PDA

View Full Version : (PREFERENCE) How do you make your socks?

hydeemarie
04-28-2007, 02:23 PM
Curious...

Which method do ya'll use to make socks? Magic loop, two circs, dpns? Any other?

Silver
04-28-2007, 02:37 PM
I've done them all, written tutorials on a couple methods and I prefer the 2 circular method.... which I haven't written a tute on yet, but will. I know a lot of people prefer the magic loop method most of all (which is why i did that tute before the 2 circs), but I think it's a little more fiddly than the 2 circ method.

Quiltlady
04-28-2007, 02:39 PM
I make mine from the toe UP and begin with two dp needles. I took classes at my LYS and thats how I learned. I never would have "understood" it on my own. Eventually I use 4 dp but by then I have the hang of it. :cheering:

jess_hawk
04-28-2007, 03:32 PM
I have only made one pair so far, with more to come I think this summer, but I really enjoy working with dpns usually. I made mine toe up on dpns, I think next time I will do top down and either dpns or 2 circs. I need to learn the official 2 circ method; I've used 2 circs before but my method doesn't work as efficiently as I'm bettign the real way does.

zkimom
04-28-2007, 03:36 PM
I've tried it all (ok, not all but a lot!). Cuff down on dpns, toe-up on dpns and finally, toe-up, magic loop, 2 at a time. This is the method that gets my vote and is the most likely to result in an actual pair of socks as opposed to just a sock. I have not been bitten by the sock bug but I am groovin' on the ML method.
:happydance:

(Silver, you are the sock goddess!)

carmabelle1191
04-28-2007, 04:01 PM
I've tried DPNs and ML, and I prefer ML much better. I always have a case of SSS, so doing them two at a time is great for me. :thumbsup:

JoeE
04-28-2007, 04:06 PM
Top down on DPNs with a heel flap and gusset. So far this is the only way I end up with something everyone would recognize immediately as a sock.

I'm really trying to understand toe up, short rows, etc., but so far they look terrible. This is one of those times I wish I came from a family of knitters so I'd have someone to show me what I'm doing wrong. I feel sort of knitting-impaired because I can't figure out any other way to knit socks.

I tried magic loop and two circulars, and find either method to be "fiddly". Seems like a lot of work to dork around with the sliding the stitches over the joins in the circular needles. I can fly on DPNs, and I think I look cool doing it (if a 40-something year old man knitting *can* look cool).

Joe

Mariblue
04-28-2007, 04:07 PM
I love magic loop. And I've definitely been bitten by the sock bug, so I'm going to learn how to do them 2 at a time next. I also prefer toe up.

Julie
04-28-2007, 06:27 PM
Top down, heel flap & gusset, on 2 circs. :thumbsup:

hydeemarie
04-28-2007, 08:17 PM
Top down, heel flap & gusset, on 2 circs. :thumbsup:
Do you know where i could get instructions for this method? :eyebrow:

auburnchick
04-29-2007, 12:55 AM
I tried the ML, but just keep forgetting what I'm doing in the middle of it.

So, my preferred method is the DPN way. Plus it makes me look like I'm really coordinated when I have all of those needles hanging everywhere. :teehee:

Oh, and I've been working on my first pair of toe-ups, and I LOVE this method. There is nothing better than being able to try on your socks as you go!!!

Shandeh
04-29-2007, 02:50 AM
I prefer DPNs, top down. The traditional way.

But, I'm just an old-fashioned sort. I knit vintage patterns, and spin yarn with my spinning wheel. I like understanding the history behind things.

KnittingNat
04-29-2007, 03:28 AM
I've only made one pair so far, toe down with DPN's, but i want to try toe-up... And i definitely need to figure out the 2 circs method :doh:

losnana
04-29-2007, 09:58 AM
I've cuff-down on ML and on DPNs and DEFINITELY prefer ML.
I've down toe-up on Ml, both one at a time and 2 at once. For me the easiest way is to have 2 separate ML needles going. I knit the toe (or the cuff, as the case may be) for sock # 1, do the same thing for sock # 2; do the next part for sock # 1, then the same thing for sock # 2; etc. The disadvantage is that you need 2 needles of the same size. I find it MUCH easier than doing 2 socks on the same needle, though.
I do intend to try that method again, when I have time to read or listen to directions CAREFULLY.
I haven't tried the 2 circular needles method, but think I'll do that next, since it is Silver's favorite. She should know, right!??

jeanius80
04-29-2007, 12:18 PM
i just started my very first pair two socks toe up on two circs. i am using silver tutorial for magic loop, only i didnt have a long enough needle :teehee: . i have used dpn for hats and stuff, but two circs is way less fiddly (??). i dont think i will make socks any other way!

Duckling326
04-29-2007, 03:03 PM
I learned to make socks on DPN, cuff down and have made many socks this way.

I've made a couple pair using MLP cuff down and in the middle of that I switched to DPN after I had the heel ready to turn.

Yesterday I finished my first MLP toe up thanks to Silver and although I enjoyed this method and it's nice having two socks finished at the same time. Oh and I liked the short row heel.

I wanted to try the different methods and I prefer doing DPN cuff down.

humblestumble
04-30-2007, 12:29 AM
toe up DPNs!

Panhandle Jane
04-30-2007, 06:36 AM
I do cuff up, toe down, one sock at a time, Magic loop.

SandraEllen
04-30-2007, 07:42 AM
2 socks on 2 circs! It's the only I'll ever do socks again. And when you're doing 2 at the same time, they're guaranteed to come out the same size!

I've been working a pair toe up for the first time and I'm loving it!

kemp
04-30-2007, 08:52 AM
Definitely toe up...rotate between DPNs and magic loop.

Knitting_Guy
04-30-2007, 09:03 AM
Top down Magic Loop

cheesiesmom
04-30-2007, 12:54 PM
Am currently (still) working on 2 circs toe up, one at a time. My preferred method is dpns, but since I'm having some muscle issues, I'm forever dropping my left needle. My next pair is going to be 2 on 2 circs cuff down. I like the heel flap and gusset. Not too thrilled about the short row heel and toe. I also don't have issues with sizing the cuff down so trying on (other than the thrill of a try-on) isn't a problem/requirement.

1to1
04-30-2007, 01:46 PM
I learned by doing Silver's Tutorial. I have made 3 pairs of socks and on my 4th pair--each with a different method. I'm working on a crossed ribbing and its a pain so I haven't been working very much on my socks lately.

I like toe-up with either Magic Loop or 2 Circulars. I doubt that I will try dpn. :?? :doh:

syndactylus
04-30-2007, 02:03 PM
um... unspeakably badly.

meearnol
04-30-2007, 02:09 PM
I've made several pairs cuff-down on DPNs (I just love those DPNs!) and I've started the second sock of my first pair of toe-ups. I really like that I can try them on as I go, but I actually kind of like doing the kitchener stitch on cuff-downs.

Oh, and I stink at short-row heels. :wall:

PaperGirl
04-30-2007, 02:10 PM
With a credit card at a store. :oops:

Im still trying to learn the tute from Silver...but I will NOT give up! I will prevail! :happydance:

RachelJean
04-30-2007, 02:59 PM
I do most of my socks top down on DPN's. I just tried toe-up, and I really like it so I will probably make more that way. I think I'll stick with DPN's for a while at least because I'm very comfortable with them - plus I have a pretty huge collection of them. :teehee:

Braden
04-30-2007, 04:00 PM
I've tried them all, and I really prefer DPN's. It just seems simpler to me.

whimzypinzycreations
04-30-2007, 11:35 PM
I am a magic loop girl! :muah:

redwitch
04-30-2007, 11:44 PM
I like toe-up because I get a good fit with no swatching and can use up every last bit of wool and make the socks as long as the wool can allow... but I don't like doing short rows and don't love how they look. I like toe-up now I think with the heel flap on the sole of the foot.
Circular needles in NZ are crappy with a horrible join and rarely longer than 80 cm so I don't use ML but I like 2 circs purely because I can do both socks at once, I don't feel like I have to do the pattern all over again, it just feels like I do it once! and the socks will match perfectly. But I also like DPNs and am happy to use them when 2 circs are not practical, like in colourwork where the balls get way too tangled.

Sarah