PDA

View Full Version : THE best needles are?

1knittychick
04-24-2007, 08:34 PM
I have a question for all of you seasoned knitters. Do you prefer one type of needle over another? Asking because I am thinking of changing all my needles to bamboo. I purchased some at a Hancock's store that is closing (40-50% off) and I like them so much. Let me know your opinions.

Jan in CA
04-24-2007, 08:40 PM
I think a lot of people use different needle types for different things. I prefer bamboo DPNs, but Addis or KP Options for regular circs. I don't use straights anymore at all. Or rarely I should say.

carmabelle1191
04-24-2007, 09:13 PM
I wouldn't go all out and buy all of the bamboo needles you'll ever need, because certain needles work better with certain yarn. Your opinions might also change on the bamboo as times go on, and you might find them "slow" as you learn more and want to go faster.

Inis
04-24-2007, 11:23 PM
I'm finding that I use different needles depending on the yarn and the project.

For me, bamboo works well for slippery yarn or patterns with many cables (helps me keep the stitches on the needle!) For "sticky" yarns (fuzzy stuff) I like smooth plastic or a metal.

suzeeq
04-25-2007, 09:19 AM
Best needles for what? I don't think there's really a general all around good for everything needle. As some have mentioned, wood is good for slippery yarn, and metal for stickier yarn. Nylon is also good for slippery yarn. I've never used wood ones and as I have a large number of mostly metal with some nylon ones in all the sizes I use, I doubt I'll be buying any, unless I find some at a really good price in a size I use a lot.

sue

birdwomn
04-25-2007, 07:31 PM
overall basic multi-purpose needles: Denise Interchangable (they replace any broken or damaged parts no questions asked)

I agree with what others have said, I like to use different types of needles for different projects and yarn, but am a HUGE fan od circular needles and DPN.

Metal tends to be heavier, acrylic is good for inexpensive and lightweight, various woods for more slippery yarns....but overall, give me m Denise (they are resin, if I am not mistaken)

1knittychick
04-25-2007, 07:40 PM
Thanks for all the great information/advice.

Knitting_Guy
04-25-2007, 11:15 PM
hmmm, I can say with certainty that my least favorite needles are hypodermic.

snowbear
04-26-2007, 12:42 AM
Mason. oh groannnnnnnnnnnn lol.. but the syringes might be able to be used...lol... and some of those larger needles could be long enough to do some fine knitting, lol

Knitters can use almost anything to knit with, lol

nadja la claire
04-26-2007, 07:19 AM
I think a lot of people use different needle types for different things. I prefer bamboo DPNs, but Addis or KP Options for regular circs. I don't use straights anymore at all. Or rarely I should say.

Ditto, in fact I'm thinking of giving all or most of my straights to my best knitting friend who hates using circs.

:muah: :hug:

Nadja xxx

1knittychick
04-26-2007, 05:07 PM
Mason, thanks for the laugh. :roflhard: