PDA

View Full Version : knitting with 2 colors

dora little
05-04-2007, 09:06 PM
Hey everyone, its been a while that I havent been logged in. and i wanted to delete my account silly me!
:oops: :oops:
I have been practicing my knitting. and i have to say im TOTALLY ADDICTED , which is GREAT!!!! :happydance: not to long ago
i bought a book called "Stitch and Bitch" it's fun and colorful.

Speaking of practicingI just finished my red scarf that i've been working on FOREVER !whoot :cheering: :happydance:

So now I want to start on something new, i decided to try making a scarf, but with two diffrent colors, Red&yellow and im SO LOST :wall:
In the book it talks about how to start a new ball of yarn it says to cut the old yarn,leaving about 6in long tail.then it says to hold the two pieces together and star knitting.
heres my question:
#1- Everytime i want to start a new color, do i cut the sting of the one that i want to use?

#2- Do i attach a slip knot to the old year and add the new color yarn?

#3- Or do i felt them together and start knitting that way?

Any diagrams would be very helpful or other video links

thanks everyone for helping me :heart: :hug:

redwitch
05-04-2007, 09:23 PM
I wouldn't use felting with two different colours but a Russian join right in the right place is what I'd do to give an easy secure join, no ends, no colour mixing.

Sarah

Hildegard_von_Knittin
05-04-2007, 10:07 PM
The kind of yarn you're using and the technique you're knitting makes a difference on how to add new colors of yarn too. (I say this not just for your benefit, Dora, but everyone's).

Amy has a video here (http://knittinghelp.com/knitting/basic_techniques/misc.php) that explains the different methods of changing yarn and when/why they are appropriate.

Remember you can only felt animal hairs, so if you're knitting with acrylic yarn, all the spitting and splicing and rubbing won't make a difference.

If you're using really slippery yarn, you might want to leave a longer tail for extra security when you're weaving in the ends.

Knitting with both strands together for a few stitches won't work if you're knitting with different colors... meaning it might not work in your color scheme. It also becomes more awkward the thicker the yarn is.