PDA

View Full Version : Anyone own NO SHEEP FOR ME book? looks interesting...

VictoiseC
04-25-2007, 05:47 PM
I'm just looking at this book on Amazon. (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/customer-images/1596680121/ref=cm_ciu_pdp_images_1/103-2539421-1659836?ie=UTF8&s=books&index=1#gallery) No wool is used in the patterns, just cotton, hemp, soy. Wondering if anyone loves the patterns?

marykz
04-25-2007, 06:10 PM
I looked at it in person at my LYS. there is a range of projects from easy to intricate. I didn't look at Every page, but I liked it enough to put it on my wish list for the next time I'm ordering. I liked the section where she talks about all the different fibers, and how they behave, and how to use them.

Sooooo while I don't own it, I want to! (that probably doesn't help one bit...)

Hildegard_von_Knittin
04-25-2007, 06:43 PM
I fell *in love* ith this book!!! There's 5 or 6 patterns in it that i am definitly going to make... in fact, the next one up for me is "tomato" which is the red (with white checks across bust) t-shirt towards the back of the book. I'm desperately trying to find yarn for Intoxicating (it;s green and purple mosaic style with lacy sleeves) that won't cost me an internal organ to make--the silk yarn I want to use would cost me over 350 bucks!!! :shock: I also want to make the blue cabled sweater (it uses rowan calmer which is heavenly), the silk hat, and the cables and Os cardigan.

Even if you're not interested in as many of the patterns, this is still an aesome book for all the info it gives at the beginning on how the "non-wooly" yarns are produced, what part of the plant they use (if any) and just a general overview of the process. Very facinating.

I own a LOT of knitting books, and no other book has so many designs i want to make. The best part is that the sizing is *very* generous!!!! Everything in the book can be made in my size, and I am one voluptuous knitter!!!

buy the book you know you want it :eyes: buy the book you know you want it :eyes: buy the book you know you want it :eyes: buy the book you know you want it :eyes: buy the book you know you want it :eyes: buy the book you know you want it :eyes: buy the book you know you want it :eyes: buy the book you know you want it :eyes: buy the book you know you want it :eyes: buy the book you know you want it :eyes: buy the book you know you want it :eyes: buy the book you know you want it :eyes: buy the book you know you want it :eyes: buy the book you know you want it :eyes: buy the book you know you want it :eyes: buy the book you know you want it :eyes: buy the book you know you want it :eyes: buy the book you know you want it :eyes: buy the book you know you want it :eyes: buy the book you know you want it :eyes: buy the book you know you want it :eyes: buy the book you know you want it :eyes: buy the book you know you want it :eyes: buy the book you know you want it :eyes: buy the book you know you want it :eyes:

jmp3775
04-25-2007, 07:34 PM
I ordered it from KnitPicks and returned it. Tomato was the only thing that I saw myself MAYBE wearing. Depends on your style. My current faves are Fitted Knits and Twinkle's Big City Knits.

Lyndalm
04-25-2007, 07:55 PM
I got it from the library. Loved the shawl, tomato, and the pair of socks. That was about all that was my "style". But the cable sweaters were lovely, but *way* out of my league.

Lynda M
1992-2006 Homer

jeanius80
04-25-2007, 09:58 PM
i have been thing thinking about buying this too.. my baby sister is alergic to animal fibers.. and it would be neat to have a whole book dedicated to using non animal fibers! :mrgreen:

phisch
04-25-2007, 10:16 PM
I've been thinking of asking my local library to get it so I can see the patterns in person.

Lieke
04-26-2007, 03:46 AM
I've got the book and it's great. It's got a lot of information about all sorts of non-wool fibers, some help with substituting wool yarn for non-wool yarn and a lot of nice patterns. Cables and O's is my favorite, but I like most of the patterns. If you are allergic to wool (like me) it's a book that is very valuable, because of all the information and finally some patterns that aren't designed for wool.

VictoiseC
04-26-2007, 08:52 AM
Thanks everybody! (Marykz it does help!)

Hildie you make me want this book immediately. Now that summer's here I feel like getting away from some of my wool. Funny, Jenn you mentioned Twinkle's book. I wast thinking of getting that instead (or also) but I read this review of that book on Amazon and this woman stated exactly what I was thinking: all the models are anorexic-herion-waifs and all the patterns are only up to a 38" chest. or smaller.

Glad you mentioned that Hildie about the patterns sizing. Ohhh I want to knit with silk! ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

I have a $25 credit at Amazon (for getting their charge card) so I need to order a couple books. Thanks again!

mulene
04-26-2007, 09:18 AM
I am buying it based on Hilde's glowing reference. My problem is ample boobage (and bellyage) so I'm always wary of buying books because they rarely meet my size.

I've just ordered from Amazon =D

sara_jayne
04-26-2007, 10:18 AM
I fell in love with Hildie's copy of the book this past weekend when she was here.....I'll be adding it to my library soon!

VictoiseC
04-26-2007, 04:20 PM
oh boy mulene, you're making me... antsy/jealous/in need to go buy this book right now.... think I'll go look at it again. And you liked it too saraj, hmmm. Thanks for the input!

Jan in CA
05-06-2007, 06:03 PM
I saw it in the bookstore last night and have no added it to my wishlist! :cheering:

mwedzi
05-07-2007, 09:59 AM
I have this book and am knitting a short sleeved cotton sweater (tomato) from it right now. I really like this book, lots of helpful and interesting info on non-wool yarns. None of these are mine, but here are some pics:

http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=tomato+no+sheep&m=text

mulene
05-08-2007, 10:34 AM
I got the book - I love love love love love it. Thank you for pointing it out =D

VictoiseC
05-08-2007, 11:18 AM
SO GLAD you reminded me of this book.... I forgot about it and now I"m going to GO GET IT! Thanks Mwedzi for posting that link, I was looking for a simple summer top like that. You're most welcome Mulene! Cheers! Vic

Lieke
05-09-2007, 03:45 AM
I'm going to knit "cables and o's". I'm totally in love with it. I just finished translating "bacardi" into dutch for my mom. She's going to knit that one, but doesn't read english, so I offered to translate it for her. I just LOVE the book!

DQ
05-09-2007, 05:46 AM
Added to my wish list!

VictoiseC
05-09-2007, 09:59 AM
Lieke! You have an amazing website/blogspot! I love the pictures (those socks are amazing). I feel like a dinosaur when I see such together sites as yours. Wow!

Lieke
05-10-2007, 03:16 AM
thanks victoise, you make me :oops: . I'm not that good with computers, this was all a trail and error thing. You just have to try it, it's not that hard.