PDA

View Full Version : O.T Tatting

Nobones
05-05-2007, 08:28 AM
Do any of you Tat? I've been learing for just over a year now. I've just finished a long bit and put it around my first knitted bag. Will post piccies when I can. Just wondered if there was other 'tatters' on the forum?

KnitClickChick
05-05-2007, 09:51 AM
Funny you mention this, I was just thinking about it the other day. About a year ago, I started getting into tatting. Bought all kinds of stuff, just picturing all of the doilies and things I would make. I got pretty good at making little flowers. It was about that time though that my knitting addiction started to get serious, and I haven't picked up a shuttle since. This is something I would really like to get back into and learn to do well though. One of the reasons I think I didn't stick with it is because information on tatting is hard to find!! It is such a beautiful art but there doesn't seem to be much interest in it. I think I'm gonna go dig out my shuttle and see if I can get back into the swing of things! Thanks for posting!

meearnol
05-05-2007, 11:12 AM
I have a few Tats...

Oh wait, you're not talking about tattoos. :teehee:

Incidentally, when my grandmother died I got a TON of old handkerchiefs and doilies that she made. Several of them have tatting on them. I've been curious about it since I got them. Any info anyone can post would be kind of cool. I have no idea how it's done.

KnitClickChick
05-05-2007, 11:31 AM
Here are a couple sites for tatting:

http://personalpages.tds.net/~tatting/

http://www.bellaonline.com/subjects/2427.asp

http://www.wcnet.org/~scwheels/

Krautie
05-05-2007, 05:25 PM
Yes, I do tatting....sometimes :D

But most of the time I'm knitting :teehee:

Some years ago I saw some tatting pages on the net and I was really fascinated. With the help of some homepages I teached myself and the begin was pretty hard.

I've made some doilies, bookmarks and stuff for decorating easter-eggs.

And I would love to combine knitting and tatting for a garment....but I did not have the right idea yet :??

misstialouise
05-06-2007, 08:22 PM
Tatter here..

I've been tatting for about 4 years. I've made mostly small gifty things for other people.

Nobones
05-07-2007, 06:06 AM
I have loads of 'How to leaflets' and little practice patterns, I would happy to get copys made for anyone who would like them. Just let me know.

I have too many ideas combining tatting and knitting. I've just finished a very basic slipper, too plain I thought. I tatted a BIG flower and lots of little ones and now it looks much better.

I tat a lot, I have 3 hospital appointments a month and sometimes it's easier to take a small ball of cotten and a shuttle with you than your current wip. Especialy when you wip happens to be a ruddy big dressing gown!

I can't put piccies yet, our digital camera is broke :pout:

KathyinCali
05-07-2007, 01:31 PM
Tatter here...My Grandmother began teaching me tatting when I was 13 and I got very good at it. I haven't for the past few years since I make knitting my number 1 but I always pick up a shuttle and take it with me when I go home to North Carolina for a week.

aprilbetty
05-08-2007, 08:34 AM
I am a tatter who hasn't tatted in years. My great-grandmother tatted, then skipped a generation, and my mother taught herself to tat. She taught me, and I taught my two daughters. I only made snowflakes for the Christmas tree, but my mother made beautiful doilies for every woman in the family. I would love to be able to combine tatting with knitting.

Aprilbetty