PDA

View Full Version : How Do You Gauge? And Do You Block Your Swatch?

Arielluria
04-29-2007, 10:11 AM
Newbie question about gauging.

Do you gauge just in knit & purl or do you do it in the particular pattern, say a cable or lacy pattern that you will be using the yarn for?

Once made, do you block your swatch to see how it will look or size when finished?

Ingrid
04-29-2007, 10:16 AM
The pattern usually tells you what stitch the gauge is in.

You're supposed to block your swatch.

:whistle:

suzeeq
04-29-2007, 10:34 AM
If it's a new stitch pattern, I want to knit a sample in it to see how it works out with the yarn and needles. But most patterns give the actual sts/4" gauge in St st.

sue

Chrissie
04-29-2007, 01:31 PM
If it is a stitch pattern that I would be using in the sweater or whatever, I make a long rectangle swatch (10 x 5 inches) and do half of it in plain stockinette for an accurate stitch measurement and half of it in the stitch pattern to see how it works in the yarn. Then I wash it like I would wash the finished garment and block it.

Jill A.
04-29-2007, 02:17 PM
I've read that if you are concered about the yarn fading, bleeding or pilling you should wash your gauge swatch multiple times and see what happens.

I also heard that when gifting a sweater or other knitted item, you can give the swatch to the person and tell them to wash the swatch every time they wash the item. Then if the item needs repairs the yarn from the swatch can be used for the repair yarn and match the knitted item.