PDA

View Full Version : "Sexy Little Knits" Pattern Error? Help!

Kimberly Dawn
05-01-2007, 08:22 PM
So I've tried and tried to start this Mesh Long Nightgown in Ashley Paige's "Sexy Little Knits" book, however-I just can't seem to get it right. So looking for help via the internet I discovered others finding pattern errors within the book, and writing her site and her publisher's and not receiving responses (how rude!). Anyway, I was wondering if anyone could help me with this pattern and possibly spot the error:

"Simple" Mesh
Row 1: Knit 1, *knit 2 together, yarn over, repeat from *, end knit 1.

Row 2 and 4: Purl

Row 3: *knit 2 together, yarn over, repeat from *, end knit 2

If there is anyone out there who could help me with this I would be exceedingly grateful!

Thanks in advance,

-Kimberly

tarrentella
05-02-2007, 04:03 AM
what problems are you having with the pattern that makes you think there might be an error?

Kimberly Dawn
05-02-2007, 06:40 PM
Oh...I guess I probably should have mentioned that originally, huh (oops! sorry)

Well, I cast on 110 stitches as the pattern requires and by the time I reach the 3rd row I've somehow decreased to 108 stitches. I take my time and am very cautious not to let a stitch slip so how can this be happening? I've ripped out my work and tried and tried again-may times. So, I can't come up with any other explanation other than there is a minor pattern error somewhere...also apparently other women have discovered errors in the patterns within the same book. I've searched for links for corrections, but there appear to be none unfortunately...*sigh*

five_six
05-02-2007, 06:42 PM
You shouldn't be losing any stitches based on the pattern info you've provided. Each k2tog is replaced by a yo, which keeps your stitch count consistant. Are you absolutely sure you are doing every yo. That's the only think I can think of :shrug:

knitqueen
05-02-2007, 06:43 PM
As long as you have the same number of increases (yarn overs) and decreases (k2tog) your stitch count should not change. I can't see that there would be an error in the mesh pattern as you have it written out. My two guesses would be that you're accidentally missing yarn overs, or you are not doing the yarn overs correctly. It is a common mistake.

Kimberly Dawn
05-02-2007, 10:45 PM
Well, I suppose it's worth another try. It is always possible that I missed a yarn over at some point...I'll try again and be take extra care Thanks!

madametj
05-02-2007, 10:52 PM
omg, I have these twin cousins name Kimberly Joy and Kendra Dawn, so its like idk, awesome that ur name is Kimberly Dawn.

Welcome to KH :waving:

Kimberly Dawn
05-03-2007, 08:11 AM
Haha, that is funny-thanks. :)

Kimberly Dawn
05-03-2007, 08:21 AM
So I tried yet again last night and I only cast on and knit the first row-taking great care (at least I thought) not to forget a yarnover, and when I finished the row I counted only 109 stitches! gr what am I doing wrong?! :(

five_six
05-03-2007, 09:41 AM
Hmmm... I have no idea what could be happening, are you sure your casting on the right amount? I just cast on 110 (had to count 4 times though, kept counting wrong, that's the reason I ask if your co the right amount), and did the first row, and I had 110 at the end of it, so I'm not sure where you might be going wrong. :shrug: I almost forgot the last yo at the end before the K1 too, but like I said, I'm not sure where you are going wrong. Terribly frustrating for you.

efsaturn
05-03-2007, 05:18 PM
One thing I do when casting on and counting is I place stitch markers at every 10th or 20th stitch and that way I can place more reliance on my counting.

Kimberly Dawn
05-03-2007, 07:01 PM
Oh wow...I feel like a complete idiot. I <finally just realized what I kept doing wrong...I kept skipping over the very last yarn over...don't ask me how I miraculously came to this conclusion. My boyfriend joked that it took heavy bass for me to have this epiphany, lol ('cause we were listening to some new tracks he may spin at the local goth club), hehe, anyway...Thank you so much everyone who attempted to help me! I feel like such a fool now, and am sorry if I wasted anyone's time. I guess it's just another example of how our brain's can play tricks on us...like when we're editing our own papers and skip over grammar mistakes because we know what it should say. Well, back to the knitting!

Thanks again!

Jellyfruits
03-01-2011, 12:12 AM
So I've tried and tried to start this Mesh Long Nightgown in Ashley Paige's "Sexy Little Knits" book, however-I just can't seem to get it right. So looking for help via the internet I discovered others finding pattern errors within the book, and writing her site and her publisher's and not receiving responses (how rude!). Anyway, I was wondering if anyone could help me with this pattern and possibly spot the error:

"Simple" Mesh
Row 1: Knit 1, *knit 2 together, yarn over, repeat from *, end knit 1.

Row 2 and 4: Purl

Row 3: *knit 2 together, yarn over, repeat from *, end knit 2

If there is anyone out there who could help me with this I would be exceedingly grateful!

Thanks in advance,

-Kimberly
Often times, the patterns she uses in her book are not the same as the ones displayed in the photos. You can find pattern this particular pattern in "A Treasury of Knitting Patterns", but then you'll have to alter the design so that the pattern flows clean throughout the entire piece. I've given up on it and am now struggling with the Bathing Beauty Robe. My gauge is horribly off.

The outfits are cute, but the instructions are garbage. You almost become a designer yourself!

This post is old, so if you need more info let me know & I'll hunt it down for ya!

:)

salmonmac
03-01-2011, 07:04 AM
It is frustrating especially when you're working with so many sts. You could try looking at your finished knit row and checking that you see the yo after each k2tog. Alternatively, on the purl rows, check that you are purling into a yo between the k2togs. If you find you've missed one, you can correct it by picking up the bar between sts and continue purling. Once you've finished a number of rows, this pattern will become more of a habit and you'll be less likely to miss sts. Good luck!

hookedonknitting
03-18-2011, 11:37 PM
Have you tried using stitch markers to find out where you might be going wrong? Whenever I can't get my numbers right I do this and mysteriously I don't have a problem anymore! :)