PDA

View Full Version : Virginia Tech healing blankets

AnnaT
04-28-2007, 02:33 PM
Hi, (copying this from original in the General Knitting forum)

I read today on a blog that a yarn store in Blacksburg, Virginia is accepting knitted and crocheted squares in order to make up blankets for the victims' families and also the injured victims. This will go on through the month of May.

They want soft, cozy 8x8 inch (20 cm x 20 cm) squares in the school colors, and they can be maroon/burgundy, burnt orange, white, or black. You can drop them off or mail them to:

Mosaic Yarn Shop
880 University City Blvd.
Blacksburg, Va

Mosaic Yarn Shop's website is here: http://www.mosaicyarnshop.blogspot.com/

I think this is a very nice gesture. My husband, who has been bereaved suddenly twice in his life, told me he would have really appreciated something like this to help with his grieving.

It's strange because I have a stack of 8x8 inch squares for a blanket I am working on and one is maroon!! I just hope it isn't too purpley. I do have some white yarn I could use, too.

Just thought y'all might find this interesting!

Secksiebrat
04-28-2007, 04:16 PM
I bought some yarn today. I plan to make up some squares to send along :) Thanks for posting this.

I didn't go to Virginia Tech, but I did go to George Mason University and many of my HS friends went to VT. I dated a guy there and VT is just a wonderful school. That was my first choice of schools actually.

So I'll be making my contribution to the school. I feel as though it something I should do b/c I did spend a lot of time on that campus, even slept in AJ west on many nights. I just can't imagine what it must be like for those students today.

I keep those people at VT in my prayers daily as it is a long and hard road ahead of them.

~danielle~

Eloewien
04-28-2007, 06:01 PM
To quote the Mosaics blog
"Deadline is the end of May! Thanks! Any type of yarn, preferably super soft and yummy!"

Just FYI, since I know yarn types was a question that came up :)

zip
04-28-2007, 06:05 PM
Yay, Anna! Thanks for making this a knit-along. In response to the questions from your original thread, I read that any yarn type is acceptable. As stated in the site you linked to,"please knit or crochet squares out of the nicest, softest yarn you can afford." Posters of the attached comments refer to Cascade 220, superwash merino, alpaca, and acrylic. Seems that any soft yarn type will indeed do, provided the colors match those you named. I expect they'll probably accept other colors as well.

The shop will be accepting squares until the end of May.

Also, if it matters to anyone, the shop owner wrote in her blog that they'll be giving a blanket to the gunman's family. I don't wish to spread his infamy by mentioning his name, but I do like the idea of giving to his parents, whose pain I can only imagine.

Here's a button from the shop owner's blog. (http://skeincocaine.blogspot.com/)

http://photos1.blogger.com/x/blogger2/4892/328878853832603/220/z/710042/gse_multipart32301.jpg

HollyP
04-28-2007, 11:29 PM
I'm in! What yarn is everyone using? My finals end on Mon and after that I am a free woman! I am going to my favorite not so local ys on Tues to stock up on Hokie colors. I have a few ideas for patterns. Now to get the right size.

I have a tip that I learned from my Dishcloth KAL group that might help with this project (my sister just posted the same tip on the blog I guess great minds think alike lol!). If you use a circular needle you can knit more than one square at time. Just cast on for the first one using one ball of yarn, then with another ball cast on right next to the first. Then just knit across the one drop the yarn and knit the the other. Some of the women do 3 and 4 at once. I find it gets a little heavy with more than 2.

edited for spelling :oops: :doh:

HollyP
04-28-2007, 11:42 PM
double post sorry!

AnnaT
04-29-2007, 12:57 AM
Yay, Anna! Thanks for making this a knit-along. In response to the questions from your original thread, I read that any yarn type is acceptable. As stated in the site you linked to,"please knit or crochet squares out of the nicest, softest yarn you can afford." Posters of the attached comments refer to Cascade 220, superwash merino, alpaca, and acrylic. Seems that any soft yarn type will indeed do, provided the colors match those you named. I expect they'll probably accept other colors as well.

I think I will make up a square in the white baby acrylic I have, then. As I said before, the maroon square I already had ready is all wool. Kind of scratchy. Besides, I measured it last night and it's 8.8 inches, not 8. :(

Also, if it matters to anyone, the shop owner wrote in her blog that they'll be giving a blanket to the gunman's family. I don't wish to spread his infamy by mentioning his name, but I do like the idea of giving to his parents, whose pain I can only imagine.

I like that idea, too.

zip
04-29-2007, 01:19 PM
Anna, I'd go ahead and send the 8.8 inch square to them with any others that you make. I seriously doubt that everything they receive will be built to code. :)

Yesterday, I visited a local craft/hobby store that currently has all of their yarn 10% off. I bought a skein of Woolease in cranberry (way more maroon than raspberry,) and one each of Red Heart Soft in tangerine, white and black. I kinda agonized between the tangerine and paprika, and finally decided the paprika was a brick color and the tangerine is burnt orange. I need to build up my stash anyway. Everyone here has more than I do. :teehee:

Holly, thanks so much for the tip on multi squares! I'm gonna do that.

AnnaT
05-01-2007, 12:10 AM
Anna, I'd go ahead and send the 8.8 inch square to them with any others that you make. I seriously doubt that everything they receive will be built to code. :)

I will, then! I washed and lightly blocked it last night, so it's ready to go when it dries. I am still concerned, though, because it's hand wash-only wool.

Yesterday, I visited a local craft/hobby store that currently has all of their yarn 10% off. I bought a skein of Woolease in cranberry (way more maroon than raspberry,) and one each of Red Heart Soft in tangerine, white and black. I kinda agonized between the tangerine and paprika, and finally decided the paprika was a brick color and the tangerine is burnt orange. I need to build up my stash anyway. Everyone here has more than I do. :teehee:

Those colors sound wonderful. Tangerine! Paprika! :heart:

newamy
05-01-2007, 12:31 PM
I started a square two days ago. I'm using a dark red/maroon color of Mission Falls 1870 Superwash that I had on hand. I'm using a stitch pattern called Paralellagram Check from Barabara Walkers first Treasurey of Knitting patterns. I's looking really nice. It's taking me a while though because of my work schedule and a bit of carpal tunnel blues. But I'll get in done and mailed before the end of May.

quiltbugj
05-01-2007, 10:12 PM
I love this idea! My daughter is graduating from Tech the weekend of May 11th. I'll actually be able to drop this at the store!

HollyP
05-02-2007, 10:22 AM
I love this idea! My daughter is graduating from Tech the weekend of May 11th. I'll actually be able to drop this at the store!
Congratulations to your daughter!!! :cheering: Please give her my best wishes for the future!

On the squares front I went to my not so lys and they were sold out of Hokie colors. I really had my heart set on not doing a white or black one!I am going shopping this afternoon and will check out my lys even though the owner is a bit crazy and scares me.

Eloewien
05-02-2007, 11:35 AM
Im hoping to wander by the store this week, just been wanting to stop by and haven't had a chance. Thank you all for doing this, it really means so much to the community that people from all over are reaching out!

If you're interested in what campus looks like with the memorials, I've put up pictures on my website (see my signature) and i'll be getting more this weekend...

newamy
05-02-2007, 06:25 PM
I finished my square and blocked it. I will mail it tomorrow.
I would post a pic but I can't load pictures just now. My husbands setting me up witha new computer so I will be able to in a few days.

I hope they get enough squares and have a good seaming up party.

madametj
05-02-2007, 06:29 PM
To quote the Mosaics blog
"Deadline is the end of May! Thanks! Any type of yarn, preferably super soft and yummy!"

Just FYI, since I know yarn types was a question that came up :)

so it doesnt matter if its acrylic or wool?

here are some square patterns: http://www.warmupamerica.org/patterns.html

newamy
05-06-2007, 12:22 AM
Here is my square- it should arrive next week.
I hope they get plenty!

zip
05-06-2007, 01:48 AM
Here is my square- it should arrive next week.
I hope they get plenty!

Very pretty! What stitch and color is that? I finished one and began a second one tonight.

newamy
05-06-2007, 09:25 AM
What stitch and color is that?

It is horizontal parallelogram check from Barbara Walker's Treasury of Knitting patterns. It is hard to photograph details on red, I think.
The yarn is Mission Falls Super wash. I'm not sure of the color but it's a dark red.

Eloewien
05-06-2007, 10:44 PM
Two down, one in progress, and enough yarn for several more. I did one in Rowan Summer Tweed, and one in Cascade Jewel. I'm doing a modular square (4 squares in one) in Cascade 220. I'll try to get pictures up tomorrow :)

AnnaT
05-08-2007, 01:47 AM
Mine is off to the post office today. I didn't take a picture of it before sealing the envelope, but it's maroon, done in the Belt Welt stitch from the stitch library at http://www.knittingfool.com.

Eloewien, do you think Mosaic will post pictures of some of the blankets before they are presented to the families?

Eloewien
05-08-2007, 10:03 AM
I would think so... they already have pictures of some of the squares up...

AnnaT
05-08-2007, 11:21 AM
I would think so... they already have pictures of some of the squares up...

I saw them now! I hadn't looked at their web site for a couple of days. The squares all look so beautiful. I really like the pattern on the second navy blue one, that looks like it has an X on it.

aineepooh1
05-11-2007, 02:29 AM
Yeah.... if you are having trouble knitting to 8 in size requirmements shouldwe NOT dontate to this charity... I can't seem to keep my 8x8 meausrements.. :wall: :wall:

Eloewien
05-11-2007, 10:18 AM
If all else fails, make it a little small and block it to size :)

HollyP
05-11-2007, 01:07 PM
My yarn is finally being shipped! After shopping and not finding anything I finally broke down and order yarn online. I should *fingers crossed* have it by the Mon or Tues. Thankfully these are a quick knit! I should be able to whip up several and make the deadline!

kellycarr05
05-11-2007, 02:21 PM
Im doing burgandy and orange......a burgandy background with an orange heart in the middle and a burgandy "H" in the middle of the heart!!! :cheering:

pandaca
05-14-2007, 07:02 PM
I bought a skein of burnt orange yarn and finished my first square a couple days ago. Started my second one last night.

My local LYS had a charity knitting day just for the VT blanket on Saturday! I don't know yet how many squares they got.

quiltbugj
05-14-2007, 08:16 PM
I dropped mine off at the yarn store in Blacksburg this weekend. They have tables out front with all of the squares - they are beautiful!

BTW, the graduation was wonderful, tasteful, and touching.

HollyP
05-14-2007, 11:51 PM
Hi! I got my yarn today!!! MMMMMalabrigo really is as great as everyone keeps saying!! The colors I bought were rhodesian and burgandy. They are perfect Tech colors :cheering: :cheering: !! I am so excited! I just cast on for my first square a few minutes ago! Just wanted to report!

Secksiebrat
05-15-2007, 04:49 PM
I've finished 3 squares so far. I'm going to cast on another one tonight. I'm hoping to do 6 or so and will put them in the mail early next week so they should have them in plenty of time.

~danielle~

Mine are burnt orange (hunter orange its actually called) and maroon.

Eloewien
05-16-2007, 09:31 PM
Eight and counting ... guess I'm addicted.... :lol:

aineepooh1
05-18-2007, 02:03 PM
I have about 6 six squares done now~ I am waiting on my pal to finish her crocheted squares and I am planning on sending them together~!:lol:

HollyP
05-19-2007, 10:39 PM
I have three done. One needs to be blocked. I cast on for another tonight. I wanted to do at least a few more and send them early this week so I can be sure they will get there before the deadline. Does anyone have pictures of the ones they have finished? I would love to see them, I'll post mine as soon as I replace the batteries in my camera! Eloewien you're right they are addicting like chips can't knit just one!

zip
05-20-2007, 03:27 PM
I've finished three and am sending them off tomorrow. They look so much better in person than they do here. :( I remember reading something posted by the yarn shop regarding their plan to decorate the town with knitted items in the school colors, so if mine are used for that rather than a blanket, so be it. ;) The maroon is Wool-ease; the burnt orange is Red Heart Soft.

I thought I'd corrected my accidental stockinette border on the Virginia one, and didn't see three errors until I viewed the picture. :doh:

The gingham was an experiment using a stitch provided by knittingonthenet.com; I found a mistake in the pattern, e-mailed the site owner at bedtime, and awoke to an e-mail reply and corrected pattern at the site! I'll visit her again. I love the gingham, but obviously I need to knit more loosely. The two different yarn types may be part of the reason for the misshapedness. I expect it'd look better with a border.
double :doh:

ADAllen
05-20-2007, 04:38 PM
:hug:I think they look great!

HollyP
05-20-2007, 04:51 PM
Zip those are great! Thanks for sharing!

I just finished another and didn't realize until I was done that it was too wide. It is 8.5 inches wide by 8 inches tall. Of course it is my favorite of the ones I have done so far! What do you all think? Should I send it anyways , should I frog and start over, or should I email Mosaic and see what they say? Thanks!

zip
05-21-2007, 12:12 AM
Thank you both! You're too kind. :)

Holly, I'd bet money that not all of the squares received will be exactly 8 inches square. My solid orange one is slightly larger than the other two. I'm certain that close to 8 is good enough and will be welcomed. Send it!

Shandeh
05-24-2007, 03:05 AM
Purtyful!!! :heart::heart:

I looked in my stash and realized that I have Plymouth Encore in both maroon and burnt orange, so OF COURSE I'm gonna have to knit a square or two. :teehee:

aineepooh1
05-25-2007, 01:26 AM
I would SEND them to the shop... I have encountered this dilemma too b/c I am knitting and crocheting squares... and I can't keep the 8x8 measurement to save my life~!:wall::wall::wall:
SO .. I have thought about it so I am gonna send them ianyway and f they like them they can use them if not they can decorate the town with em~! or trash em if the case warrants its....So be it..

I certainly gave it my best effort and God knows that my heart was in the right place~!:aww:

Shandeh
05-25-2007, 01:57 AM
When I looked at the photos on the shop website, there were squares of MANY sizes and shapes there. So, you should be good to go! :thumbsup:

Check it out! (http://bp0.blogger.com/_38-_rLPXDgc/RlCvFHuGjTI/AAAAAAAABN4/EiBNL758CuU/s1600-h/DSCN1423.JPG)

aineepooh1
05-25-2007, 01:29 PM
thanks Shandeh~:hug:
f
I mailed mine today .... I had 7 squares my GF couldn't help b/c she was sick last weekend... they are gonna be late but maybe they can still use them for something else ~!
:shrug:

HollyP
05-25-2007, 03:17 PM
Aineepooh1 I am pretty sure they will take squares that come in within a reasonable amount of time after the deadline. From the looks of it they don't have enough squares to make all the blankets yet!
I am sending mine tomorrow. I have two blocking right now that just aren't quite dry yet. I am pretty sure mine will make it on time because I am only a 5 hour drive from B'burg.

misha rf
05-25-2007, 03:28 PM
I sent 4 squares today. They should be there by Tues. :D

aineepooh1
05-25-2007, 03:32 PM
I am glad I am not the only one who sent em late~!:aww:

Shandeh
05-25-2007, 06:05 PM
You guys are way ahead of me! I'm still KNITTING mine! :teehee:

HollyP
05-25-2007, 09:29 PM
I actually started another tonight! I found a pattern and I *think* I have just enough yarn to make it. Keeping my fingers crossed!

Eloewien
05-26-2007, 10:48 AM
I dropped mine off yesterday.... wow!!! There are already lots of gorgeous squares, but still not as many as they want yet. They expect many many more to show up over the next week. I'll have to drop by again and take pictures!!!

knittingmama
05-26-2007, 11:30 AM
I have 2 orange/white squares done. And another on needles that's only on row 6. I'm just using acrylic since I can't get into the city to the yarn shop often. Already had some burnt orange and white in my stash :)

aineepooh1
05-26-2007, 12:04 PM
Hmmmm.. if they Still don't have enough... should we start making some more? Now it's got me wondering.:shrug: somewhere on her blog she said she had over 7000 squares... ( at least thats what I thought it said)... that's not enough for blankets???:passedout:

HollyP
05-26-2007, 12:38 PM
Hmmmm.. if they Still don't have enough... should we start making some more? Now it's got me wondering.:shrug: somewhere on her blog she said she had over 7000 squares... ( at least thats what I thought it said)... that's not enough for blankets???:passedout:
I am pretty sure the last count I read was 750ish. 7000 would be enough for a ton of blankets!
I would bet in the next week they will get quite a few squares from all of us procrastinators! I have about 20 rows to knit on my last one and then they are off. Oh shoot :doh: I forgot about Monday being a holiday and the PO is already closed. I guess mine will be going out first thing on Tuesday!

aineepooh1
05-26-2007, 02:12 PM
I mailed mine yesterday Holly and the mailman told me even if I ordered priority mail that day it wouldn't get there in time by Monday.. the earliest it could get there would be Tuesday .. so I just ordered the regular post:aww:

Shandeh
05-26-2007, 02:18 PM
I'm worried that my square will cause depression, because I was thinking sad thoughts about the VT disaster as I knit.

My first square is all black, with a white border.
My second square is all white, with a black border.

I'm thinking that the first square represents looking out a window, where all you see is blackness and sadness.

The second square represents seeing hope and light.

I need to finish the sad square FAST!! :pout:

aineepooh1
05-26-2007, 03:33 PM
What about an orange square next ... it can represent the coming out of the sun and the dawn of new day... and a better day~!:cheering:

Shandeh
05-27-2007, 07:24 PM
I got too depressed making the black and white square, so I frogged it. Then, I looked around my craft room, and found a premade square that came in a bag of yarn I received for my charity knitting. It was the right color, but wasn't exactly the right size, so I grabbed a similar yarn (Lion Brand Microspun) in white, and added enough knitting to make it square.

I guess I cheated a little bit, but at least I put the little square in my bag to good use!

I think I'll knit another square, so I'll have them both ready to mail on Tuesday.
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/199/516867439_18dfa28cd2.jpg

Secksiebrat
05-28-2007, 10:59 AM
I've got 4 squares knitted up and I will be putting them in the mail tomorrow (Tuesday). I'll take some pictures and hopefully post them, just so ya'll can see what I knitted up (nothing too fancy I fear though).

~danielle~

Secksiebrat
05-29-2007, 03:29 PM
My squares went into the mail today! I sent them priority mail so I'm hoping the will make it by the end of the week. Better late than never I suppose! :)

I posted pictures of my squares on my blog if anyone would like to see them. Nothing fancy I fear, but 4 donated squares none the less :)

~danielle~:happydance:

Shandeh
05-29-2007, 10:46 PM
Wonderful, Danielle! :thumbsup:

I never finished another square, and now my arm is hurting, so I'm just going to have to mail my simple little square as it is. :shrug:

HollyP
05-30-2007, 12:45 PM
I sent mine today. The deadline caught up with me quicker than I thought! I'll post pictures later. I hope at least a few of mine get used! I just read on their blog that they had 2,017 squares. Amazing isn't it!!

Eloewien
05-30-2007, 10:47 PM
I turned in the seven I got done... put pictures up on my blog at http://www.dragonwingarts.com/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=347

HollyP
05-31-2007, 05:13 PM
Hi everyone! Here arr mine. I took the pictures before I blocked so a few are a little wonky but all in all I am happy with them. http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t190/hollyp236/tmpphp4XdJXy.jpghttp://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t190/hollyp236/tmpphp1ilshZ.jpg http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t190/hollyp236/tmpphpNvg8YQ.jpg http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t190/hollyp236/tmpphpSBjYzP.jpg http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t190/hollyp236/tmpphpy8M1M5.jpg http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t190/hollyp236/tmpphpA9jaU1.jpg http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t190/hollyp236/tmpphp93gzam.jpg

Eloewien
05-31-2007, 05:42 PM
Wow- great job!!

Secksiebrat
05-31-2007, 09:32 PM
wow those are beautiful. Mine aren't nearly as great/nice as yours! :(

~danielle~

HollyP
06-01-2007, 11:25 AM
Thank you Eloewien and Secksiebrat!

I wish I lived closer too! It would be awesome to be able to be part of the seaming of these blankets. I was going to make a weekend trip of it but my mom, my travelling buddy, has to go to graduation that night.

Does anyone know how many squares they will be using per blanket? When I checked this morning they had over 3000!

Jan in CA
06-01-2007, 12:23 PM
I just have to say that all your squares are beautiful! I love that you made them in so many pretty patterns rather than plain garter stitch. Nothing wrong with garter stitch, but it's pretty when they mix it up with patterns. :teehee:

aineepooh1
06-01-2007, 03:16 PM
yeah~ I also thought that was cool b/c they are having a seaming party~!:rofling::rofling: Free food and drinks... BYON.. Bring your own needle~! There are some lovely people out there who would volunteer at such a daunting task.. that s a lot of squares...:thumbsup:

I wonder what kind of food.. maybe pizza b/c it's easy and portable..BTW: did anyone see the utube video the owner posted on her blog.. it said something about "Listen to the last 5 words".. I don't know what it was about .. I tried to download but I have dialup .. and so I gave up:shrug: If anyone saw it could you please tell for my curiosity's sake.... :waving:

Shandeh
06-02-2007, 01:33 AM
I just found a photo of a completed blanket. It looks pretty!
Completed VT Blanket (http://bp0.blogger.com/_jquLeighu4o/RlmX023-3jI/AAAAAAAAAM4/E3_5QNxlAmQ/s1600-h/DSCN1510.JPG)

loquacious
06-02-2007, 07:10 AM
I grew up near you! I saw the word wonky- too funny. Poquoson. Ayway i love the one that looks like bricks- what is that one called as i've not experimented with too many?
thanks
Heather

knitwit628
06-02-2007, 06:22 PM
Awesome blanket! Are they taking any more squares later on for the families of others in the school that experienced this event?

HollyP
06-02-2007, 11:16 PM
I grew up near you! I saw the word wonky- too funny. Poquoson. Ayway i love the one that looks like bricks- what is that one called as i've not experimented with too many?
thanks
Heather
:waving: Hi Heather. Poquoson! It's a small world!! Did you go to Poquoson High? I didn't realize wonky was a regional thing. I've always heard and said it!
It's called the textured slip stitch (http://www.jimsyldesign.com/~dishbout/kpatterns/texturedss.html) also called the ballband. It's super easy to do!
I loved the finished blanket but was it just me or was it really narrow? 32" doesn't seem like a wide enough blanket to me. I always assumed they would be 5-6 squares by 7-8 squares.

HollyP
06-02-2007, 11:23 PM
BTW: did anyone see the utube video the owner posted on her blog.. it said something about "Listen to the last 5 words".. I don't know what it was about .. I tried to download but I have dialup .. and so I gave up:shrug: If anyone saw it could you please tell for my curiosity's sake.... :waving:
The last five word were about the seaming party. They are the public is invited to help

aineepooh1
06-05-2007, 07:39 PM
:hug::muah::hug::muah:
Holly P~!

aineepooh1
06-05-2007, 07:41 PM
OMG~ They loook great and somebody did a lovely border all around them.. I wonder was it knitted or crocheted? It did a great job of tying all the different patterns together~!
WTG: Va Yarn Shop~!

aineepooh1
06-09-2007, 01:55 AM
OMG~ I watched the Billy Graham tv special about viginia tech.. I was encouraged and saddened at the same time...
It was so bittersweet to remeber all those who were lost and how one life affects another... I am comforted somewhat by the fact that I made some small change to ease someone else's pain..
thanks for this thread~
Ainee:muah:

HollyP
06-09-2007, 11:08 PM
Did you see they have over 4500 squares! I think the original goal was something like 2000. :woohoo:It makes me proud to be a knitter and know that when someone is doing a great project like this others knitters will go out of there way to help.

Is anyone going to the seaming party next week? I am still trying to work it out, but if I can come it would be great to meet some other KHers.

Eloewien
06-16-2007, 01:52 PM
Just got back from the sewing day- pictures are at http://www.dragonwingarts.com/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=1292

Secksiebrat
06-16-2007, 03:01 PM
Thank you for sharing those pictures. It makes me feel great to see the progress and to know I was able to donate 4 squares for these families. I'm also glad to hear they will be making blankets for the survivors as well :)

~danielle~

Eloewien
06-16-2007, 07:44 PM
They have over 6,000 squares.... here's the Mosaic site... the blanket on the bottom of today's post is the one I helped assemble!!

http://mosaicyarnshop.blogspot.com/

aineepooh1
06-17-2007, 07:41 PM
Thanks Eloiewen~! It makes me feel so much better looking at all the pics and all the wonderful volunteers~:heart::heart::heart::heart:

Shandeh
06-18-2007, 01:07 PM
Excellent! :thumbsup:

Eloewien
06-18-2007, 11:45 PM
There's video up on the Mosaic blog from one local news channel, and another one at http://www.wdbj7.com/Global/story.asp?S=6668669&nav=S6aK

Waiting for the one that (in theory) has me in it :) Unfortunately, no one I know recorded that one yet...

aineepooh1
06-19-2007, 12:13 AM
eloewein~
thanks for keeping us posted.. this is SO important a project~!:waving:

Eloewien
07-01-2007, 04:53 PM
Last time I'll pester you- but the blankets were put out to view at Cassell Coliseum on campus for the afternoon before they will be sent to the families. I worked on a strip of blanket 13 and one of my squares is on blanket 16-- yay!!!! I'm uploading the pictures as we speak!

aineepooh1
07-01-2007, 06:05 PM
GOOD DEAL~ BTW: you are NOT pestering us... especially ME~ b/c it makes my :heart: feel so much lighter when I see what so many people did to ease the burden of another loss .... death has a way of being a HEAVY burden to bear and knowing someone elses CARES about your pain is VERY empowering~!:cheering:

I am SOOoooo glad we started this thread~!:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

zip
07-02-2007, 05:33 PM
I don't feel at all pestered. Please continue to keep us posted, as any local news regarding the blankets is unlikely to be shared nationwide.

AnnaT
07-14-2007, 05:36 AM
I saw the pictures of the blankets in the gym. I really have no words.

I feel sure the families will be comforted. As I wrote in my opening post, my husband has had two sudden bereavements in his life, and both times people backed away. Intellectually, we know that people just feel uncomfortable about saying the wrong thing, or not knowing what to say. But that's really the worst thing we can do to someone who is grieving. He told me that once the horrible shock wears off, after a couple of years, you start to "wake up" a little and realize who helped you and who was there for you, even if you weren't really aware of it at the time. And you take comfort in thinking about those little points of light in all the darkness.

I think that's how these blankets will be for the families.