PDA

View Full Version : - My attempt at writing a pattern

letah75
05-04-2007, 01:39 AM
Hi all. I've never done this before, so I was hoping I could get your opinion as to whether I've written/explained this correctly. Sometime my brain, and other people's brains, just don't work the same.

I'd really appreciate any suggestions/comments you have regarding my attempt at designing and writing my own pattern. Thanks in advance!

I've been wanting a bag that I can take with me when I go to the Farmer's Market, so I don't have to use plastic bags. Well, I haven't been able to find anything that I liked. So I decided I'm going to design my own. I've got the pattern down, and I'm in the process of knitting it up right now. This one is kind of a practice, just to see if I need to do any tweaking. One thing I am going to do is knit it on smaller needles next time. I don't have pictures yet, as...well...I just started knitting it. But here is the pattern:

24" circular needles (I used size 15, but I think next time I'll go down to a size 13)
Yarn: Lion brand cotton, or hemp, or linen (anything worsted weight, strong and not stretchy)

CO 120

Knit 5 rows straight knitting
Join in the round, knit two rounds

Begin Pattern stitch:

Row 1: K3, pm *K2tog, YO* (repeat 27 times), pm, K6, pm, *K2tog, YO* (repeat 27 times), K3
Row 2: Purl
Row 3: K3 *SKP, YO* (repeat 27 times), K6, *SKP, YO* (repeat 27 times), K3
Row 4: Purl

Repeat the Pattern stitch for desired length.

Knit 4 more rows (120 stitches).

Last row: Place 3 stitches on holder, bind off 57 stitches in pattern. Place the next 3 stitches on holder, bind off 57 stitches in pattern.

If you used a size 15 needle, knit the three remaining stitches with a size 13. If you used a size 13 needle, knit the three remaining stitches with a size 11 needle. Knit for desired length (this will be one of the straps). Remember, there will be some stretching, so account for that). When done sew the strap to the opposite side of the bag.

You should have 3 stitches remaining on a stitch holder. If you used a size 15 needle, knit the three remaining stitches with a size 13. If you used a size 13 needle, knit the three remaining stitches with a size 11 needle. Knit for desired length (this will be one of the straps). Remember, there will be some stretching, so account for that). When done sew the strap to the opposite side of the bag.

CarmenIbanez
05-04-2007, 01:56 PM
It looks great!

cam90066
05-04-2007, 09:03 PM
Might you need a 'pm' insertion in this line?

***Join in the round, knit two rounds***

You've gone from circ back to flat here?

***Knit 4 more rows (120 stitches). ***

cam

letah75
05-04-2007, 10:12 PM
Didn't go back to straight knitting, I stayed in circular. I guess you could put the place markers in that row. Basically what I'm doing is knitting the bottom (the first 5 rows), then joining in and starting to circular knit. The next two knitted rows will form a stocknitte stitch edge, that will 'fold'. Then there will be pattern on one half, pattern on the other side, and then six stitches opposite of one another will be in garter stitch.

Those will carry up the side and become the handles....I don't think I'm explaining this right....So I've posted some pictures on my [url=www.letah75.blogspot.com]blog[/blog].

cam90066
05-05-2007, 10:35 AM
Lethah,

To expand on my comments...

***Basically what I'm doing is knitting the bottom (the first 5 rows), then joining in and starting to circular knit. The next two knitted rows will form a stocknitte stitch edge, that will 'fold'. ***

Originally you stated:

***Knit 5 rows straight knitting
Join in the round, knit two rounds ***

Rows are done on flat, rounds are done on circs. In one you say 'two knitted rows' and the other is 'knit two rounds.' Some might find that confusing. My comment about inserting 'pm' is to assist knitter in knowing where the rounds start if you're actually doing rounds (and not rows).

In your orig pattern you stated:

***Repeat the Pattern stitch for desired length.

Knit 4 more rows (120 stitches). ***

I took the 'repeat the pattern' to be done in rounds. But then you advise to 'knit 4 more rows.' Rows would be done in flat.

Yet, in your reply you said:

***Didn't go back to straight knitting, I stayed in circular.***

Perhaps the only clarification needed is to be certain of your use of 'rows' vs 'rounds' as they're not the same.

cam

letah75
05-05-2007, 12:25 PM
Ok, that makes total sense! Thanks! I'll make that change.

bobi1218
05-05-2007, 08:37 PM
Ok, this might be a totally dumb newbie question, but what is SKP in line 3? The only thing I can think of is slip, knit, pass the slipped stitch over.

letah75
05-06-2007, 02:57 PM
Ok, this might be a totally dumb newbie question, but what is SKP in line 3? The only thing I can think of is slip, knit, pass the slipped stitch over.

You got it! Slip one stitch, knit the next, and pass the slipped stitch over. It's a shortened version of Slip, knit, psso.[/quote]