PDA

View Full Version : Stuck! knitted hooded sweater pattern

verykerry
04-30-2007, 04:53 PM
hi guys,

i've just been plugging away at this free pattern i got from the lionbrand website (pasted below) and have hit a wall now that i am at the instructions for the hood.

The hood section starts by asking me to pick up stitches at the neckline. That must mean that at some point i should have already sewn the back and front pieces together, right?

The problem is, my back piece is still on a stitch holder and it's just a plain rectangle (no shaping). The instructions for it end at that point and i don't find a place where it picks back up. Now i have a bound off front piece with neck shaping and a back piece that has no shaping and is just on a stitch holder. I have no idea what to do with the back piece so that i can attach it to the front piece. do i just bind the whole thing off like a rectangle?

I'm really knew at this so i'm hoping one of the resident experts here can see what i'm missing!

Thanks in advance!

Here is the pattern:

khs-hoodedSweater (Lion Brand)

STITCH EXPLANATION
3-needle bind off With RS together, hold in one hand
two needles with equal number of stitches on each. (1)
With third needle, knit tog one st from each needle;
(2) *knit tog one st from each needle, (3) pass first st
worked over second to bind off; rep from * across to
last st. Cut working yarn and pull through last st to
secure.

BACK
With smaller needles, cast on 68 sts. Work in St st for 6 rows. Work in k1, p1 rib for 6 rows. Change to larger needles. Work in St st
until piece measures 27" from beg or desired length. Place
all sts on spare needle or holder.

FRONT
Work same as Back until piece measures 25", from beg, ending with a WS row.
Shape neck: Next row (RS) K 25 sts, join a 2nd ball
of yarn and loosely bind off center 18sts, k 25 sts. Working both sides at the same time with separate balls of yarn, bind off 2 sts at each neck edge once, then dec 1 st at each neck edge every other
row twice. Work even until same length as Back to shoulder.
Work 3-needle bind off on 21sts for each shoulder seam. Bind off center Back 26sts.

SLEEVES
With smaller needles, cast on 30 sts. Work in St st for
6 rows, then in k1, p1 rib for 6 rows.
Change to larger needles. Work in St st, inc 1 st each edge of second RS row, then every
4th row 13 more times (56 sts). Work even until Sleeve measures 17"
from beg or desired length. Bind off loosely.

HOOD
With RS facing and larger needles, pick up and k 54 sts around neck, starting at right side of neck and leaving center 18 sts free. Work in St st for 12", inc 6 sts evenly spaced across first row -- (60 sts around neck).
Placing half of Hood sts on second needle, work 3-needle bind
off across Hood top seam.
Facing edging With RS facing and smaller needle, pick up approximately 67 sts around front edge of Hood. Work in k1, p1 rib for 6 rows. Work in St st for 6 rows. Bind off loosely on
last row with larger needle. Sew rib/roll Front at center neck, overlapping center fronts
(left over right for male; right over left for female).

FINISHING
Mark 61/2 (7, 71/2, 8)"; 9 (91/2, 10, 101/2, 11, 111/2)" down from each shoulder seam. Sew
Sleeves to body between these markers. Sew side and Sleeve seams. At roll edge of
Sleeves and body, reverse seam to RS for neater roll. Weave in ends.

Ingrid
04-30-2007, 05:08 PM
Work 3-needle bind off on 21sts for each shoulder seam. Bind off center Back 26sts.

Here's what you missed. You should have worked the shoulders together in a three-needle bind off and then bound off the center back 26.

You can still do it, or you can just bind off the back and sew the shoulders together.

If you want to do the 3nbo, which makes a beautiful shoulder seam, you can pick out the last stitch of the front and pop out the bind off.

verykerry
04-30-2007, 05:41 PM
whoa...that's a big thing i missed.
thanks ingrid...you're a lifesaver!
i can't wait to fix this and finish it now!

dakatzmeow
05-01-2007, 05:35 PM
and we can't wait to hear how it goes! :hug:

verykerry
05-01-2007, 05:54 PM
i'll take a pic and post it when i'm done.

if you saw what i actually did.... wow, i'd win some award for the most strangest way to do it wrong.

i did three needle bind off without the back ...THEN i tried knitting the hood onto JUST the front piece. needless to say...it looked really weird.

:cheering: