PDA

View Full Version : Kureyon Felting

BostonBecca
04-26-2007, 10:30 AM
Hi, does anyone have a general idea of how much Noro Kureyon felts?

I want to alter the booga bag to make more of a tote and I was wondering how much I could expect for it to felt. If anyone has pre-felting and post felting measurements that would be amazing!

Thanks in advance.

sara_jayne
04-26-2007, 10:37 AM
I don't have any exact measurements, but I do have pictures of comaprison.....a Lucy bag next to a CD case before and after.

Noro does felt into a nice fabric. You could knit a small swatch, measure it and felt it then get measurements that way. If you do that you don't chance knitting the whole thing and not having it felt small enough.

BostonBecca
04-26-2007, 10:56 AM
Thanks for the picture and advice. I don't have ready access to a washing machine that doesn't cost $2 a load to felt my projects in, so I was trying to avoid the swatch felting step, but I might have to bite the bullet and do it.

sara_jayne
04-26-2007, 10:57 AM
Ick! Paying $2 to felt a swatch would be no fun - I don't blame you for that!

Were you looking to make the bag smaller or bigger?

BostonBecca
04-26-2007, 11:03 AM
I want it wider than it is tall. More like this shape: http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=5512486

It doesn't look like yours shrank too much, maybe I will make mine bigger than I want it but only by 25% or so and hope it works out!

It won't be terrible if it is smaller.

Abbily
04-26-2007, 11:08 AM
Sorry, I can't give you measurements either, but I can tell you that my booga bag in Kureyon lost more height that width. So, make it a bit taller than you want, but not much wider than you want, if that makes sense. :)

sara_jayne
04-26-2007, 11:37 AM
25% is a good amount to raise it by. It will lose more height than width, so you might only want to add to the width.

BostonBecca
04-26-2007, 11:41 AM
Thanks everyone! I think I will follow the pattern generally and add to the width so it is wider but still about that tall. You have all been so helpful.

GinnyG
04-28-2007, 11:28 AM
I'm currently working on a Booga bag that is three times the pattern size, I just multiplied everything by three. I have a huge investment in yarn now so I am HOPING it will come out the way I want it :pout:

But my general experience with felting has been it shrinks more in height than in width.

AnnaT
04-28-2007, 02:51 PM
Sara Jayne, that bag looks great. It didn't seem to shrink too much. How long did you leave it in the washer?

jess_hawk
04-28-2007, 03:12 PM
I felted a swatch in the sink once. It was nearly more trouble than it was worth, since I was at home and had free laundry facilities. But, it can be done. I don't know how closely it shows you what the wash machine will do to that yarn, and you have to nearly burn your hands, though.