PDA

View Full Version : Joann or Michaels

temmy
05-07-2007, 01:32 AM
Which store do you prefer to go to? Which store has more assortment of yarns and other knitting stuffs at a cheaper price? I guess location would be a factor so I'm looking at stores located near San Francisco.

Thanks.

knitwit628
05-07-2007, 07:16 AM
I usually prefer Michaels because in my area they seem to be not as pricy, but i'm not sure abut san francicso.... :??

Jax3303
05-07-2007, 07:39 AM
seeing as every location of either store dosen't have the same inventory, Just because the Joann closest to me has more yarn than the Michaels closest to me does, then it dosen't mean that the ones close to you will be the same. Saying that, I shop at Michaels more often. Simply because of my employee discount. As far as I've seen, Joanns and Michaels have the same prices on stuff.

quiltbugj
05-07-2007, 07:52 AM
I buy online at Joanne's. If you have three orders tha total at least $25 you get free shipping for the rest of the year!

aineepooh1
05-07-2007, 08:41 AM
I like Michaels selection but i like Joanns' prices.. b/c Michaels doesn't put their stock on sale very often.... whereas Joanns or Hobby Lobby ( I know we have a thread about how they are giving poor service at the register... anyhoo) :pout: I am generally after a sale... IMHO Michaels doesn't offer them that much so i got to Joanns' or HL,

Quiltlady
05-07-2007, 09:10 AM
I shop at Joanns much more often because of their fabric too. I recenlty was at Michaels after not being there for over a year. I wanted some cotton blend yards and they had just what I was looking for. PErsonally I like ACMoore's selection of yarn the best. But I will not shop at all three places now. :teehee:

Silver
05-07-2007, 09:16 AM
As much as I've heard contrasting stories about Joann's vs Michaels, my advice is to check them both out and decide which is better in your own area. I've heard a lot of people prefer their Michaels, and as many prefer their Joanns. I prefer my Joanns because the knitting section is at least 3 times as large as that of Michaels. But both are in the same shopping center so it doesn't matter one way or the other to me!

(Except that I'm the knitting teacher at my Joanns, so obviously I prefer Joanns) lol

I think the local store managers have a lot of say in how much of what goes in their stores, so it's going to differ from place to place.

marykz
05-07-2007, 12:44 PM
I agree with SIlver- you are just going to have to take a drive and check them out... in my area, JoAnns (a superstore) has more yarn (by far) but equal needles/ notions. The prices are about the same. They both offer coupons.

I personally prefer JoAnns, b/c they have fabric (my Michael's doesn't- just a few fat quarters here and there) and sewing stuff. and actually offer classes. I prefer Michaels for the scrapbooking, kids crafts, house-crafts stuff (wreaths, baskets, cheap frames)

I also like that JoAnns will send you coupons by email. Michaels coupons are only available here in the local sunday paper.

Ummm I'm starting to think I have a crafting problem...... :oops:

dink
05-07-2007, 01:19 PM
I prefer Michaels over JoAnn's because it seems like the JoAnn's in my area don't stock their yarns/needles all that often. I've gone back a few times, and the same needles have been out of stock for over a month, even though I've been told they'd be getting a new shipment.

I prefer Michaels. But, I'd say check both out if they are close to you.

letah75
05-07-2007, 02:19 PM
In I think it's Walnut Creek, there is a Joann's superstore, it is kinda like a Joann's outlet. I always go there at 6am the day after Thanksgiving, I get great prices.

dakatzmeow
05-07-2007, 07:47 PM
i prefer michael's over joann's because joann's pulled a bait and switch on a big sale. picture 3 big bins of yarn, all marked at a wonderful sale price, and only one tiny section of the 3 big bins was actually on sale. :!!!: when approached about it, the person in charge just shrugged.

temmy
05-08-2007, 01:05 AM
Thanks everyone for the suggestions/comments. I'll try to see both stores. :happydance:

melissa.atkins
05-08-2007, 01:09 AM
I think it depends on what you are looking for, I prefer Joann's I think it has a better selection of yarns and the sales are better. I use their coupons all the time too. Although I can't say I am pleased with ordering online, it seems it takes forever for it to be delivered.

suzeeq
05-08-2007, 10:09 AM
Doesn't it seem like Joann's online prices are more expensive (except sales) than in the stores? I thought so but don't have one near me to compare.

sue