PDA

View Full Version : OT: Are you smarter than a 5th grader?

Hildegard_von_Knittin
04-26-2007, 08:19 PM
Is anyone watching this???????????? This dude on here is PSYCHO. He's *soooooooooo* excited about knowing what nebraska looks like :shock:

Hildegard_von_Knittin
04-26-2007, 08:20 PM
ETA: I didn't know where Bern was :shifty:

dustinac
04-26-2007, 08:24 PM
:rofl: I watched it when it first came on after Idol and would laugh my head off.. they keep changing the night or something cause I can't keep up with it anymore..

:?? no idea why I didn't just add it to season pass...

kinda OT but what is up with all the networks..what are they doing to tv shows now.. changing nights.. stopping them after the first show airs.. I just heard tonight that Drive was dropped due to low ratings.. I only remeber reading it was on once/twice :shrug: they don't give a show enough time to find it's audience... :grrr:

Ok back to 5th grader talk...

PinkRoses
04-26-2007, 08:28 PM
OMG, I just turned it on. I would be afraid for the children up there. He's out of control! :teehee: :hiding:

SandraEllen
04-26-2007, 08:29 PM
5th grade history? i totally would have picked 4th grade math!!!

PinkRoses
04-26-2007, 08:31 PM
Can I add that all the kids on this show are so darn cute! :happydance:

SandraEllen
04-26-2007, 08:33 PM
i couldn't take the suspense. i had to look up the answer on wiki

PinkRoses
04-26-2007, 08:38 PM
Oh no, he's out of control again. :teehee:

brendajos
04-26-2007, 08:38 PM
I am watching now that the debate is over and the thing that makes me crazy is that they always take the easy questions first. Take the darn hard ones first and you have a better chance of getting to the million!

I thought it was Adams too

brendajos
04-26-2007, 08:40 PM
okay seriously i could never walk away from that question!

PinkRoses
04-26-2007, 08:46 PM
Samuel Clemons? Or something like that...

psammeadred
04-26-2007, 08:47 PM
That show scares me...

A few weeks ago, a woman missed this question:

If y=3x and 3x=12, what is y?

PinkRoses
04-26-2007, 08:48 PM
He seems pretty manic to me. Out of control is funny to a point but he scares me a little.

brendajos
04-26-2007, 08:53 PM
eh i think he is fine.

i have NO idea how he got the answer the way he went about it though! :shock:

PinkRoses
04-26-2007, 08:58 PM
:cheering: Good decission!

PinkRoses
04-26-2007, 09:00 PM
I'm happy he got the 1/2 million. :cheering:

Hildegard_von_Knittin
04-26-2007, 09:10 PM
I would have taken the 500K, too... but not because I didn't know the answer. That is a very misleading question; both 1 AND 2 are factors of 16, and they are BOTH prime.

debinoz
04-26-2007, 09:25 PM
Actually, 2 is the correct answer according to my dd. A prime # is a number that can only be divided by 1 and itself... 1 is a natural and does not count.

Hildegard_von_Knittin
04-26-2007, 09:50 PM
no way!!! 1 does too count!

http://frostar.2y.net/News/!/allsmiles/ztodayifeel_undecided_smiley.gif

debinoz
04-26-2007, 09:59 PM
No... I have 1, 8th grader....2, 9th graders, 1, 7th grader and one 6th grader, all screaming at me that one is a given... it divides into every # and therefore does not count.

ETA: My mind had jumped to square roots and I was screaming "4....4!!!!" at the tv. The kids tought I had went insane.

Hildegard_von_Knittin
04-26-2007, 10:10 PM
:pout:

But I'm almost 29!!!

and I'm a teacher!!!!! :pout:

The MUSIC teacher, where counting is important!!!! kinda. :oo:

uhmm.... and have a masters degree .... :shifty:

and i'm almost done my doctorate

:shifty:

:pout:

bailsmom
04-26-2007, 10:28 PM
OMG, I thought this guy was psycho too!!! I had to keep changing the channel everytime he got an answer right because his screaming was driving me nuts. I like some eccentric people, but this guy is just annoying.

I love this show, we watch every week. The kids are great too. Did anyone watch last weeks show where the guy took the half million and he ended up knowing the answer to the 1 million dollar question?? He knew the subject but his wife told him to walk away.

Crazy broad. :teehee:

debinoz
04-26-2007, 10:48 PM
Don't feel bad..... I had to quit helping with homework a loooong time ago. The way they teach math these days makes no sense to me.

The episode that got me was the one with the million dollar question about which continant was also a country. When she named off all the continants and said, "but they're all countries.... North America is a country..." I thought I'd fall out of my chair. :wall:

Hildegard_von_Knittin
04-26-2007, 11:17 PM
:shifty: i still think i'm right

:teehee:

humblestumble
04-27-2007, 12:44 AM
I'm so lost, what are you talking about? What network? ...

I'm so out of the loop. I only watch Discovery, old movies and HGTV kind of stuff.

Ronda
04-27-2007, 08:11 AM
The MUSIC teacher, where counting is important!!!! kinda.

LOL, Hilde. My daughter's ballet teacher tells her class constantly, "If you can't count, you can't dance!!!!!"

dawnk777
04-27-2007, 09:14 AM
What killed me, was 2 weeks ago, a woman with 4 kids, didn't know how many teeth a child, has in his/her mouth! The answer was 20 and she said 24!

I knew all the answers last night, except for the last one. I didn't remember what a prime number was. My kids said the answer was 2, also. They are 17 (senior) and 15 (freshman).

I GUESSED John Adams and just got lucky. My first thought for Bern, was Germany and then seconds later I realized it was Switzerland (Bonn is Germany.) My 17yo ran to a computer, to look up Mark Twain's real name and moments before she was going to tell us the answer, I finally remembered that it was Samuel Clemens! LOL!

Last week, that guy should have kept the money! He would have won! He answered Alexander Hamilton, without even thinking!

I work as a lunchlady, at an elementary school. For 2 weeks now, a 5th grader at the school has tried to watch the show, but has had family obligations that prevented her from doing so. I hope she got to watch it last night.

By the way, it's on, on Thursday nights, at 7pm, on Fox.

DotMom61
04-27-2007, 09:33 AM
I tried watching this the 1st night it was on, and the whole "suspenseful" approach drove me crazy. Have they changed that at all??

BTW ... pose your question re: 1 and 2 to this guy: MathGrad.com (http://www.mathgrad.com/). He does a podcast, which is REALLY good. I make the kids listen to it during breakfast sometimes. :teehee:

:psst: They pretend not to like it, and then they get all curious about what he's talking about, and that becomes the topic of the day.