PDA

View Full Version : OT itchy scalp

ctmax
04-30-2007, 02:39 PM
I have an almost 2 year old and he will not stop scratching his head. It's to the point he is making it bleed a little. I have checked over and over again to make sure it is not lice and I can not see anything. My mother in law told me to keep puting baby oil on it, so I tried, that didn't seem to do much other than make his hair really gross. I thought of switching shampoo but I have used gerber baby wash since the day he was born and it never bothered him before. I'm at a loss and if it doesn't clear up soon I will be taking him to the doctor.

DQ
04-30-2007, 02:45 PM
Maybe you should try a lice treatment anyway? :shrug: I hope it clears up soon whatever it is :hug:

candicane
04-30-2007, 02:46 PM
Since you cannot see anything obvious (like the lice) maybe he has dry skin. I would take him to a pediatric dermatologist since he is scratching so much. My scalp gets itchy in the winter from dryness. How often do you wash his hair?

candice

ctmax
04-30-2007, 02:51 PM
Thanks for the fast replys I usually only wash his hair every 2 - 3 days, but I have only washed his hair once in the last 6 days hoping that would help. He doesn't scratch all day long. Like right now he is so busy playing he hasn't scratched in about 3 hours, but then when he starts scratching it's hard to distract him.

Chel
04-30-2007, 03:01 PM
How long has this been going on? Lice treatments are REALLY harsh so I would be reluctant to do that unless I was sure they were the culprit.

Has he had a recent growth spurt? I have seen that cause everything from itching (due to skin stretching) to muscle cramps.

I would try lotion. It may absorb better into his skin.

But if he has broken the skin I would make a Dr Appt. but until the appt I would trim his nails, and wash his hands frequently to reduce the chance of him infecting the scratches.

CarmenIbanez
04-30-2007, 03:20 PM
Neutragena makes a shampoo just for itchy dry scalp. I have a real problem with itchy scalp. I don't have dandruff or any other condition, but it itches badly when it is dry. The shampoo is called t/gel and here (http://www.neutrogena.com/ProductsDetails_63.asp) is the link. It is very gentle and it really controls my itchy.

feministmama
04-30-2007, 04:17 PM
When I get itchy I do vinegar rinse before I shampoo. I use half cup of vinegar and half cup of plain ole water. I pour it over my head and rub it in. Let it sit for minute and rinse. Then shampoo as normal. It gets all the gunk and dirt and oliy stuff off my scalp and really allows the shampoo to clean real good.

PinkRoses
04-30-2007, 04:21 PM
Do you think he may have eczema? :?? I feel for anyone with an itchy scalp. I have eczema on different parts of my body and when it flares, I always end up with an itchy scalp but it looks like nothing is wrong. Ocassionaly I get red spots up there. I was diagnosed with atopic eczema.

Stiney
04-30-2007, 04:22 PM
Just because he's never been allergic to the shampoo before doesn't mean he can't develop an allergy. I would try switching to something gentle and/or hypoallergenic. Maybe the Johnson & Johnson no tears one?

Kaydee
04-30-2007, 04:30 PM
Poor little guy. I have psoriasis on my scalp and it always itches like crazy, so I know how bad it can be. I have to use that T/Gel shampoo very often for it. While its not too bad, its probably not something you might want to use on a little guy (it can sting really bad when you get it in you eyes). I'd suggest going to the derm to see if there is something they can recommend.

Mommy22alyns
04-30-2007, 05:08 PM
I have to battle a dry, itchy scalp quite a lot too. Try switching shampoos for him, maybe to one without sulfates (which can be very drying). Tea tree shampoos can help as well.

dustinac
04-30-2007, 05:12 PM
My son has this.. it seems to come and go with the change of weather.. they have http://www.dermarest.com/prod.html]psoriasis ( [url) shampoo[/url] that our dr told us to look for... this helped it quite a bit.. when its not bad we change to selsun blue this helps as well.. they can also prescribe a medicated shampoo but we haven't done that yet...Isaiah was about your little boys age when it started it..

it can be bothering to them.. we also keep his hair cut short seems when he is outside playing and sweating it gets worse.. if we keep it short it doesn't get as bad.. once you get it under control it is managable it is just finding something that works for them...I would prolly make an appt and check with your dr and see.. he also recommended baby oil on the spot too...

AnaK
04-30-2007, 07:21 PM
I would definitly take him to dermatologist. There are few conditions that can cause itching.
I feel for the little guy, hope it stops soon. :pout:

five_six
04-30-2007, 07:43 PM
You know, my little girl has this exact same issue... she wakes herself up at night with the constant itching, and she sounds like she is ripping chunks out of her head she itches so hard, I can't stand to hear it. She's been doing this for as long as she has been able to get her hands to her head to scratch, and she's almost three now.

My mum recommended the oil thing too, and always a hat, cause their scalps are quite delicate and a bit of sunburn is easy for them to get. I have noticed a hat did help (hated the oil thing), but she still scratches. We use baby shampoos, and she still itches. Her dad is Maltese and she already has 'sweat' issues (poor girl), and i've contemplated cutting her hair, (if she were a boy, i'd shave it off), but I don't really want to do that. I'm at a loss as to what to do as well. My doctor just sort of fobs me off about it. She seems to scratch more at the area from behind her ears to the back of her scalp, not the top of her head, and I've noticed her lymph glands always seem to be 'up' behind her ears, but again, my doctor always said, 'oh, she's teething'... well not anymore she's not :shrug:

I really feel for her, it must be horrible. I know when I do a bit of exercise, my head can get itchy, and it drives me nuts, so I don't know how she manages to not be a cranky little one cause of this all the time. It has me stumped though.

ctmax
04-30-2007, 10:43 PM
five_six that is the exact area my son is scratching, never the top of his head either. After I wrote this question he never did it again today, but he has been doing this on and off for about a week and a half so I'm sure that is not the end of it. I considered shaving his hair off as well. He took a very long time to even get hair I would really hate to just shave it off. He will be 2 in June and he has never had a hair cut and it isn't even that long. He could probably just use a trim around the ears. We will see how tomorrow goes. Thanks for all the replys. Teri

ecb
04-30-2007, 11:30 PM
I would totaly avoid Lice shampoos, but if you are going to find lice, or eveidence of lice, they will be behind the ears

T-gel is great stuff, put a bit on the head, rub it in, and let it sit a few min, then rince well, and shampoo with any other shampoo you want after that.

Tea tree oil is great for that too

good luck

nuknitter
05-01-2007, 02:11 AM
Hi Teri!! Sent you a pm...

~J.

jess_hawk
05-01-2007, 02:55 AM
Hope you find something to help your son. I have an itchy spot on my ankle which I have scratched clear through the skin on more than one occaission, so even though my head never itches more than normal, I know how it feels. Fortunately for me, I dont' have to worry about making my hair all nasty putting lotion or baby oil on my ankle, I just have to pay attention and make sure I'm not scratching it idly because once I start even if I think "Wow, I should stop, I'm going to scratch through the skin again" its hard to actually stop.