PDA

View Full Version : Help with pattern

cookworm
05-01-2007, 07:36 PM
I'm having trouble with figuring out how to do a border on this shawl (http://web.archive.org/web/20020819095026/www.balart.com/CANDLE.HTM) that I'm working on.

The directions say this:
- Garter Stitch Border -
CO 10 sts.
K 9, Sl 1, (K 2 tog, pass sl st over), turn and knit back out to to the edge of border. Continue in this manner until all the stitches along the top have been worked. BO 10 sts loosely.

Why are they telling you to cast on 10 stitches when there's already tons of stitches on the needle? So you cast on ten stitches, then knit nine, slip one, then K2tog, pass the slipped stitch over, then you turn and knit back--is this like short rows? So are you doing this pattern in incremints of ten stitches (because it's telling you to "continue in this manner until all of the stitches along the top have been worked")? I'm so confused!!! :gah:

five_six
05-01-2007, 07:48 PM
No, your not short rowing, your doing a strip of 10 stitches and using the slip, knit2tog to join each row onto your current knitting, so instead of the garter running along the long edge of your shawl in a horizontal fashion, it will be vertical, so it will run at a 90 degree angle out from your shawl.

Not sure if I'm terrible clear on this one...

cookworm
05-01-2007, 08:09 PM
Dee--that helps A LOT! Thank you!!! :muah: I would've never imagined that this pattern was telling you to knit the border vertically to the shawl.

If I'm understanding you correctly:
So what I'll do is to cast on ten stitches, knit nine, then slip one (that will be knitting what I just casted on), then I'll K2tog and PSSO--the K2tog being two stitches that were part of the shawl?

five_six
05-01-2007, 08:16 PM
:thumbsup:

That should be it... your rows are bigger than your stitch normally, so doing two from the shawl, should compensate for the height of the row.

Let us know how it goes though, I've been following your KAL thread avidly, as I plan to make one for myself soon, I just have too much else otn at the moment though. I'll be mailing out 3 items later this week that I'm finishing up, so maybe I'll be able to join you guys after that. Here's hoping anyways.

cookworm
05-01-2007, 08:27 PM
Ummm.... :oops: I too have a lot on the needles that I really should've finished up before I started this shawl....but....um...I started on it anyway. :oops: I truly have no self-discipline! :teehee: Whenever you're ready, come on in and join the KAL. It's a really amazing shawl because it looks much harder than it really is.

One other question--what kind of cast on would you do for the ten stitches for the border? I was thinking backwards loop.

five_six
05-01-2007, 08:38 PM
I tend to mostly use long tail cast on, not sure if backwards loop would be a bit too loose and make one of the edges look funny. You know, I'm not sure if i would like the border done the way they are suggesting. It will end up making the triangle have and edging that has straight sides instead of continuing in the triangle shape. I don't see why you couldn't have your garter running the other way, so it is parallel to the shawl, and I would probably increase either end every other row, so that when it's bound off, it has increased the triangle shape up the edges of the garter border. But then, I'm a bit iffy about the whole garter thing on this lovely shawl. I've been trying to think what I would do to finish it off myself, but figured I'd cross that bridge when I come to it.

You know, I may just cast on for this myself today... even if I only do a few rows each day, at least that's some progress I suppose.

cookworm
05-02-2007, 12:22 AM
Dee, just a warning, I did do the garter stitch border parallel to the shawl because I wasn't able to figure out the directions as they were written, and the whole top of my shawl buckled. I was really disappointed, because after all of that work, it looked kind of crummy the more I kept looking at it. I frogged the bind off and ripped out my border and I'm going to add a few more repeats to bulk up my shawl; after looking at some FO's of it online, mine seems a bit skimpy. Once I have it exactly where I want it, I'm going to do the garter stitch border the way it's written; I think that method must prevent it from getting wavy and must help it to lay flat. I wasn't thrilled with a garter stitch border either because I think it detracts a bit from the intricacy of the shawl pattern, but I'm not creative enough to figure out another solution. :teehee:

five_six
05-02-2007, 12:46 AM
hmmm... yes, I forgot about the rippling problem. This is going to take a bit more thought I think, I just don't like that garter - you are right, it detracts from the intricacy of the shawl. I wouldn't mind it so much if it was more of a shawl collar type thing instead of a straight bar of garter, then I could accept that it was to wrap around the neck. You know, this could make a cool poncho to, then you could get rid of the border all together.

Much more thinking to be done on this matter me believes :teehee:

LoAnnie
05-02-2007, 03:00 PM
Another cast on you could use is the "knitting on" cast on. It works pretty well for adding stitches in the middle of a row or wherever they need to be added.

PS also when I was doing something like this on a lace scarf, I put the live stitches on a piece of yarn and when you K2tog, you can pull it off the yarn. Or if you are using circular needles, use a separte set of needles for the border, and pull the circlular out when you're done.