PDA

View Full Version : How do you "write" a pattern?

figaro
05-02-2007, 10:47 AM
I have ideas floating around in my head for some washcloths for different people, and of course I cannot find them on the net. So I am trying to "design" them myself and am wondering how other people have done this. Right now I am trying to make one for our old neighbor/realtor friend that sold our home, it has a sign on it with "For Sale" written it. But in order to bring what I see in my mind to life, I had to buy graph paper, shrink it, tape two pieces together (to get 40x40), copy it so it would be on one piece of paper, then draw the design-which meant drawing the the border then words on other a other piece of graph paper then cutting it to get it centered, then transferring it to the actual paper and now I am trying to write the instructions for both directions and then maybe I get to try and knit it.

And I have ideas for at least 3 or 4 more, so I am wondering for those of you that have done this before, is there a easier way to do this? It seems so easy when I think of it, but then trying to bring it to life seems like a longer process than it should be (or maybe I am just hoping there is a easier way! :teehee: )

Thanks for any and all help on this!

Debbie

Carla1019
05-02-2007, 11:06 AM
Here is a wed site someone posted (sorry I don 't remember who)
You can make your own graph paper. I have use it a few time, real easy.

http://www.tata-tatao.to/knit/matrix/e-index.html

Don't know if this web site will help you or not but here it is.

Have though about doing some designing myself but just seem to be over my head.

More power to you.. :cheering:

Calamintha
05-02-2007, 11:07 AM
You might want to try out Stitch and Motif Maker software. The company that puts it out has a free demo that you can download:

http://software4knitting.com/pstitchmotif/stmkr.htm

If you decide to buy it I think Knitpicks offers it at a lower price.

figaro
05-02-2007, 02:13 PM
I downloaded the free demo and I think this would definatly help me out! I even figured out one of the patterns I am wanting to make. And thanks a lot for pointing me towards Knitpicks, it is $20 cheaper there, now I just have to wait until we buy a house, hubby wants to buy me a new computer so I need to wait till then to buy it. :cheering:

CarmenIbanez
05-02-2007, 02:39 PM
My advice is to NOT worry about the "right way" to make a design or pattern. If you build it, they will come, so to speak. You can look at any pattern you've used and see the basic components. After that, the sky is the limit!

redwitch
05-03-2007, 07:42 AM
Knitpro's free online and can make your graph in knitter's ratio. I agree, print your own paper to your own particular desired gauge/ratio, and to the preferred size (search 'knitter's graph paper' to start). I'd normally say forget about the border and just do it in your head, and the important parts have graphed - like mentally reminding yourself that the first and last x stitches on your swatch need to be gartered - but if it's complicated enough for you to want to chart it, that's clearly not an option. For plain knits and purls to make text, you don't need knitter's graph paper, you can use square graphs, as long as you have considered that a square letter on the graph will be rectangular not square in the knitting - just scale up the ratio appropriately.
Sarah

SandraEllen
05-03-2007, 08:05 AM
This is the knitpro site sarah was talking about. you can import an image to it and it puts it to knit scale graph paper.

http://www.microrevolt.org/knitPro.htm