PDA

View Full Version : Patons SWS

Ronda
04-25-2007, 05:59 AM
Has anyone else found that this yarn is hard to frog? I don't know how to explain it, but it seems to stick to itself. I've had to cut my yarn and/or start all over because I simply cannot frog this yarn. :-x

mimi
04-25-2007, 07:12 AM
Ronda, I just finished a soaker with SWS, and while it looks very pretty, I had to redo the kitchener stitch several times and yes, the yarn stuck to itself, and the stitch definition became more and more unclear. Moral : when using SWS be very careful.

vaknitter
04-25-2007, 07:13 AM
I made a booga bag out of it and didn't care for it at all. I very much understand what you mean about it sticking to itself. Didn't enjoy knitting with it and it super SHRUNK when I felted it.

I talked to my LYS and they said - Yup, that's what you get for buying Patons : )

SandraEllen
04-25-2007, 07:44 AM
I talked to my LYS and they said - Yup, that's what you get for buying Patons : )

well... i think that's unfair.

It's a feltable yarn and it's not plied at all. i think any yarnlike that would stick to itself a lot.

dustinac
04-25-2007, 08:26 AM
I have used it for a hat and Danica.. I love the way it looks and it is very soft to work with I thought.. that being said if you frog it a lot it will stick together I ran into this when I started Danica.. but I have seen other yarns do the same.. I think lamb's pride seems to as well...

I was wanting to do an Entrelac bag out of the Natural pink but read online first that you have to check SWS a lot when felting.. it felts very fast...only reason why I didn't continue with my plan was cause some had said the natural pink doesn't felt and keep the colors as bright as the other colors...I still think I might order a skein and do a test some time.. cause I think it would be very pretty...

psammeadred
04-25-2007, 08:38 AM
Since it's a single-ply yarn, it has a lot of loose fibers that felt themselves and stick to each other VERY easily. As long as you keep that in mind, it's a nice yarn.

marykz
04-25-2007, 08:47 AM
I just used ot to crochet a little bag as a gift, and to make a loose lacy scarf. The tight fabric of the crochet was much easier. It is a little too sticky and fuzzy for the scarf I wanted.

here's the bag:
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/175/472364922_1c4b58ddf6_d.jpg

SWS has pretty colorways, and will find its place in my yarn universe for the right projects....

Ronda
04-25-2007, 08:53 AM
Nice bag!

auburnchick
04-25-2007, 10:22 AM
I used it for calorimetry and loved the feel of it.

feministmama
04-25-2007, 10:37 AM
I must admit I :heart: this yarn. Its like knitting with a thin strand of roving. It so soft and pretty and I'm excited to hear it felts really good. I'm making a bag with it. I'm also making the candle flame shawl and I made an earflap hat with it. Yes it does stick to itself when frogging. It is a test of your patience and I find it a good meditation. If you can frog this stuff then you can face anything!

SabrinaJL
04-25-2007, 02:39 PM
I was wanting to do an Entrelac bag out of the Natural pink but read online first that you have to check SWS a lot when felting.. it felts very fast...only reason why I didn't continue with my plan was cause some had said the natural pink doesn't felt and keep the colors as bright as the other colors...I still think I might order a skein and do a test some time.. cause I think it would be very pretty...

I felted a little bag for my niece out of the natural pink and I really liked the way it turned out. But yes, it felts SUPER fast, so you can't walk away from it. Once I knew that, my booga came out great. Only half an inch off the actual measurements.

http://www.sabrinajl.com/knitting/swsbag3.jpg

dustinac
04-25-2007, 02:51 PM
:cheering: That is the first photo I have seen of one done and felted in the Natural pink.. so it didn't fade at all??

Thank you for the photo :happydance:

SabrinaJL
04-25-2007, 03:55 PM
Well, it definitely looks different after felting, but I don't think it faded much. I found some better pics on my comp for comparison.

http://sabrinajl.com/knitting/swsbag1.jpghttp://sabrinajl.com/knitting/swsbag2.jpg

nadja la claire
04-25-2007, 05:19 PM

well... i think that's unfair.

It's a feltable yarn and it's not plied at all. i think any yarnlike that would stick to itself a lot.

I've never used the SWS but I feel I must come to the defense of Paton's. I've used other Paton's yarns and I've really like them especially their Classic Merino, it's inexpensive, durable and it has very good stitch definition. Remember not all Paton's are the same.

:muah: :hug:

Nadja xxx

marykz
04-25-2007, 05:57 PM
that natural pink bag is so pretty!! I'm using what I have in the plum, but I'm going to try more.

dustinac
04-26-2007, 08:16 AM
:cheering: Thank you Sabrina!! :happydance:

dakatzmeow
04-26-2007, 10:06 AM
i love the patons merino too.

luv2knit
04-26-2007, 12:32 PM
[quote="SabrinaJL"]Well, it definitely looks different after felting, but I don't think it faded much. I found some better pics on my comp for comparison.

Thanks for posting those pictures. I am trying to finish up my booga bag in SWS, and I wasn't sure if I needed to make it taller, but now I am really glad it took me a week to get another skein of yarn. I have been to THREE Micheal's in my area and that is the one color that is always out of stock. I finally found 2 yesterday so I can finish! I do like the way it felts, glad to get the warnings about how fast it felts. :thumbsup:

SabrinaJL
04-26-2007, 02:40 PM
As I said, do NOT walk away from it. This natural pink bag really shrunk, but that was ok, because I was really just giving felting a try. So when I made my sister's Booga, I checked it every few minutes and it only took 10-12 minutes to felt completely.

KathyinCali
04-27-2007, 04:11 PM

I felted a little bag for my niece out of the natural pink and I really liked the way it turned out. But yes, it felts SUPER fast, so you can't walk away from it. Once I knew that, my booga came out great. Only half an inch off the actual measurements.

http://www.sabrinajl.com/knitting/swsbag3.jpg

I love your bag Sabrina. The colors are awesome :)