PDA

View Full Version : My Very First Non-Scarf Project!!!

orange_popsicle
04-26-2007, 04:42 AM
I made this hat for my sister's baby, which is due in July. It's slightly HUGE as far as baby hats go, but luckily my sister has three other children with varying head sizes--it's bound to fit SOMEONE.

If anyone would like to explain the concept of gauging to me, I would be much obliged; I have a feeling my ignorance on that issue has something to do with my hat size problem.

Redlesley
04-26-2007, 06:59 AM
Great hat and colour combo!

carmabelle1191
04-26-2007, 07:34 AM
Ooh, pretty! Good job!

Ronda
04-26-2007, 08:01 AM
I love it, especially the top! How cute is that?!

marykz
04-26-2007, 08:50 AM
very cute colors- re: gauge you may need smaller needles next time. check Amy's pages above for gauge and try searching the topics... checking your gauge will tell you how many stitches/inch you get, which you compare with the pattern to make sure the finished produt will be the same size.....

dewdrops
04-26-2007, 09:53 AM
Cute hat! :cheering:

Abbily
04-26-2007, 09:58 AM
Very cute! :)

sara_jayne
04-26-2007, 10:08 AM
So adorable!

auburnchick
04-26-2007, 10:27 AM
Very cute! You did a really good job!

psammeadred
04-26-2007, 08:53 PM
Great job - love the blue and green together! What yarn did you use?

redwitch
04-27-2007, 07:30 AM
If I have a pattern for an adult hat that uses 80 stitches and you follow it, you need to get gauge. Using different sized needles or wool or both will change the size of your stitches, but even if you use the same wool and needles, you willl probably not get the same size stitches, because some people knit tightly, others loosely, some in between. So imagine you are a loose knitter.
On the same size needles and same wool I use, same stitch pattern, you will get bigger stitches because you tend to pull your wool more loosely. So my hat with 80 stitches may be the perfect size, but if you cast on 80 stitches and all your stitches are a teeny bit larger than mine because you knit looser, the bigger stitches add up to a bigger hat.
A pattern should tell you what gauge is required to get a certain size, with a sentence saying x stitches and x rows to 10 cm in stocking stitch. You knit a practice square about 13 cm square (with edges of garter stitch to keep it flat). Measure your stitches - how many over 10 cm? If different, you need to adjust your needle size to give you the same size stitches.

Sarah

tarrentella
04-27-2007, 12:02 PM
lovely hat, i like the colours, its a nice chane from the pastels that shops often try and convince us babies should wear!

As for te size - dont forget babies heads are bigger than you'd think (that why its women who give birth not men!) our skulls never actually grow, they are the same size at birth as an adult, they just sort of harden and change shape slightly, so you never know you might be lucky (and your sister might be unlucky) and the hat might fit!