it! I can't wait to see your progress.

PixieKnits
05-22-2007, 04:46 PM
Thanks its a custom colorway i had hand painted from a dear friend of mine! :)

Cherinec5
05-23-2007, 01:57 PM
ok i have made some progress on the sweater so far:

http://www.garnstudio.com/lang/en/visoppskrift.php?d_nr=94&d_id=24&lang=en

i will post pics when i get home. you can see the pattern now and i love it. i'm just so frusterated with the way the pattern is written!!!! i mean i'm reading the pattern and you look a few lines below and you are supposed to be doing these at the same time. i think i finally have them all down ( I HOPE)!!!!! anyways i will post pics when i go home hopefully. i took them last night but was too lazy to go to the computer lol. now i have to take new ones because i made more progress!

everyones projects are looking real good. good luck!!!
sorry for the rant but i am sick and the way this pattern is written is making me even sicker!

BostonBecca
05-23-2007, 02:13 PM
I can't wait to see the pictures.

That must be very frustrating with the pattern.

Have you thought about going through the pattern and rewriting out the instructions for each row or section stitch by stitch basically. So, if the pattern says to do a step at the same time you can rewrite the order in a way that makes more sense to you? So, the first thing you have to do in that row or round is first, and you can just follow it easier that way?

Cherinec5
05-23-2007, 02:18 PM
hi becca, thats what i was doing. i JUST finished it a little while ago. i hope its all correct lol.

heykaren
05-23-2007, 05:54 PM
Hey Becca - just checked out your blog - guess youre right, those hats are kinda dorky... and man, those diplomas are BIG!!!!!!

Congrats! :thumbsup:

Karen

Cherinec5
05-23-2007, 07:11 PM
well, here is my progress so far. i hope to finish a couple more inches tonight and hopefully get the back done this weekend and start on the front!

PixieKnits
05-24-2007, 10:55 PM
IM making more progress finally! im doing this Raglan

http://www.woolworks.org/patterns/raglan.html

now, once i get to the point where i do my arms, do i pick up from the inch that i cast on? or do i just knit whats on the arm stitches and sew the hole up when im done.

heykaren
05-25-2007, 08:35 AM
Well Pixieknits, I cant answer your question, but I just wanted to thank you for the link to that "custom" sweater site. Thats really cool!!!! Im going to have to bookmark that and maybe try something next fall/winter ( tank tops are calling me now... )

:thumbsup:

Karen

BostonBecca
05-25-2007, 09:16 AM
I didn't have time to read your instructions carefully (have to get to the gym this morning) but from what I did read, it seemed as if you should have enough stitches for the sleeve to just knit it in a circle down. I am pretty confused by this "unpattern" maybe you should ask in the how to forum for a better answer. I am sorry I can't be more helpful.

BostonBecca
05-25-2007, 09:22 AM
Cherinec- The progress looks great! It looks so pretty in that color. Keep going!

I am probably about half way through my first sleeve!

I took a little break from the sweater to work on the finishing of another project because an old family friend who just happens to be a really experienced knitter was teaching me how to crochet the edge of my tanktop (it calls for a single crochet border).

I did get some sleeve knitting done yesterday too before Pirates of the Caribbean III. I know it has been getting sort of mild reviews but I thought it delivered and did not seem as long as it is. I won't say more than that I was shocked at one of the things that happened. Definitely worth it if you liked the first two.

I'll post a progress picture hopefully later today. If not, am really busy today so I apologize in advance!

Karen- I am glad you agree about the hats! I hopefully never have to wear one again! But I have my gigantic and hard to carry diploma and it was all worth it.

Hildegard_von_Knittin
05-25-2007, 09:33 PM
now, once i get to the point where i do my arms, do i pick up from the inch that i cast on? or do i just knit whats on the arm stitches and sew the hole up when im done.

Hey Pixie,
without looking at the pattern, I can tell you this: When making a top-down raglan sweater, once the increases are done, the "sleeve stitches" should fit comfortably around the arm--not too tight int he armpit. Then, you put the sleeve stitches on a pices of waste yarn, and continue knitting the body. When you're ready to do the sleeves, just transfer the stitches from the waste yarn to your needle, and go from there. You might have to pick up an extra stitch or two in the armpit area, so you don't have a hole (Purl, I had to do this with Wicked).

PixieKnits
05-27-2007, 12:27 AM
Thank you so much ! :) that was my question, and its now clearer to me!

ArtLady1981
05-27-2007, 12:03 PM
Hi All! My oh my...you have been busy busy busy knitters! :knitting::knitting::knitting:

We came back from vacation a day early! I didn't start my intended project: a pure white KHAKI CABLES (http://www.stitchesmarket.com/xcart/customer/product.php?productid=7472) cardigan. :pout: The mountaintop was too windy...and the gusts will carry little dirt particles into the yarn. Grr. However, I did not leave home without a PLAN B! I completed 20-7"x7" squares for a 63 squares afghan, using Stash Yarn. It is for one of my young granddaughters.

Anyway, thanks to all for helping our newbie-sweater sister with her top down raglan cardigan. A most interesting sweater un-pattern! Thanks for the link! Cool pattern, er, un-pattern! :teehee:

psammeadred
05-27-2007, 04:27 PM
Is it too late to join in? I just started my first sweater yesterday - pics are on my blog.

BostonBecca
05-27-2007, 04:30 PM
Please join in! I am still in sleeveland and once I am out of there I have to do more work on the body! This will continue as long as people out there are starting new first sweaters. I'll probably post about my second one as well!

ArtLady1981
05-28-2007, 05:16 AM
Hey there Psammeadred! Where is your blog spot so I can take a peek at your sweater? Welcome aboard the Sweater Train!

psammeadred
05-28-2007, 10:54 PM
Hey there Psammeadred! Where is your blog spot so I can take a peek at your sweater? Welcome aboard the Sweater Train!

Here's my blog (http://psammeadred.blogspot.com). (You can also click on my profile thingy, then on my website.)

I cast on for the sweater on Saturday, and so far I've got one and a half repeats of the diamond cable done. I haven't split for the sleeves yet.

Specs:
Pattern: Cable-Down Raglan from Spring 07 Interweave Knits
Yarn: Patons Classic Wool in Leaf Green
Needles: US 4 (I was surprised that I needed to go down so low to get gauge! I'm not usually such a loose knitter.)
Start date: 5-26-07

nadja la claire
05-29-2007, 11:23 AM
I'm doing a bottom up sweater and the arm hole incr. are almost done. The pattern that I'm using as a guide says to divide th sts. and work the front and back separately. How do I do this? Please help, Oh yea yarn Goddesses :pray: :notworthy:

Nadja xxx

BostonBecca
05-29-2007, 11:32 AM
To divide the stitches you have to place them on different needles.

If you have 200 stitches overall, and 100 are the front and 100 are the back, I would follow the directions for the front and knit those onto a different set of needles and work those as directed, leaving the back stitches on the original needle (or vice versa). You could also just use a stitch holder. I have the Options and I like to knit the first row of stitches when separating the front and back of something onto a different cord and then use the end caps for the cords so it creates a long flexible stitch holder and then work the other side (either the back or the front) as directed and just switch the needle tips when I need to. If you are doing this with the Options you can just remove the tip from the non working end right now and put in onto the second cord and slip or work the stitches onto the second cord, with an end cap already in place on the far end of the second cord.

You are working the stitches in the front and the back back and forth separately.

Hope this helps!

You can do all the front work and then do the back work and only have to switch the needle tips once.

ArtLady1981
05-29-2007, 12:35 PM
I second what BostonBecca said! Exactly right, well put! :thumbsup:

nadja la claire
05-29-2007, 01:53 PM
Thanks BostonBecca and ArtLady,

:muah: :muah: :muah:

I does help, I'm still a little confused but I'll get it. Your instructions are clearer than the pattern I'm using as a guide.

Nadja :knitting:

ArtLady1981
05-29-2007, 04:52 PM
Hi again Nadja!

You are such an accomplished knitter! I am glad you are expanding your horizons to include garments! Good for you!

Hugs,

Artlady

BostonBecca
05-30-2007, 12:24 AM
Hi Nadja, glad we could be of assistance. I had to do that on my tanktop and it was a little confusing for me at first as well. It's tough when patterns aren't clear, but I am not sure I could do any better.

I have finally made some progress on my first sleeve. It is almost done. I posted progress pics on my blog. Let me know what you think!

I hope everyone's sweaters are going well, or is everyone out enjoying the weather? I went to the Red Sox game tonight with the boy and friends so did little knitting tonight.

It is almost too hot to knit at all here with the yarn I am using. I can't wait to finish this and cast on for my second tanktop with cotton yarn or a much thinner yarn. Maybe the first pair of socks?

psammeadred
05-31-2007, 12:20 AM
Well, I've overcome two major hurdles - finishing the second repeat of the diamond center cable and separating the sleeves! This is such an addicting knit. I've been knitting almost 3 hours tonight. I keep thinking, "Just one more row...oh, let me finish the cable repeat...let me just finish the back again..." But I've been up since 5:15 this morning (it's 11:20 now), and I am TIRED.

Here are some pics of the front and a sleeve.

ArtLady1981
05-31-2007, 04:18 AM
Hi Psammeadred! Your cable sweater is just gorgeous. I love the color! Also, the yarn choice is setting off your cabling real nice!

I know what you mean! I do the same thing...just one more row...oh...I'll just do the wrongside, it's so quick...ah...I might as well finish this repeat...

and on and on and on...til I have to pee so bad I can hardly make it to the potty! Gotta stop that! So, the bathroom is across from my office...so here I am checking in at KH!

I had to stop IN THE MIDDLE OF A ROW and run for the potty! :eyebrow:

Gads...

On another note...I started a KHAKI CABLES cardigan and I have a thread for it on our WHAT'CHA KNITTING section. I told y'all about it. That is why my TEMPTING in still on the needles...languishing on the needles...because I have to get this KHAKI CABLES cardigan done by June 22nd.

Anyway, I will pick up my TEMPTING again soon! Stay tuned! :poke:

PixieKnits
05-31-2007, 11:02 AM
Im finally almost done the raglan increases! i have to decide now if i want it 7 inches or 7 1/2 for a little extra growing room for my little tot! :)

ArtLady1981
05-31-2007, 04:59 PM
Hi Pixie! I have sewed and knit for my 5 children, and I can "second" your thoughts about adding 1/2" to the armpit-to-shoulder area. That is exactly the area that gets tight as they grow. Personally, I would add the 1/2". It will not look overly large by any means, and you will get more mileage out of a wonderful handknit!

PixieKnits
05-31-2007, 07:52 PM
Thats EXACTLY what i was thinking, i know how quick they grow and i don't want to put all this time and love into it and it not fit! :) so an extra 1/2'' it is!

BostonBecca
06-01-2007, 12:52 AM
Psaaemedred?sp

I love the color of your sweater. It looks so beautiful!

Pixie, I am glad you got that issue figured out.

I finished my first sleeve and am moving onto my 2nd one tomorrow hopefully.

It's looking good, I got a three quarter length sleeve from one ball of the Cashmerino Aran, which is what I was realistically hoping.

ArtLady1981
06-01-2007, 02:46 AM
I love Debbie Bliss Cashmerino Aran yarn! :heart: YUMMY!:heart:

voyageofbeagle
06-02-2007, 01:29 PM
Hi ArtLady, Bostonbecca & all other sweater experts!

I am thinking about starting my first sweater. I'd like to do the "On Deck Pullover" from Knitpicks:

http://www.knitpicks.com/On+Deck+Pullover_PD50561220.html

Do you think that is a "do-able" choice for a first sweater?

They recommend Shine Worsted for the yarn- any thoughts on that?

Thanks in advance - I've been reading this thread and working up the nerve to start this project! :shock:

ArtLady1981
06-02-2007, 04:03 PM
Hi ArtLady, Bostonbecca & all other sweater experts!

I am thinking about starting my first sweater. I'd like to do the "On Deck Pullover" from Knitpicks:

http://www.knitpicks.com/On+Deck+Pullover_PD50561220.html

Do you think that is a "do-able" choice for a first sweater?

They recommend Shine Worsted for the yarn- any thoughts on that?

Thanks in advance - I've been reading this thread and working up the nerve to start this project! :shock:

Hi Voyager! Yes, this is a perfect "1st Sweater"! The only thing that would make it easier is if the shoulders were "drop shoulders"!

My advice: because the sleeves have no cuffs, make sure that your sleeves don't turn out too long. You couldn't push them up or roll them up. Maybe that is never an issue for you if you are a tall girl...but for me...I always have to do a measurement for the sleeves. Kids patterns are the same way. Toddlers and babies always have shorter arms than the designers think.

We look forward to helping you! :muah:

BostonBecca
06-03-2007, 12:43 PM
I can offer a semi opinion on Shine Worsted because I have used shine sport. I love shine sport, it's really soft when knitted up and quite a nice fabric. I would say go for it. I have only heard good things about worsted as well.

Welcome to the KAL!

BostonBecca
06-03-2007, 11:28 PM
My second sleeve got its second start today. Turns out my BF was able to fix the internet down here on Chappaquiddick so it is just slow, but works consistently as opposed to not at all. Yay!

How is everyone coming with their sweaters?

ArtLady1981
06-04-2007, 01:39 PM
Hi!

I don't know if y'all have seen this! It is a yarn review (http://www.knittersreview.com/yarn.asp) of many types of yarns...and the reviews are a compilation of many knitter's experiences with the yarn...the pros and the cons.

I learned a lot about different yarns in general...and also learned "why" some yarns I have chosen were awful :pout: ...at least for the pattern I chose.

The reviews are very useful IMHO. Hope you think so, too! :thumbsup:

ArtLady1981
06-04-2007, 02:08 PM
I received this QUOTE OF THE WEEK and I found it very interesting and worthy of passing along in this thread!

Quote of the Week

"The greater danger for most of us is not that our aim is too high and we miss it, but that it is too low and we reach it." - Michaelangelo

My hat is off to all of you who are knitting your very first sweater!
Michaelangelo would approve!

BostonBecca
06-06-2007, 11:16 PM
Thanks for the yarn review site ArtLady. I forgot about it, but it is a great resource.

I am about halfway through second sleeveland.

I only get to knit in the evenings right now, because of bar studying, so my progress is less than before, but tempting is coming along nicely!

I can't wait to be able to join the sleeves to the body for the yoke of the sweater knitting. It will be so close to done.

I went to visit the one! yarn store on Martha's Vineyard today. It's nice, the lady there was moving stuff around because she is getting her summer and fall shipment in, and had a 30% off basket. I got some stuff from that, for my swapper. The store has some nice stuff but a rather limited selection. It's got to, I realize, being on such a small island, but it made me miss Windsor Button in Boston. There is a store on the island that also carries yarn, but it's all red heart and I just prefer natural fibers. Ok, they had a few skeins of some nice cotton stuff I almost got, but I am resisting purchasing the cotton they had because none of it was enough to make a tanktop.

PixieKnits
06-07-2007, 10:31 PM
I want to make sure im measuring my raglan correctly... DO i measure where the pink is along the raglan increases, or do i measure where i have the orange from the neck to the needles

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a250/pixielinds/raglan.jpg

ArtLady1981
06-08-2007, 02:10 AM
I want to make sure im measuring my raglan correctly... DO i measure where the pink is along the raglan increases, or do i measure where i have the orange from the neck to the needles

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a250/pixielinds/raglan.jpg

Hi Pixie! I have never done a top down raglan. Can you post the directions? What does the pattern say exactly?

My instinct tells me to measure along the orange line. I have knit raglans bottom to top...and I am sure if the directions said: "after the cast offs for the armpits...do the decreases like 'such and such' until the armhole is 9" from beginning (from the armpit cast offs). I dont think I ever measured along the raglan line. I would measure from the row A (the row of the cast offs) to row Z (9" in length)

Also, other Stashies may have more experience about how to measure a top down raglan.

I follow your question...very nice diagram on the photo!

PixieKnits
06-08-2007, 02:44 AM
Oh its an Unpattern, so it doesn't really say LOL

BostonBecca
06-08-2007, 08:51 AM
I would guess what ArtLady said, because it seems as if you want it to be how long it will be on the person wearing it, when you switch to doing another thing. But, I have never done a raglan, so take my opinion with a grain of salt! Parhaps, since we are not sure, you could also ask in the how to forum, and we would all feel better about the answer.

BTW, that was a very informative and well explained question, with the lines drawn in there!

PixieKnits
06-08-2007, 04:16 PM
THanks :) i figured if i measured him in the same place as i measured the sweater, i can't go wrong!

BostonBecca
06-10-2007, 10:46 AM
That seems right to me!

I joined the sleeves for my tempting to the body yesterday and am now knitting away on the yoke (which is the top portion of the sweater). It's going pretty quickly, but today is mostly a studying day, so I will have to wait until tonight to work on it more.

madametj
06-10-2007, 08:49 PM
i can wait to join this thread! :woohoo:

Hopefully i'll be able to pick up some yarn for Hot Lava (http://www.bluealvarez.com/bluealva/patterns/hotlava.html) this week (whether i get started on it or not is another story:teehee:)

I'll be making this sweater in Caron SS, hopefully two 6 oz. skeins should do it.

BostonBecca
06-11-2007, 09:13 AM
MadameTJ, welcome to the 1st sweater KAL! I like your choice. I've got that pattern bookmarked myself, and I think it is a great choice. It should go pretty quickly and is really cute.

Let us know when you cast on and please keep us updated, with snags and or questions, if you have them!

madametj
06-11-2007, 08:42 PM
MadameTJ, welcome to the 1st sweater KAL! I like your choice. I've got that pattern bookmarked myself, and I think it is a great choice. It should go pretty quickly and is really cute.

Let us know when you cast on and please keep us updated, with snags and or questions, if you have them!

Sure, I'll come right here as soon as i cast on.:thumbsup:

stirsmommy
06-11-2007, 08:51 PM
Hi everyone,
I am in the middle of my first sweater. It is a wallaby for my 7yods. It was beginning to get difficult so I have switched to a kitchen sink bag for today. Not getting all of the directions for that so I would imagine tomorrow I will be back to the wallaby. When these are both done they will be my third and fourth FO's with the first to being a tube scarf (didn't know stockinette would roll) and a pair of slippers. Having support to get the sweater done sounds like a great plan to me.
Melissa

BostonBecca
06-11-2007, 11:04 PM
Welcome Melissa! I hope we can be of assistance. I think baby sweaters are some of the most adorable things ever. I can't wait to hear about how it comes along.

I am 2.5-3 inches into the yoke (top part that covers the chest) on my Tempting sweater. That means I have 3-3.5 inches more to go on the yoke before I do the final six rows. Yay! I am so excited to have a sweater done! I am a little nervous about having to do a three needle bindoff to join the sleeve and body part of the armholes, but I bet the videos on here can help we with that. Progress pics tomorrow sometime on my blog, I promise!

How is everyone else doing?

Purl
06-13-2007, 09:34 AM
Hello! I just wanted to drop a quick line to let you guys know I haven't disappeared all together, I just had my tonsils removed and was out of commission for two weeks. :pout:

I really didn't get as much knitting done as I'd hoped. I was really really sick. I do have pictures of my progress so far and will try to post them tonight!

Purl

heykaren
06-13-2007, 04:45 PM
Ouch!!!! Hope youre feeling better Purl! :thumbsup:

psammeadred
06-13-2007, 10:15 PM
Hello! I just wanted to drop a quick line to let you guys know I haven't disappeared all together, I just had my tonsils removed and was out of commission for two weeks. :pout:

I really didn't get as much knitting done as I'd hoped. I was really really sick. I do have pictures of my progress so far and will try to post them tonight!

Purl

Ice cream ice cream ice cream! :hug:

I've decided that the Cable-Down Raglan is my "weekend" sweater. I've only been knitting it on the weekends, and when I do, I get a lot done! I'm on my third ball of yarn, and I've just started the waist cables. This weekend is another wedding, so I'll be able to knit in the car for a while.

BostonBecca
06-13-2007, 11:24 PM
I posted pics of my Tempting on my blog. I am so close to being done. About 2 more inches to go! Yay! I need to find a good ribbon for it however, and I am not sure of the color to choose.

heykaren
06-14-2007, 04:16 PM
Hey Becca - just checked out your tempting on your blog - way to go girl!!!! I forgot you were making longer sleeves and couldn `t figure out what was taking you so long. :?? I would go with a pale purple ribbon, unless you want to be a bit wild, in which case I would go with pistachio green! ( LOVE purple and green together - match them whenever I can in quilts...) Say " Hey! " to the Hartford area for me - I used to live there before we moved to Spain. Would love to get back there for a bit....

Psammeadred - youre cookin as well! Cant wait to see finished pix!!!!

Karen

PixieKnits
06-17-2007, 02:58 AM
I am so excited, im on the body of my top down raglan for my son, it should go fairly quick now that im done with the Raglan part!!

BostonBecca
06-17-2007, 10:23 AM
That's awesome Pixie, I can't wait to see pictures of your progress.

Thanks for the ribbon suggestions. A pistachio green ribbon may be just what this sweater needs, and I can always switch it out later if I am not into the color.

Thanks for the congrats too, those sleeves seemed to take forever, but they were well worth it I think.

I have under an inch to go!

Makana
06-17-2007, 10:25 AM
Hello Everyone,
I really need this KAL. I am knitting or should I say not knitting the Shapely Tee pattern. I started it in a knit your first sweater class. I have stalled out. I have not worked on it for a month. I have finished the front and most of the back. I don't know why I do this to myself. After I get the hang of new technique I just loose steam. I had to start over several times before I got Short Rows. Now I just have no interest in finishing. BAD KNITTER.

I was thinking that since I have not knit on the Shapely Tee for so long that it might be a good idea to beginning knitting a sleeve before I go back to the back. My reasoning is my gauge might be different so if I warm up on the sleeve it would not be as noticable as it might be in the middle of the back?

What do you think? Or am I just inventing another stall?

Paula in NC,
http://makana.wordpress.com/

ArtLady1981
06-17-2007, 05:50 PM
Hi there one and all! :waving:

I am back from the wilderness trip a day early. I am stealing some time to go over email...but have to get ready soon for a thing we are going to in about an hour...and I am sitting here in my jammies and rollers. :pout:

I will post more later! As promised, I took a photo of me...knitting on our bluff on Nighthawk Summit...just a few steps from main camp!

First photo is me...knittin...and the other photo is my knitting "view".

It was hard to stay focused. Only got 15 crazy quilt patches done. kept getting distracted :eyes: with photos, filming, dogs, hiking, and of course...DH.

Talk to ya all later! :wink:

Mulderknitter
06-17-2007, 08:53 PM
What a beautiful knitting view! I wish I could wake up every morning and have my coffee and that as a view to knit by! So jealous!:muah:
I sure hope you had fun, and I think the fact that you only knit 15 squares means you were probably too busy having fun to knit!
Welcome back!

PixieKnits
06-17-2007, 09:12 PM
Ok i finished a few more rows past the putting the arms on holders so you could see the body better! :)

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a250/pixielinds/100_2653.jpg

ArtLady1981
06-18-2007, 02:37 AM
Ok i finished a few more rows past the putting the arms on holders so you could see the body better! :)

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a250/pixielinds/100_2653.jpg

Hi Pixie! Great progress! I really love how the variegated colors are pooling and distributing themselves! I just love knitting with multi-color yarns! So fun and interesting, especially on st st. Thanks for the beautiful photo!

ArtLady1981
06-18-2007, 02:40 AM
What a beautiful knitting view! I wish I could wake up every morning and have my coffee and that as a view to knit by! So jealous!:muah:
I sure hope you had fun, and I think the fact that you only knit 15 squares means you were probably too busy having fun to knit!
Welcome back!

Hi Mulder! Yup, we had fun alright! My days were filled with distractions! I was hoping to get at least 4 squares completed per day...but, alas...no way! I was doing good to get 2 per day...sometimes 3!

madametj
06-18-2007, 05:43 PM
i can wait to join this thread! :woohoo:

Hopefully i'll be able to pick up some yarn for Hot Lava (http://www.bluealvarez.com/bluealva/patterns/hotlava.html) this week (whether i get started on it or not is another story:teehee:)

I'll be making this sweater in Caron SS, hopefully two 6 oz. skeins should do it.

i finally CO today!:happydancing:

would you all disown me if i told you i was making a $4.14 cardigan?:teehee:

PixieKnits
06-18-2007, 07:19 PM
woohooo!!

BostonBecca
06-20-2007, 11:44 AM
Welcome MadameTJ, how is that sweater coming along?

Please keep us updated!

madametj
06-20-2007, 12:51 PM
Welcome MadameTJ, how is that sweater coming along?

Please keep us updated!

i never even finished one round, i'm so consumed with my other WIPS!:oops:

PixieKnits
06-20-2007, 01:41 PM
LOL it always happens that way, just keep on it and you'll soon get there! :D

BostonBecca
06-21-2007, 08:20 AM
The good news? I am *this close* to finishing my Tempting. About 10-12 more rounds.

The bad news? I went back to the mainland for my Boy's sister's high school graduation and t find an apartment for us this past weekend and I took the tempting and unfortunately left it in my apartment there! I'm not going back there until the last two weeks of July! It's torture being so close to being done and not being able to finish it right up!

Therefore, to deal with the frustration, I cast on last night for the baby blanket I was planning on starting when I had Tempting done.

I did mostly finish another project last night. It's a scarf and I have knit all of it, but you drop the even stitches when you are done knitting and rip them all the way down to the bottom, it's taking a while to rip, but is creating a beautiful elongated stockinette scarf. There will be pictures later on my blog and more info about the apartment we found. It's gorgeous, brand new, 930 square feet for a one bedroom with living room and a den, and is in an amazing building. We got a great deal too, to bring it into our price range. So, I have good things balancing out the incredible frustration I feel right now with myself over leaving Tempting in my current apartment.

Teeka
06-21-2007, 12:22 PM
Is it too late to join you all? I want to do a first sweater, though Tempting doesn't seem like a style that would look very good on my and I want to make DS something to wear, and I think I need help! I want to pick the yarn and pattern carefully, and I'm not sure if I can/should start here in Bogot where I really can't get wool or buy materials online and start in a month when I get home to the US. :shrug: I know it will go better and be more fun if I had a group to work with, but you are all probably going to be done soon.

Anyone up for a second round starting in July?

BostonBecca
06-21-2007, 12:40 PM
Please join in when you get back to the states. My intention was that this would continue as long as people are posting about their first sweaters.

I will probably continue to post about the sweaters I continue to make.

ArtLady1981
06-21-2007, 04:03 PM
Is it too late to join you all? I want to do a first sweater, though Tempting doesn't seem like a style that would look very good on my and I want to make DS something to wear, and I think I need help! I want to pick the yarn and pattern carefully, and I'm not sure if I can/should start here in Bogot where I really can't get wool or buy materials online and start in a month when I get home to the US. :shrug: I know it will go better and be more fun if I had a group to work with, but you are all probably going to be done soon.

Anyone up for a second round starting in July?

Hi Teeka!

Welcome to our Thread! We won't abandon you! This thread has had great appeal to many 1st time sweater knitters! We should keep it rollin'!

I am a veteran sweater knitter, and I love participating in this thread as a helper/mentor! I started the TEMPTING top...but...had to sideline it for a bit in order to finish other pressing WIP's. My TEMPTING is off-white, so I can only work on it at home...and my KHAKI CABLES cardigan is my "at home project" right now! (the thread (http://knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/showthread.php?t=59483) is posted in WHAT'CHA KNITTING)

Teeka, tell us: what style of sweater do you think would look good on you? Pullover? Cardigan? Short-sleeves? Long-sleeves? Over the hips? Cropped to the waist? Turtleneck? V-neck? Scoop neck? Loose, baggy fit? Medium fit? Close fit?

If you tell us what features you like, we will go to work for you and present some pattern options.

My general advice for a 1st sweater is:
1) one color throughout (no intarsia, etc.)
2) pullover (no cardigans with buttonholes, etc.)
3) sleeves adjoining body with the style that is called "dropped shoulder" (not set-in; not raglan)
4) knit in flat pieces (not in the round)
5) knit from the bottom up (not top down)

And, what type of climate do you live in? I live in a climate (the Pacific Northwest) that has weather suitable for all sorts of sweaters! Long sleeves, short sleeves, sleeveless, wools, cottons! We have 4 distinct seasons. But, many folks live in climates that would never allow for long-sleeved, wool sweaters!

Another thing: any of us who wants to advance to a 2nd, 3rd or 4th sweater, but still likes to have the help and support...you could also start your own thread in WHATCHA KNITTING...and we will help you specifically with that project! Just let us know HERE at this thread...so we can find ya! :thumbsup:

lissalue
06-21-2007, 06:49 PM
I am about to start my first sweater with sleeves and my second without. i will probably need some help with both, so i will definitely be hanging around for a long while. i never have gotten that picture from my mom to show my first sweater. :pout: but i will definitely get pictures of my next ones. right now the pattern for the sleeved sweater is in the air, but for the sleeveless, i am doing the Shapely Tank (http://www.whiteliesdesigns.com/patterns/lpullovers/fbc.html)

PixieKnits
06-21-2007, 07:32 PM
wooohoo... wait.. does the fact that my first sweater is a raglan mean im...DARING! LOL

ArtLady1981
06-21-2007, 08:00 PM
I am about to start my first sweater with sleeves and my second without. i will probably need some help with both, so i will definitely be hanging around for a long while. i never have gotten that picture from my mom to show my first sweater. :pout: but i will definitely get pictures of my next ones. right now the pattern for the sleeved sweater is in the air, but for the sleeveless, i am doing the Shapely Tank (http://www.whiteliesdesigns.com/patterns/lpullovers/fbc.html)

Hi Lissalue! Thanks for the link! I actually SAVED it to my favorites! I like the neckline! I like the fact that it is not low-cut! And the straps are not too skinny! Thanks again!!!:happydance:

MFuentes
06-24-2007, 04:28 AM
Hi All! I think I'd like to join in this fun! I'm a college student and on the fifth day of my summer job as a camp counselor, I broke my leg! (Nothing exciting, just slipped and fell... silly me!!) So, now I'm at home recovering with nothing but time to knit (and read knittinghelp.com forums, it seems). I'm thinking about starting with: http://www.knitpicks.com/Plain+Vanilla+Pullover_PD50559220.html
There's a small charge for the patten, but it looks like a great starter project. What do you guys think?

Thanks!

BostonBecca
06-24-2007, 08:59 AM
First off, Welcome! I am so sorry to hear about your leg and your summer plans. Will you go back to the camp once you are in a walking cast? I broke my leg when I was in middle school and had to be in a wheelchair for three days and on crutches for another week and a half and I know how annoying it can be to not be able to do much. I wish I had known how to knit back then.

That looks like a very nice and simple and easy to do sweater!

Just so you have options:
I also recommend Tempting (it's very easy!) http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEwinter04/PATTtempting.html
If you would like help choosing yarn to substitute on that one, we can help!

I also would suggest looking through the first pages of this post for the sweaters we all considered and searching through the archives of Knitty for sweaters.

ArtLady1981
06-24-2007, 11:02 PM
Hi All! I think I'd like to join in this fun! I'm a college student and on the fifth day of my summer job as a camp counselor, I broke my leg! (Nothing exciting, just slipped and fell... silly me!!) So, now I'm at home recovering with nothing but time to knit (and read knittinghelp.com forums, it seems). I'm thinking about starting with: http://www.knitpicks.com/Plain+Vanilla+Pullover_PD50559220.html
There's a small charge for the patten, but it looks like a great starter project. What do you guys think?

Thanks!

Hi Michelle! Welcome to our Sweater Train! I like the Plain Vanilla pullover! I don't think it would be too difficult for your 1st sweater. By the time you finish it, it will be cool weather again...sorry, where did you say you are from? :teehee: Well, if you must be from a place that long sleeved sweaters are worn sometimes!

My best advice: try to use yarn that is about the gauge called for. AND, do a gauge swatch before launching into the sweater. First try the needle size recommended. If your gauge swatch is perfect the first time, lucky you! If not, try another needle size and re-do the swatch. Better to spend a little time upfront until your gauge is "down pat"...than to be forced to frog the entire sweater when you find out it is too big...or too tight! Now THAT is a waste of time and energy! (been there, done that!)

PixieKnits
06-25-2007, 02:50 PM
I am so happy to announce, i am seriously like 3 inches from being done the body of my sons sweater, then i can do the arms!

ArtLady1981
06-25-2007, 04:25 PM
I am so happy to announce, i am seriously like 3 inches from being done the body of my sons sweater, then i can do the arms!

:cheering::cheering::cheering:So get off this computer and get in there girl! :cheering::cheering::cheering:
We wanna see your sweater photos sometime today!

Seriously, you must be so excited! It really is a great sweater and we all love your color choice! So git!

PixieKnits
06-26-2007, 07:02 PM
So it took me a little longer than i had expected, since i felt horrible late last night, so its done now, well minus the sleeves! :)

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a250/pixielinds/100_2691.jpg

ArtLady1981
06-26-2007, 07:43 PM
So it took me a little longer than i had expected, since i felt horrible late last night, so its done now, well minus the sleeves! :)

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a250/pixielinds/100_2691.jpg

Hi Pixie! :waving:

I just love the way the colors distributed! :cheering: Thanks for sharing the photo!

lissalue
06-26-2007, 09:41 PM
great job pixie!! it is gorgeous!!! :inlove:

BostonBecca
06-26-2007, 10:11 PM
Yay Pixie! It looks great!

I can't wait to get my hands on my sweater again and finish it.

I did a swatch for a Thermal last night and blocked it but the guage is off with the 2.5US/3mm needle I ordered for it so I ordered a 3US needle today for it. I'll reswatch as soon as I get it and hopefully get guage.

Purl
07-04-2007, 12:41 PM
Hey Pixie! That looks fantastic!

I'm still here, and still working on my sweater, also raglan top down, and so far it's going great. As soon as I can get new batteries for my camera I will post a pic!

ElenTikvah
07-04-2007, 03:46 PM
I'd love to join here, if I might...I've just cast-on my first sweater, and I'm really looking forward to completing it! I'm using this yarn (http://www.elann.com/productdisp.asp?NAME=Katia+Jet&Season=&Company=&Cat=&ProductType=5&OrderBy=&Count=8) to make Green Gable (http://www.zephyrstyle.com/catalog/item.cfm/2367447/2628822)...and I'm really excited!

~Tik

BostonBecca
07-04-2007, 04:12 PM
Of course you can join ElenTikvah! Welcome to the KAL! Green Gable is such a gorgeous sweater. I can't wait to see how it turns out!

BostonBecca
07-11-2007, 02:06 PM
I swatched again for my second sweater. My guage was again off, but this time only by 2 extra stitches instead of 4. I am now swatching again with size 4s for Thermal. That's 1.5 sizes bigger than called for in the pattern. Oh well, apparently the designer knits very loosely and I knit very tightly. Good thing I ordered extra yarn. Hopefully the third time is the charm.

I wonder if I can sew the two cute little swatches together and make a little bag to hold my stitch markers. Could be a good use of them.

psammeadred
07-23-2007, 09:55 PM
My Cable-Down Raglan is coming along - and wonder of wonders, IT FITS!!!! Yay for gauge swatches! I hope to finish the sleeves by the end of the week.

Oh, and the thing hanging out of my armpit is the waste yarn I used to hold the arm stitches. (Seriously.)

lissalue
07-23-2007, 10:03 PM
That is beautiful!! :inlove:

I am glad you explained the armpit thing. :roflhard::roflhard::roflhard:

ArtLady1981
07-24-2007, 05:40 AM
My Cable-Down Raglan is coming along - and wonder of wonders, IT FITS!!!! Yay for gauge swatches! I hope to finish the sleeves by the end of the week.

Oh, and the thing hanging out of my armpit is the waste yarn I used to hold the arm stitches. (Seriously.)

What a beautiful sweater! You should be very proud of yourself!
:thumbsup: Congratulations!!!! :thumbsup:

BostonBecca
07-24-2007, 09:19 PM
Wow, that looks amazing!

Way to go, it's great!

redheadrachel
07-24-2007, 10:03 PM
I have been trying to make my first sweater, but it's going none too smoothly. It's actually the only thing I've not enjoyed knitting, just because I cannot seem to keep my gauge consistent. I am going to need a lot of moral support just to keep from giving up... I neeeeeeed to join this first sweater KAL! :notworthy:

BostonBecca
07-24-2007, 10:06 PM
Welcome RedHeadRachel, we are here to support!

lissalue
07-24-2007, 10:20 PM
yes, even those of us who have already finished our first sweater would be mo9re than happy to help you out and :poke:you into sticking with it. :teehee:

clsimmons
07-25-2007, 12:48 PM
Hi all. I'm so glad I found y'all. Just moved to a new area--Elizabeth City, NC and don't know any knitters in this area yet. No knitting guild here, no yarn shops, called the art gallery, craftsman guild,etc--you name it! But I'm not giving up hope.
My dilema ?sp: I'm doing the left front of a cardigan and starting the armhole
and the instructions say:
"bind off 6 stitches. Decrease on the arm hole edge 5 times."
My question: I don't decrease at the 'front edge' right? So, basically I'm decreasing eor,right?
Catherine=knittingram

clsimmons
07-25-2007, 12:48 PM
sorry about that
catherine

ArtLady1981
07-25-2007, 01:24 PM
Hi all. I'm so glad I found y'all. Just moved to a new area--Elizabeth City, NC and don't know any knitters in this area yet. No knitting guild here, no yarn shops, called the art gallery, craftsman guild,etc--you name it! But I'm not giving up hope.
My dilema ?sp: I'm doing the left front of a cardigan and starting the armhole
and the instructions say:
"bind off 6 stitches. Decrease on the arm hole edge 5 times."
My question: I don't decrease at the 'front edge' right? So, basically I'm decreasing eor,right?
Catherine=knittingram

Hi Catherine! :waving:

Yes, that would be my experienced guess! For example...
(RS facing)on Row 1 of the armhole shaping: Bind off the 6.....then on Rows 3,5,7,9,11: dec 1 at the armhole edge.

For the Right Front...WS facing...repeat the same armhole shaping.

Some sweater patterns will also include specific directions for the neckline shaping "while at the same time...do this and that"...

But, it doesn't sound like you are facing 'neckline shaping' with this sweater. If you ever do...make notes in a tablet...make notes about the shaping and decreasing that should be performed on each specific row.

I just make a list, starting with Row 1 (the first row of the armhole), Row 2:____ Row 3:____ Row 4:____ Row 5:____....etc....and write for each row what should be done.

For example, for your Left Front, armhole shaping would occur with RS facing...Rows 1,3,5,7,9,...and neckline shaping would occur with WS facing...so Rows 8,10,12,14,16....as neckline shaping doesn't occur at the armpit...usually a little further up.

Making notes in a tablet will help you keep track...and it becomes your "work order". All the years I have been knitting...I still do this tablet thing. AND, I never throw the tablets away. I keep my notes. I don't scribble up my patterns...except maybe to highlight in yellow the numbers when there are multiple numbers for multiple sizes.

I have been known to knit a favorite pattern again!

clsimmons
07-25-2007, 02:25 PM
Great explanation. Understand. My next question:
Then why does it say 'decrease eor 2 times' after the decreasing for 5 rows (which you are already decreasing every other row, right)? Then after that it says, to decrease every 4 fol row. I'm thinking it's all talking about the WS (public side) right?

clsimmons
07-25-2007, 02:25 PM
I meant the RS (public side)

clsimmons
07-25-2007, 02:31 PM
Before I go to the library, hopefully you will have been able to suggest a name of a good sweater book. I'm so excited about finishing this sweater--wait until you see it!! It's from Louisa Harding's 'Modern Classics'. I'm doing the panelled sweater.
Ps I'm getting a notebook

ArtLady1981
07-25-2007, 02:55 PM
Great explanation. Understand. My next question:
Then why does it say 'decrease eor 2 times' after the decreasing for 5 rows (which you are already decreasing every other row, right)? Then after that it says, to decrease every 4 fol row. I'm thinking it's all talking about the WS (public side) right?

I don't know. But, maybe the pattern has an error or omission.

Decreasing for the armhole shaping is more dramatic for the first few inches...then the decreasing is more gradual as you work your way up the armhole.

So, get out your tablet, and make that Rows 1-30 list...and write it out.

Row 1: Bind off 6
Row 2: work even
Row 3: Dec 1 at armhole edge (here are the first 5 mentioned)
Row 4: work even
Row 5: Dec 1 at armhole edge
Row 6: work even
Row 7: Dec 1 at armhole edge
Row 8: work even
Row 9: Dec 1 at armhole edge
Row 10: work even
Row 11: Dec 1 at armhole edge
Row 12: work even
Row 13: Dec 1 at armhole edge (these are the other 2)
Row 14: work even
Row 15: Dec 1 at armhole edge
Row 16: work even
Row 17: work even
Row 18: work even
Row 19: Dec 1 at armhole edge (these are the every foll 4th row decreases)
Row 20: work even
Row 21: work even
Row 22: work even
Row 23: Dec 1 at armhole edge

etc.

The directions should tell you to decrease every following 4th row until there are ____ stitches remaining.

Why don'tcha write out the blow-by-blow directions for me...exactly as the pattern says...word for word...no paraphrasing...and I will wrap my mind around them...and between the two of us...we will get this armhole shaping figured out. I don' mind if you don't mind!

The tablet and the list is very important to keep the "work order" clear.

Remember, too, some patterns...in fact, MANY patterns, have something missing, or something wrong.:pout: Sometimes you can visit their website and you can find a "corrections" link...and they may have some help there for their boo-boo's.

clsimmons
07-26-2007, 11:20 AM
Your row by row explanation is exactly what the directions say:
Keeping in patt, dec1 st at armhole edge of next 5 rows, then on EOR twice, then on every foll 4th row until 34 sts rem.
The next part 'shape neck' should be the same. Its says, (WS): BO 10 sts at beg of next row:25sts.
Dec1 st at neck edge on next 5 rows, then on EOR 2 times, and then on foll 4th row: 17 sts.
Then 'Shape shoulder': BO 8 sts at beg of next row.
Work 1 row even
BO rem 9 sts.
Now, I know how to actually write out the instructions until I can readily understand.
My attempt at attaching a pic of my completed back failed.

I'm wanting to purchase a couple of good books on sweater construction-Knit Picks has a good sale going on. Any suggestions?
Catherine (PS) my little library is pretty deficient in the knitting category.:X:

ArtLady1981
07-26-2007, 12:40 PM
Your row by row explanation is exactly what the directions say:
Keeping in patt, dec1 st at armhole edge of next 5 rows, then on EOR twice, then on every foll 4th row until 34 sts rem.
The next part 'shape neck' should be the same. Its says, (WS): BO 10 sts at beg of next row:25sts.
Dec1 st at neck edge on next 5 rows, then on EOR 2 times, and then on foll 4th row: 17 sts.
Then 'Shape shoulder': BO 8 sts at beg of next row.
Work 1 row even
BO rem 9 sts.
Now, I know how to actually write out the instructions until I can readily understand.
My attempt at attaching a pic of my completed back failed.

I'm wanting to purchase a couple of good books on sweater construction-Knit Picks has a good sale going on. Any suggestions?
Catherine (PS) my little library is pretty deficient in the knitting category.:X:

Hi Catherine! :waving:

Just to get you started then...here is how I read the "work order":

Row 1: Bind off 6
Row 2: Dec 1 at arm edge
Row 3: Dec 1 at arm edge
Row 4: Dec 1 at arm edge
Row 5: Dec 1 at arm edge
Row 6: Dec 1 at arm edge
Row 7: Work row even, no decreasing
Row 8: Dec 1 at arm edge
Row 9: Work row even, no decreasing
Row 10: Dec 1 at arm edge
Row 11: Work row even, no decreasing
Row 12: Work row even, no decreasing
Row 13: Work row even, no decreasing
Row 14: Dec 1 at arm edge
Row 15: Work row even, no decreasing
Row 16: Work row even, no decreasing
Row 17: Work row even, no decreasing
Row 18: Dec 1 at arm edge
ETC
ETC
ETC
...and continue decreasing 1 every 4th row at the arm edge until 34 stitches remain.

When the subheading for the SHAPE NECK comes into play, start entering that information on your row-by-row "work order".

For example, here is what one of those "double-duty" rows would look like:
Row X: Dec 1 at arm edge AND neckline edge.

There are lots of knitters who don't need to write out the row-by-row instructions...they just wing it :knitting:along their merry way...but not me.:pout: I write it out to SEE IT and see how it will play out. I have been knitting since 1970! It is just a matter of preference. My way prevents errors and pattern misunderstandings. I'll tell ya, 50% of garment knitting is deciphering the pattern instructions and 50% is the execution! Some patterns are more ambiguous than others! There are a few designers that I won't touch with a ten foot pole! Their instructions (or lack of) are horrid, taking all the joy out of the knitting!

I hope I have helped you out! Let me know if I can be of any further assistance! Happy Knitting! :muah:

clsimmons
07-26-2007, 02:37 PM
Thanks a bunch!!
Bye for now

clsimmons
07-27-2007, 11:28 AM
Here is (I hope) a photo of the sweater in a book and then the completed back. I've also just completed the left front with the help of Artlady and now have just started on the right front
catherine
the book is Louisa Harding's 'Modern Classics'
How can you upload more than one URL?

clsimmons
07-27-2007, 11:30 AM
Here is the back--it was too large of a file and I reduced it.

ArtLady1981
07-27-2007, 02:53 PM
Here is the back--it was too large of a file and I reduced it.

Hi clsimmons!:waving:

What beautiful work! I love your color choice! Thanks for taking the time to post photos! WOW! Now THAT is a sweater I would like to make! Very simple, but lots of "style" as well!!! I just LOVE IT!!!!:heart:

You are appreciated! :grphug:Thanks for joining us here at KH!

BTW, did you mention what yarn you used? It looks soft!

clsimmons
07-28-2007, 09:15 AM
The yarn is Berroco's Bonsai in color #4141-a stunning paprika color. It's a blend of 97%Bamboo and 3%nylon. I went to a YS in Baltimore in search of buttons and the ladies loved this yarn. They actually had it in their store with a sweater sample that came with it but the feel was so much stiffer and no sheen,etc.. The gauge was really tight making it feel 'hard'. That showed me how gauge can change the 'hand' of the fabric. I plan on wearing a black linen skirt so I want buttons with a little balck in them. Of course, I need jewelry to match ha ha ha . We girls have fun, don't we?:happydance: