View Full Version : Helppppp meeeee

04-27-2007, 06:07 PM
Ok, today I thought down with that purple dressing gown, and 'S*d this'.

So I need your help. I am going to knit.......A SOCK tada.

But I need help, sutible easy pattern, what sort of yarn, needles ect.

If you guys help I'll be a less stressed person, and my brain can stay behind my ears.

Thank you Nobones :muah: :hug:

04-27-2007, 06:38 PM
Silver's Sock Tutorial (http://www.cometosilver.com/socks/SockClass_Intro.htm) Exactly what you need for a first sock!

04-27-2007, 07:18 PM
I agree about using the sock tutorial. I just finished my first pair of socks about 3 days ago using that tutorial. I used a worsted weight on size 8's. It made a nice pair of hiking boot socks or wear around the house socks. A little thick for wearing with normal shoes.

But the techniques are great to learn.

Now I'm on to something more challenging: a pair of dress socks with a cable pattern. Fingering weight wool on five size 2 dpns. I feel like I'm trying to knit thread with toothpicks! Yeesh, never knew my hands could be so big.

Learning, learning, learning..... :wall:

04-28-2007, 05:05 AM
Wow. Thank you so much. I will be going out this afternoon to buy sutible yarn and needles. Here we go.....

04-29-2007, 09:26 AM
Now I'm on to something more challenging: a pair of dress socks with a cable pattern. :wall:

How would you make cabled socks? Wouldn't the pattern prevent you from wearing them with normal shoes?

04-29-2007, 10:10 AM
When you make 'fahncy' socks, the design is on the leg and top of the foot. The bottom of the foot is plain. The yarn is also super thin.

04-29-2007, 10:30 AM
Yup, what Ingrid said.

On the leg, the cable pattern is done once on each of the four needles, for a total of four cables on the circumference of the leg. Once you get to the heel/sole section, the cables are only done on the two needles creating the top part of the the sock.