PDA

View Full Version : Which type of bind off?

cookworm
05-04-2007, 11:58 PM
What is the best bind-off for a kerchief knit out of 100% cotton worsted weight yarn? It's something like this (http://www.craftyarncouncil.com/projects/july00_knitproj_lg.html). I've never knit with 100% cotton before and I want to make sure that the bindoff on the FO isn't too tight or won't stretch out of shape during usage.

Braden
05-05-2007, 12:22 AM
I would say your usual bind off, just be sure to do it loosely. Since I typically use a knit, alternate, sewn, and casting-on bind off, I would pick the casting on. It is usually the loosest and it imitates long tail cast on exactly.

cookworm
05-05-2007, 12:27 AM
Thanks, Conti! Is there somewhere that explains on how to do the casting-on bind off? I'm not familiar with that, and I wasn't able to find any videos on this site for it. :oops: I did learn how to do a crochet cast-on to match the knit bind-off and I was pretty proud of myself for that one :happydance: , but this is going the other way (using a bind-off to match the cast-on rather than using a cast-on to match the bind-off).

Braden
05-05-2007, 06:57 PM
Actually, the only place I've seen it is in Elizabeth Zimmermann's books. She invented the technique, so I don't think it would be anywhere else.

Calamintha
05-06-2007, 02:03 PM
For cotton I think I would do a regular bind off only with a larger size needle. I have made several triangle shawls and usually bind off with a larger needle if I am using something without much stretch to it.