PDA

View Full Version : OT SEWING MACHINE QUESTION: help

VictoiseC
04-29-2007, 05:23 PM
Hi! Well, I'm trying to learn to sew and I just busted the needle on my new machine. (I tried to do a really fancy stitch I guess with the wrong foot because it hit it and broke) My question is, I suppose it's very important to open the machine up and get that little bit of broken needle out.... correct? It looks kind of daunting to open it all up, screws and stuff but it's probably important.

Would appreciate your help!

Quiltlady
04-29-2007, 05:58 PM
I think it IS important to get the piece that broke off out of the machine. It could end up going into another part and really mess your machine out. If you aren't comfortable doing it maybe you can take your machine to someone who is more familiarwith it and will do it for you.

If you want a WONDERFUL quilting/sewing message board go over to the HGTV website and check out the boards. There are a wonderful big group of ladies who all Quilt and we post pictures of our work etc. I'm there ALL the time. I highly recommend it. Just like I recommend HERE to people that knit. :cheering:

Petals
04-29-2007, 09:02 PM
You might try taking a magnet to get the broken piece of needle out. It might save from breaking down the machine completely. :shrug:

cougarchick
04-29-2007, 09:45 PM
Taking off the panel were the bobbin is not that hard just make sure you don't loose the screws. Also be careful if you have a computerized sewing machine when getting the tip with the magnet it will really mess your machine up. I know that computers and magnets do not go together. Hope you get it out because it can and will cause damage. Good Luck!!!

cookworm
04-29-2007, 10:38 PM
Yes, you should get that needle out. You can try using a soft bristled brush to brush gently in the bobbin area, and try spraying some of that pressurized canned air they use to clean off computer keyboards. Those might be ways to jiggle broken pieces out of the compartments inside.

humblestumble
04-30-2007, 12:12 AM
Yes, get the needle out! It can jam up your machine if another needle hits it, or if it gets caught somewhere. Don't worry about opening it up. Just put the screw in a place you can't lose it or have it within sight.

I advise not using a spray can. This can cause lint to go inside your machine and mess it up just like anything else can. Use a lint brush instead. (usually this comes with a machine, if not, they are cheap at a local sewing shop). It's good to clean this part of the machine regularly (about once a month or so depending on how often you sew.)

I have a blog about sewing. I haven't updated it in a while because I go on to different hobbies like on rotation, but there's a post there about cleaning the machine.

http://diysewright.blogspot.com

If the machine is not computerize, try using a stick magnet to get the piece out if you can't reach it yourself. If not, take your machine in to a repair place ;)

misstialouise
04-30-2007, 05:37 AM
Here's what I always do..

Take the bobbin cover off, take out the bobbin case and tip the machine upside down and give it a bit of a shake...

:D

Should come out...

humblestumble
04-30-2007, 05:56 AM
Here's what I always do..

Take the bobbin cover off, take out the bobbin case and tip the machine upside down and give it a bit of a shake...

:D

Should come out...

That makes sense! no need for a fixer upper then :D :teehee: :oops:

VictoiseC
04-30-2007, 09:46 AM
WOW! What a lot of attention and help! A BIG THANKS to you all. My machine isn't computerized... and now I know what THAT LITTLE BRUSH is for! I am sooooo bad at sitting down and reading the instruction manual!

Going to go try and fix it now... I like the idea about turning it upside down. I'll checkout that sewing site also Quiltlady and your blog Humblestumble! THANKS AGAIN!!!! :hug: