PDA

View Full Version : I'm taking a trip

aprildavis99
05-02-2007, 12:14 AM
My work is sending me to a conference in June and I will be flying there. Can I take plastic circs on the plane as carry-on? Can I take any type in my non-carry-on luggage? or am I reduced to reading the entire trip?

jess_hawk
05-02-2007, 01:12 AM
Have you checked the airline website for prohibited items?

I'm off to Alaska in a week and a half so I had to check because I'm taking basically several knives NOT IN CARRY ONS (sorry for being a little forceful with that but the first thing everyone says when I explain which knives I'm taking - a multitool, my silverware knife, a good lockback, and two cheaper knives I like to use on wood, either cutting it or whittling - is "Not in your carry on!" and my response is, do you think I'm stupid? I've flown halfway around the world, twice, and around the country several times... by now I know knives don't go in the carry on!). Anyway, I have to double check knitting needles but I'm pretty sure that they're allowed.

Luck!

Jan in CA
05-02-2007, 01:26 AM
Yes, you can take knitting needles according to TSA. However the final decision is up to the airlines so check with them. Also international flights may not apply.

I just flew to MI and back with no problems. They didn't even bat an eye.

zkimom
05-02-2007, 06:43 AM
My experience is that you are better off checking your knitting in your luggage just to be on the safe side.

When my dh and I flew to Paris last month, he strongly discouraged me from taking my knitting (even my Denises) on board with me. He travels all the time and said, it doesn't matter what the regs say, it matters who is checking you in at the time.

So there we were on a flight from Paris to London when the head flight attendant tried to tell my dh that his regulation size suitcase wasn't going to fit in the overhead. :!!!: Nobody else had blinked at his suitcase and he takes it all over the world without a problem, but this lady was going to make it one. Finally, the pilot came out and told dh to try and get it in the overhead and if it did, there was no issue. So, he put it in and that was that. The flight attendant dripped ice the rest of the (blessedly short) flight. But she had been determined to send him back on the bus we had just driven up in, back to the terminal, to miss our already very delayed flight on order to check his regulation size carry-on bag.

Why? It looked too big to her. Did she measure it? No. She didn't feel she had to. It looked too big to her, she is the head flight attendant and if the pilot hadn't stepped in, that was going to be that.

So if you meet someone looks at your needles and only sees dangerous pointy things or a potential garotte, it won't matter what it says in the book. :whoosh: And you standing there, arguing your case in your bare feet and without your jacket and your belt, and all your worldly possessions in a plastic bin on a moving table isn't a pretty picture. (Did I mention all those people in line behind you, in their bare feet, with their pants falling down, trying to get through security to make their flights while you argue about taking your knitting on the plane?)

I think it's great that some people have made it on the plane with their knitting but I personally would not take that chance.

Bring an ipod or a good book, or better yet, take a nap. :sleepy:

Just my .02!

Susan

bailsmom
05-02-2007, 01:52 PM
My experience is that you are better off checking your knitting in your luggage just to be on the safe side.

When my dh and I flew to Paris last month, he strongly discouraged me from taking my knitting (even my Denises) on board with me. He travels all the time and said, it doesn't matter what the regs say, it matters who is checking you in at the time.

I don't mean for this to sound snotty or disrespectful, but what's the point of an airline having rules & regulations if someone checking to make sure you aren't carrying a bomb on board has the final say??

I don't understand at all. :??

aprildavis99
05-02-2007, 05:02 PM
Ok. I can read during the flight. No problem. As long as I can knit for the rest of the trip. Ok...I can breath better now. Thanks everyone.