PDA

View Full Version : CROCHETERS: do you think you could make one of these?

madametj
04-24-2007, 06:31 PM
http://www.ecoist.com/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=77&idproduct=2934

I LOVE LOVE LOVE this bag. the description says that is it hand crocheted. I may have to buy one just to see how its made so I can make some for my friends. plus my teacher collects coke tabs so she has literally huge bucketfuls of them in the classroom. (maybe if she saw the bag i could convince her to give me 200 tabs to make a bag out of :eyebrow:)

so anyways if any of you think you make have the slightest idea of how these are made, please give me a hint.

Thanks!

Jenelle
04-24-2007, 07:02 PM
Looks like the tabs are hooked together with rings or wire.

madametj
04-24-2007, 07:30 PM
hmm, i still think they're crocheted together...

Jenelle
04-24-2007, 07:33 PM
Oh, I guess it is crocheted.

Carry it as a coin purse inside a shoulder bag or alone as a tiny clutch; itís just big enough to hold your car keys, cell phone, cash and a lipstick. Hand crocheted with 200 recycled aluminum pop-tops. Comes with nylon fabric liner and YKK zipper closure.

I have no idea how you would do it though.

Jan in CA
04-24-2007, 07:34 PM
I'm fairly certain that it's some type of wire. I don't think yarn wouldn't hold up well with that metal.

ETA: just read the above post about it being crocheted. My answer then is no I wouldn't do it. Very clever though!

segundoloteian
04-24-2007, 07:39 PM
Whoa! That is amazingly cool. I confess, I rather want one, too...maybe even enough to learn to crochet.

Just looking at it, I think a metallic silver novelty thread is used, looping in the tabs (that much, I'm sure, is rather obvious).

From playing with a crochet hook and a stitch holder for two minutes, I think it may be analogous to knitting with beads, perhaps threading tabs a few at a time and working circularly from bottom to top?

madametj
04-24-2007, 09:32 PM
you may be right about the wire thing, but you should see how well their candy wrapper bags hold up!

I wonder what stich they used :?? its hard to tell much from just a picture.

Mariblue
04-24-2007, 09:40 PM
That's clever.
I'm not an expert at crochet, but I would hold two pop tabs together, so that they are one on top of the other so the two holes would be aligned, and you could simply stick the crochet hook through, draw up the wire, and pull it through the loop to chain them together. Do the same in the next holes. Then you'd grab two more pop tabs, and continue chaining them together. When you are done, you can open up the two sides and lay them flat. On one side would be the crochet chain, on the other, the loop, like what you see in the picture.
Kind of like how you'd crochet the squares of a blanket together.
Does that make sense? :??
Oh, and you'd want a finer gauge metal wire, like jewelry wire.
If you try this, post some pics so we can see!
ETA: On closer inspection, I agree that it looks like some kind of stretchy silver novelty thread too. :teehee:

madametj
04-24-2007, 09:48 PM
That's clever.
I'm not an expert at crochet, but I would hold two pop tabs together, so that they are one on top of the other so the two holes would be aligned, and you could simply stick the crochet hook through, draw up the wire, and pull it through the loop to chain them together. Do the same in the next holes. Then you'd grab two more pop tabs, and continue chaining them together. When you are done, you can open up the two sides and lay them flat. On one side would be the crochet chain, on the other, the loop, like what you see in the picture.
Kind of like how you'd crochet the squares of a blanket together.
Does that make sense? :??
Oh, and you'd want a finer gauge metal wire, like jewelry wire.
If you try this, post some pics so we can see!
ETA: On closer inspection, I agree that it looks like some kind of stretchy silver novelty thread too. :teehee:

I think I know what you mean. know i'm starting to wonder, if it is yarn, what weight is it?

purlwise
04-24-2007, 09:59 PM
I don't think it is wire myself. Looks like a silver yarn/thread probably with nylon. To me it looks like you would do as the previous indicated in holding the tabs together, but to me it looks like you would be holding 2 strands of thread together to get the look of 4 strands around each tab. Also on closer inspection if you look at the purse from the left to right you can see the tabs are over lapped the same way, until you get to the last three "columns" on the right where they over lap the opposite way, prehaps to make that side "rounder" You would definitely have to make it in two pieces I think. hmmm, love a problem, going to raid the recycle bin to find some pop tops. I don't think mine have two holes though, I will have to look. I'll be back.

Inis
04-24-2007, 11:11 PM
Oh that is a cool bag! I'm going to have to try it myself. Now to convince hubby to save his tabs ;)

It does look like a metalic yarn or thread. But it doesn't look like the tabs are threaded on the yarn before hand.

Rather it looks like they are linked together with simple stitches as you go along.

mwedzi
04-25-2007, 09:01 AM
I can't tell totally from the pic, so I have to guess about what happens after you join any 2 particular tabs. Surely, you can join them by holding them together and just slip stitching around the both of them a few times, but you don't want to have to cut the thread each time. So my guess is that after you have slip stitched or sc'ed around a pair of tabs a couple times to join, you just chain 2 or 3 behind one tab, then add the next tab and sl st around it and the previous tab. And continue on. Hmm, I have some silver metallic yarn I picked up in South Africa, 2 balls, no idea what to do with it. Maybe . . .

jmp3775
04-25-2007, 09:05 AM
http://www.ecoist.com/pc/viewCat_h.asp?idCategory=41

Says here they are woven together and the lining is crocheted.

kblue
04-25-2007, 11:26 AM
I can see a person crocheting this together it seems possible :thinking:
Now i totally want to give it a try because it looks really interesting, plus, we drink lots of soda...i know it's bad...and i could do a test swatch :teehee:

PinkRoses
04-25-2007, 11:48 AM
http://www.ecoist.com/confetti.asp

This one kind of grabbed my attention. I remember when we were kids (mid. 70's) we would make stuff kind of like this.

amy
04-25-2007, 12:39 PM
Ooh, cool bag! What a great site.

Mariblue's instructions sound like they'd work well. I bet you could go to a bottle redemption center and they'd let you help yourself to the tabs. Would you need wire clippers to cut them free?

Let us know if you make it Madametj!

KathyinCali
04-25-2007, 03:50 PM
JMO I think it is just slipped stitched together from what I can tell :shrug:

It is very pretty and different!

madametj
04-25-2007, 08:56 PM
i'm hearing so many different ideas, i think i maybe be more confused than b4!

Carla1019
04-25-2007, 09:18 PM
http://www.craftbits.com/viewProject.do?projectID=820

I love the bag. I did a google screach on "How to" and found the above link.

purlwise
04-25-2007, 09:48 PM
If you go to the original link posted on the bag, and then click the option to look at other tab bags there is a shoulder bag with a long strap, if you zoom in on the strap part it actually shows the underside of the strap or the crocheted side. Looks like all single crochets to me with a double stranded sturdy cotton thread in silver. I think that you just do a single crochet around two tabs together like you would add a bead, I really think it is a simple as that. I only have about 3 tabs right now, but I will collect some more and give it a try. I do not believe that are crocheting with wire, you would not want the underside of the shoulder strap crocheted with anything but thread, so it can rest comfortably of the shoulder. I will say that they must do someting to the tabs, mine have tiny sharp edges, so they must some how get rid of those without disturbing the integrity of the tab. Just my thoughts.

madametj
04-25-2007, 10:22 PM
http://www.craftbits.com/viewProject.do?projectID=820

I love the bag. I did a google screach on "How to" and found the above link.

thats a gr8 link, Carla. Interesting how it seems all they did was thread it instead of crocheting.

madametj
04-25-2007, 10:26 PM
If you go to the original link posted on the bag, and then click the option to look at other tab bags there is a shoulder bag with a long strap, if you zoom in on the strap part it actually shows the underside of the strap or the crocheted side. Looks like all single crochets to me with a double stranded sturdy cotton thread in silver. I think that you just do a single crochet around two tabs together like you would add a bead, I really think it is a simple as that. I only have about 3 tabs right now, but I will collect some more and give it a try. I do not believe that are crocheting with wire, you would not want the underside of the shoulder strap crocheted with anything but thread, so it can rest comfortably of the shoulder. I will say that they must do someting to the tabs, mine have tiny sharp edges, so they must some how get rid of those without disturbing the integrity of the tab. Just my thoughts.

i took a look at that pic, and after zooming in, it really looks like some type of thread, as you mentioned

Quiltlady
04-26-2007, 12:40 PM
I can't believe I'm saying this but that actually is a pretty bag!! :teehee: