PDA

View Full Version : sweater pattern measurement issue

chiricahuagal
05-06-2007, 12:31 PM
I'm knitting a man's crewneck pullover from Knit It magazine. It gives a diagram of the pieces and the measurements in inches. So far, all the measurements have been right - I keep holding it up to my DH and fitting, and it works - size XL.

Last night after he went to bed, I finished the front. However - the one measurement I didn't check was the measurement from top of shoulders to bottom of crew neck - on the pattern, it's 2 1/2 inches, and that is before the neck edging is added. That is waaay too short - of course, I finished it and bound off the tops before measuring it on him this morning.

I measured a crewneck t-shirt - it measures 4 inches from the back of the neck to the bottom of the crewneck not including the neck edge.

I've frogged back to 4 inches (I mean, I have 4 inches left to knit to top of shoulders) - I did a little bit of searching for similar patterns to see what this measurement would be, but did not find anything - I'm hesitant to make the opening 4 inches when the pattern calls for 2.5 - does anyone else have a crewneck pattern that gives that measurement? Should I go with the 4 inches?? My gut says yes, my inexperience wavers and someone here is always saying "trust the pattern" but dang if I'm going to knit this sweater and have it choke my DH!!

Just for reference, the photo shows the model wearing it over a crewneck t-shirt, which shows about 1 inch above the sweater neck - it is not meant to be a turtle neck or mock turtle neck. Also - the back of the sweater does not make any allowance for the neck - the entire last row is all bound off, straight across.

thanks for all help and advice!

SbutterAMfly
05-08-2007, 06:52 AM
I would suggest giving it a try.
You already tried the 2.5" and that was too tight, so the worst that could happen is that the 4" be too long. At least that won't choke him, right?

To me, 4" seems like an okay measurement for a neck, but I'm also, not familiar with that specific pattern.

Let us know how it turns out.

Happy Knitting! :muah: