PDA

View Full Version : OT favorite salad

ctmax
05-02-2007, 09:54 AM
I was just wondering if everyone has a favorite salad they make to bring to get togethers? I had a pasta one, but my sister decided to make it, now I have to think of another salad to bring for my dads birthday on friday. :heart: to hear any suggustions.

candicane
05-02-2007, 10:11 AM
Don't know if you are looking for a meatless salad, but this chicken salad is my favorite. I use toasted pecans instead of walnuts and make my own poppy seed dressing:

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/recipe_views/views/1763

candice

Carla1019
05-02-2007, 10:22 AM
Here are two easy salad recipes and one dessert. I alway bring home a empty bowl.

Angel Salad
12 oz cram cheese (softened)
3/4 cup sugar
1 1/2 tea vanilla Cream cheese with the sugar and vanilla
1 can drained fruit cocktail
1 can drained crushed pineapple Add these 2 can to above mix.
1 large carton cool whip add this to mix
1/2 to 1 cup pecans ( you don't have to add nuts)

Double this if you there is more then about 10 people.

That's it salad

1 (12oz) cool whip
1 (12oz) cottage cheese
1 box orange jello Add Jello to cool whip, fold in cottage cheese.
1 (16oz) can crushed pineapple (drained) Add to mix

Refrigerate 1 to 2 hours

Pie (Dessert)
1 graham cracker crust
1 small can frozen lemonade
1 can Eagle brand condensed milk
1 small cool whip
mix lemonade with milk, blend well. Add cool whip them pour into crust. Must stay refrigerated.

brendajos
05-02-2007, 10:29 AM
You could always do snickers salad. I believe the numbers below are correct... i rarely make it cuz that's mom's job.

6 Regular sized snickers candy bars
6 apples (i use 3 red and 3 green just to be pretty)
1 container of cool whip

cut up the first two ingredients to bite sized pieces mix with the third ingredient and chill.

yes i know... i told my mom that was revolting when she made it the first time too. it's deeeelishus! I promise!

Silver
05-02-2007, 10:32 AM
I'm asked to bring a Chicken Caesar Salad to every get-together I go to. So easy, and there are NEVER any leftovers.

3 bags of prepared romaine lettuce
1 bottle of Caesar dressing (get the good stuff in the refrigerated produce section)
2 packages of grilled chicken breast (sliced & ready to eat)
1 jar of shredded Parmesan cheese (again, get the good stuff)
1 box of Caesar flavored croutons (I like Marie Callenders)
Optional: 1 can of anchovies

I get one of the big aluminum disposable turkey roasting pans to put it in. And I make the salad once I get to the party because the lettuce will begin to wilt as soon as you make it.

Directions: Mix everything together sans the croutons. Use your clean, gloved hands to mix it all up. Trust me, it's just easier.
Sprinkle croutons on top.
Put the anchovies in a dish on the side, because not everyone is Italian. ;)

SandraEllen
05-02-2007, 10:35 AM
That's it salad

1 (12oz) cool whip
1 (12oz) cottage cheese

Refrigerate 1 to 2 hours

My mom makes this one all the time and I LOVE it! The only difference is that she uses lime jello instead of orange.

mmmmm.......
:drool:

knit-errant
05-02-2007, 11:26 AM
Here are a couple of fruity salads I make a lot:

Cherry Fluff
1 can cherry pie filling
1 regular size tub Cool Whip (you can use reduced fat, and it tastes fine)
1 small can crushed pineapple, drained
1 small can sweetened condensed milk

Dump everything except condensed milk in a bowl; stir. Add condensed milk til you like the consistency (I usually use about a half a can).

New York Salad (Guess my husband's grandmother got the recipe in New York; don't know why else it would be called that! ;) )
2 sweet apples, chopped
2 bananas, sliced
1 can mandarin oranges, drained
1 large can pineapple tidbits, drained but reserving juice
1 tub Cool Whip
1/2 bag small marshmallows, optional (husband's family likes the multi-colored ones)

In saucepan, combine 1 cup sugar, 1 TBS flour, 1 TBS cornstarch. Add one beaten egg. Add reserved pineapple juice and bring to a boil. Once boiling, add container Cool Whip, stirring til dissolved. Pour over fruit mixture and stir. Fold in marshmallows when mixture is slightly cooled.

cookworm
05-02-2007, 11:27 AM
I'm asked to bring a Chicken Caesar Salad to every get-together I go to. So easy, and there are NEVER any leftovers.

Mmmm....my FAVORITE, Silver! :drool: So, where's your next get-together going to be at? :shifty: :rofl:

debinoz
05-02-2007, 11:43 AM
My Mom used to bring the cherry fluff that knit-errant suggested, but she added pecans to it..... YUMMY!!!!! too bad it's got about a million calories a spoonfull!

I usually throw together a pasta salad that has:

1- sm. bag rotini, cooked drained and cooled
1- can corn, drained
1- sm. tomato, diced
1/2 cup diced cucumber
1/2 cup diced gr. bell pepper
1- bottle zesty italian salad dressing
(optional) 2- diced green onions
salt and pepper to taste

Dump it all together, stir, and refridgerate for at least 12 hours before serving, stirring at least twice.

orcoastknitter
05-02-2007, 11:46 AM
I have three favorites. Chinese Chicken Salad, Rasberry Pretzel Jello Salad and Banana Pineapple Jello Salad with Monterey Jack Cheese (sounds strange but it's yummy).

MoniDew
05-02-2007, 01:44 PM
I find myself giggling at what others describe as a "salad." California girl, here, (although I currently live in Oklahoma,) I think of a salad as VEGETABLES. Oh, well. To each, her own.

California Cobb Salad

Salad

Mixed salad greens
Shredded Carrot
Green onion slices

Dressing

2 Tablespoons red wine vinegar
2 Tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil

In a small bowl, whisk the dressing ingredients, pour over salad greens. Toss to combine.

In decorative fashion on the top of the salad, arrange:

Cubes or thin slices of grilled chicken
Crumbled cooked bacon (use turkey bacon, if desired)
Avocado wedges (perfectly ripe! not over or under)
Bleu Cheese crumbles (pick a good quality, like Roquefort and use sparingly)
Tomato wedges
Hard boiled egg wedges

Now, THAT'S a salad!! :roflhard:

CarmenIbanez
05-02-2007, 01:50 PM
My signature salad is an asian chicken salad.

1-2 bags of spring mix
1 bag of chow mein noodles (or wonton strips)
1 can of mandarin oranges
1 bag of seasoned and roasted sliced almonds
1-2 breasts of roasted chicken
1 cucumber
2 shredded carrots

The recipe doesn't have to be exact. Throw some of each in a bowl, layering the ingredients. I use crap, I can't remember the name of the dressing I use? I'll have to look it up. Joes? Huh. I'll edit post later with dressing info.

KnittingNat
05-02-2007, 01:59 PM
I'm with MoniDew here. Salad is definitely vegetables :)

my favourite for the summer

1 tomato
1 cucumber
baby leaves (that's how we call it here - all kinds of lettuce and stuff)
a few leaves of spinach
a red sweet pepper (the big ones)
onion - optional

salt and pepper

dressing:
mix white wine vinegar, vegetable oil or olive oil, lemon juice, mustard, a bit of sugar and put it on the salad.

and of course the tuna winner

1 can of tuna (in oil)
1 can of sweet corn (or 2 if more than 3-4 people)
fresh champignon mushrooms
1 tablespoon of mayonese

yummy...

orcoastknitter
05-02-2007, 02:08 PM
I find myself giggling at what others describe as a "salad." California girl, here, (although I currently live in Oklahoma,) I think of a salad as VEGETABLES. Oh, well. To each, her own.
:roflhard:

I am from California too! My father used to haul produce for a living. I ate tons of salad when I was growing up. They aren't my favorite, but I like them from time to time, especially with ranch dressing!

CarmenIbanez
05-02-2007, 02:32 PM
:roflhard:

I am from California too! My father used to haul produce for a living. I ate tons of salad when I was growing up. They aren't my favorite, but I like them from time to time, especially with ranch dressing!

Well come on. What ISN'T good with ranch dressing?

Ingrid
05-02-2007, 02:48 PM
Not exactly a salad, but when I have people over or bring Deviled Eggs to a gathering, they disappear fast!

Carla1019
05-02-2007, 02:55 PM
I find myself giggling at what others describe as a "salad." California girl, here, (although I currently live in Oklahoma,) I think of a salad as VEGETABLES. Oh, well. To each, her own.[quote]

:roflhard: That funny,, because when my kids were younger they call all the Vegetables.............Salad..... :roflhard:

syndactylus
05-02-2007, 06:27 PM
german potato salad:
unpeeled potatoes, sliced
baby dill pickles, sliced
dill seed
vinegar
tiny bit of sugar
you pour 1/2 cup of potato water over the sliced potatoes, then it sits out for a while, then you put in the other stuff, then it sits again.

CA fruitcake salad:
baby spinach
apple slices
walnuts or almonds or some other nuts
crumbled blue cheese
raspberry dressing, or not
maybe there were other things in there, but I forget.

I also love just sliced tomatoes and mozzarella and olives. but I don't know if that counts as salad?

oh & seaweed salad with sesame seeds, but I can't make that.

brokenblossoms
05-02-2007, 06:31 PM
Tons of dark leafy greens with spinach, cucumbers, and shredded carrots is my personal fave. Or, fruit salad with big chunks-O-mango, melon, apple, grapes, etc. Yummy!

cookworm
05-02-2007, 10:28 PM
When I was a kid, we'd thin out sour cream, and then put some sliced fresh cucumbers right from the garden (best served cold) and salt and pepper to taste; you can substitute yogurt for the sour cream of course. Thin slivers of onion or green onion/scallions are a great addition, too. Every time I taste this salad, it reminds me of summer with fresh veggies from my dad's garden. :drool: You can make it like a Greek tzatziki by adding some olive oil and lemon juice to it along with some mint and fresh minced garlic. One of the best parts in my opinion of eating a gyro is the tzatziki sauce! :rofl:

Another idea is from a restaurant that served a southwestern salad which had iceberg lettuce, black beans, corn, diced tomatoes, and diced red onions in it, served with a southwestern ranch dressing which was really good, and quick and easy to put together.

Or you can take some beautifully ripe tomatoes and slice them into rounds, some fresh mozzarella cut into rounds, and some fresh bay leaves, sprinkle some salt and freshly grated pepper onto everything, then lightly drizzle some extra virgin olive oil over everything.

Antipasto is good too--a nice variety of really tasty things like good cured meats, cheeses, and relishes.

Now I'm very hungry!

cheley
05-02-2007, 11:48 PM
Here ya go: 1 head broccoli
1 lb bacon ( I usually leave out since I'm a vegetarian)
1 small onion or scallion
1 c grated cheddar cheese

Dressing: 1/4 c Hellman's or Miracle Whip
1 tblsp vinegar (white)
1/4 c sugar
1/4 c milk
Brown bacon to crisp, crumble add to broccoli, onion and grated cheese...Whisk all dressing ingredients. Pour half dressing over broccoli and refrigerate...then pour rest over remaining.... I like to add cashews and raisins too... Best made the same day as served :hug:

BinkyKat
05-03-2007, 12:01 AM
Here's my offering...
I got this from a "Sensibly Thin" cookbook...funny because I love this so much I will eat bowls and bowls of it. It's best made a day in advance or at least give it several hours to absorb the flavors. I've always gotten good reviews at potlucks and you can add/subtract whatever you like if you're not into onion or whatever. The "dressing" gives it just the right touch of sweet/sour

LUNCHEON CHICKEN SALAD

1 cup uncooked orzo or rosamarina (rice shaped pasta)
3 cups cooked chicken, cubed
2 cups seedless red grapes, halved
1 cup celery, chopped
cup onion, chopped
1 can (20 oz) pineapple chunks, drained reserving liquid
1 can (11 oz) mandarin oranges, drained
cup slivered almonds, toasted

Dressing
cup packed brown sugar
cup reserved pineapple liquid
1/3 cup vinegar
1 Tbsp oil
1 Tbsp soy sauce

Cook pasta according to package directions.
Combine cooled pasta with rest of salad ingredients.
Mix dressing ingredients in jar with tight lid and shake well. Pour over salad and mix well.
Cover and refridgerate.
Garnish with toasted almonds just before serving.

brendajos
05-03-2007, 12:52 AM
Here's my offering...
I got this from a "Sensibly Thin" cookbook...funny because I love this so much I will eat bowls and bowls of it. It's best made a day in advance or at least give it several hours to absorb the flavors. I've always gotten good reviews at potlucks and you can add/subtract whatever you like if you're not into onion or whatever. The "dressing" gives it just the right touch of sweet/sour

LUNCHEON CHICKEN SALAD

1 cup uncooked orzo or rosamarina (rice shaped pasta)
3 cups cooked chicken, cubed
2 cups seedless red grapes, halved
1 cup celery, chopped
cup onion, chopped
1 can (20 oz) pineapple chunks, drained reserving liquid
1 can (11 oz) mandarin oranges, drained
cup slivered almonds, toasted

Dressing
cup packed brown sugar
cup reserved pineapple liquid
1/3 cup vinegar
1 Tbsp oil
1 Tbsp soy sauce

Cook pasta according to package directions.
Combine cooled pasta with rest of salad ingredients.
Mix dressing ingredients in jar with tight lid and shake well. Pour over salad and mix well.
Cover and refridgerate.
Garnish with toasted almonds just before serving.

I make a salad almost exactly like this except it is cheese tortelini pasta and the dressing is mayo (hellmans makes a lowfat one that actually tastes good!)

I do change things out as i feel like using them but that is one reason i love it so much... it is so versatile! yummy!

nadja la claire
05-03-2007, 09:07 AM
This is a salad that I used to make when I would cater fund raisers for some friends.

1 package of TJ's dried Pesto Tortellini
1 jar TJ's Bruchetta and 2 tbsp of high quality olive oil or 1 bottle Paul Newman's Roasted Garlic dressing
1/2 lb. medium shrimp
1 c kalamata olives
kosher or sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste

If using PN's dressing add enough mayo to make creamy, roasted red peppers to taste, grape tomatoes, diced red or sweet vidallia onion to taste

Cook TJ's tortellini until done about 15 min. Cook shrimp along with pasta for 2 to 3 min. then with straining spoon remove shrimp from water, continue to cook pasta until done or saute shrimp separately. This can be done a day ahead.
Allow pasta and shrimp to cool. Add other ingredients. Add a last minute touch of fresh basil leaves and fresh shaved Parmesan

It's been a while since I've made this so you may have to tweak the ingredients.

:muah: :hug:

Nadja xxx

janelanespaintbrush
05-03-2007, 09:18 AM
One of the best parts in my opinion of eating a gyro is the tzatziki sauce! :rofl:
Agreed! :heart: :drool:

ctmax
05-03-2007, 09:25 AM
Wow thanks for all the ideas. I have decided to make casear salad and this one

1 (12oz) cool whip
1 (12oz) cottage cheese

a lot of those salads sound so good I plan on trying them out with my family. All of you gals here are so great I knew you would give some idea of what to bring. Thanks Teri

Carla1019
05-03-2007, 04:20 PM
:cheering: WOW CtMax Picked one of my Salad :happydance:

:teehee: What do I win? :eyebrow: :cheering:

KnitClickChick
05-03-2007, 09:27 PM
I like to make fruit salad and dip for our food days at work. This is always well liked. I am sorry, I really don't have any specific measurements as far as the amount of fruit itself goes. I usually guesstimate for however many people are participating.

Basically, you can use any fruits available or whatever you like. I do cantaloupe, watermelon, honeydew, grapes, blueberries, strawberries, & kiwi.

The fruit dip is just equal parts marshmallow creme and room temp. cream cheese. Put the cream cheese in the mixer and start beating on medium speed. Add in the marshmallow and beat it until it is smooth and creamy. Then I like to add a few drops of vanilla extract, and a bit of maraschino cherry juice for a nice pink color.

Oooh... heehee. I just now see that you already chose your salad, lol. That sounds good!!!

ecb
05-03-2007, 09:33 PM
to bad you chose before I got here
Slice up some vine ripened tomatoes
alternate with slices of FRESH mozzarella (the kind that comes packing in watery stuff) with a Basil leaf on top of the cheese 9so it is also under the next Tomato slice)
then after you have such a PRETTY platter, drizzle with PURE Balsalmic Vinegar

Heaven on Earth, Pure Ambrosia (minus the marshmallows and coconut)

ecb

ctmax
05-03-2007, 11:04 PM
I actually was going to make Ambrosia, but couldn't find a recipe like my mom used to make.

snowbear
05-04-2007, 12:35 AM
ecb.... my favorite snack.. Nothing better.. hmmmm drooling here...lol

BinkyKat
05-04-2007, 12:35 AM
ECB, I like that type of salad...a mexican restaurant here of all places does something similar with alternating slices of tomato, cheese, and avocado with a basic dressing...LOOOOOveeee it!!!!!!! :happydance: