PDA

View Full Version : Baby bamboo

aethra
05-03-2007, 03:20 PM
Hey guys,

I'm generally a bit of a lurker, but my sister just made me an auntie, so I'm sharing with everyone right now! She delivered a little girl yesterday evening, 2 weeks early, 5lb13. So far she's called Abi (or Abigail), although they haven't fully decided yet. She has her dad's nose and mouth, and her mummy's eyes. Anyway, I'm :woot: , and today I hit the shops.

Having wanted to work with bamboo yarn for a while, I picked up a gorgeous cardigan pattern & some beautiful lilac Sirdar baby bamboo yarn (much to my family's surprise - "It's actually made of bamboo? I thought that was just the name. Weird." :roll: ). Pattern also has a blanket, and allows for different types of yarn.

Obviously, the bamboo is a bit more expensive than the Sirdar Snuggly acrylic/wool blend which is also featured... more than double the price... so my question is this. For a baby blanket, would it be worth the extra cost? It may take me a while to knit up - so she probably won't be a tiny baby by the time I finish. And it's not like she doesn't have blankets already. But it would be nice to have the items match. So have any of you guys made a blanket from bamboo yarn?

Incidentally, I spoke to my sister on the phone on Sunday night, and told her that I wouldn't knit anything else for her till the baby was born and I knew the gender. Within 24 hours, she was in hospital. Coincidence? :teehee: :wink:

remclave
05-03-2007, 03:46 PM
...Incidentally, I spoke to my sister on the phone on Sunday night, and told her that I wouldn't knit anything else for her till the baby was born and I knew the gender. Within 24 hours, she was in hospital. Coincidence? :teehee: :wink: :rofl: :cheering: :happydance: How cool is that?!

I don't know about the bamboo yarn though because I haven't been brave enough to order some yet... I can imagine that it is luxurious as all getout though. :muah:

LoAnnie
05-03-2007, 04:33 PM
The main concern I have for baby things is can they be washed. Babies make all kinds of messes, so most of the time being able to throw it in the wash is a must. But if it's washable or sis doesn't mind hand-washing, then go for it. It's great to have hierloom luxury baby items to pass on to the next baby or thier own children.

Just my 2 cents.

LoAnnie

KnitClickChick
05-03-2007, 06:33 PM
I think it would be nice for Abi to have something she could give to her own children some day, and in that case I would say the extra cost is worth it. However, as posted above, babies are messy. And if she reeeally likes it, she might just decide to drag it around everywhere with her when she's "on the move". So I think cleaning it could be a potential issue. Me, I would probably make something that your sister would just be able to throw in the wash, and save the bamboo for when baby grows into a little lady. Maybe you could teach her to knit, and the two of you could work on the blanket together and she will always have something to remind her of you.